1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Notch snubs Microsoft's closed Windows 8

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 1 Oct 2012.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

Minecraft has not been put on any major store, Is it a huge shock that its not going to be on microsofts store, Minecraft does not need windows store to sell.

If minecraft was on steam origin gog ect i could maybe understand this, But its not he has said before he has no intension of putting it on steams store or any other store for that matter.

Its on apples App store but thats a totally diffirent product range.

Desktop applications dont need a dedicated store to sell most people will happily buy from the cheapest source, How many have purchased from steam in the last few years brand new games at full price. Its not as many as people think, but ask the same question about steam sales and its alot of people.

Amazon play.com to name 2 will always be cheaper in the uk than any online store.

A better question would of been, Will you be porting this game to Windows RT?

Xbox 360 and Apple Store are not the same thing as a windows x86 store. Windows desktop does not need a windows store to sell.

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Never bought a full price game on steam :D ... they always end up at reduced price after a few month.

3. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

He didnt seem to have any problems with bringing Minecraft onto Apples OS.

Weird that.

Maybe now with all his gold he can afford to be a hypocrite.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

as i said above windows x86 store is alot different to an App store for Ipad Iphone, or andriod store for andriod products.

Windows RT will probably get minecraft. I dout Windows desktop will, They are not going to be the same store, you will not be able to use your x86 store purchases on a windows RT tablet.

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Windows RT store is a subset of Windows 8 store. Windows 8 Store is Windows RT apps (Metro, ModernUI, whatever they are called) plus the certified x86 apps. If there will be a Windows RT Minecraft in Store, then that will mean the same application will be available on Windows 8.

This topic is about the x86 version of the game, not about the possible Windows Runtime version.

6. faxiij

faxiij Minimodder

How can anyone take a person seriously that supports Apple?

Apple and their system is the worst out there, by quite a margin. So if 'Notch' supports that, all else he says is pointless, without meaning.

I appreciate the gaming industry being rebellious, so that MS remains aware of gaming needs. Personally I just hope, that mobile/tablet gaming never gets strong enough to cause MS to ditch games support on the desktop completely. You never know.

As for Windows 8, I think it's great. Lots of advantages. It's different, yes. But that is not the problem. The problem is the common lazy person, that doesn't like change and rather than embracing it, just starts moaning nomatterwhat. People that just want to complain and can't add anything constructive should just shut up. That includes 'Notch' too.

7. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Surely your headline should have been "Notch makes stupid comments about Windows 8"? You could've then pointed out to everyone how his statements don't actually have any grounding in reality, much like those made by Gabe Newell.

8. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Huh, if it really is true software has to be certified before it runs on Windows8 then I wont get it. Ive defended windows 8 alot up to now, especially against those who have only gone through heresay or tried early BETAs.

But if they are going the apple way then screw them - ill stick with windows 7 until a more viable option becomes available.

9. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

It's not true. The only reason software needs to be certified is if you plan to make it available through the Windows 8 store. If on the other hand you plan to make it available through the same methods as you would currently then it doesn't need certifying and will run just fine. This concept of a 'closed' platform has no actual basis in fact and has come about from people like Gabe Newell making comments based on mistruths and/or conjecture and then news sites posting them without taking any time to verify the accuracy of what's being said or include the correct information.

10. faugusztin

Software needs to be certified to be in Windows 8 Store. It is pretty much the "Windows 7 Logo" program to get this badge from Microsoft :
    [​IMG]
    The only difference is that requirements for the logo are now requirements for listing desktop Windows applications in the Store.

11. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

oh, that's not a problem then as devs wont release through it if it means less people having access and have to go through that process surely.

12. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Worried about a closed system but ported minecraft to both iOS and xbox360?

Just trying to keep his name in the press. Move along people nothing to see here.

13. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

So, he's made all the money he wanted from it, and now won't be going to extra effort to get it into another sales channel? Shocking!

Seriously, who cares? If you want it, you can still have it, installing it like any other application ever. I don't think it would really help move more copies anyway - it isn't as if everybody who has even the most passive interest in gaming isn't aware of Minecraft. I mean, the dude sold how many copies when it was still in alpha?

Going the Linus route of being a loudmouth to no purpose is a mistake, in my opinion. How about he start working on something new, rather than whining about how awful the Win8 store is? (Hypcritically, since he did go on XBox Live and to Apple's ecosystems.)

Too bad Minecraft was written in Java, too - I'd like to play it, but there's no way in hell I'm putting Java on any of my personal machines. There we go - how about he rewrite Minecraft using a language that isn't riddled with security holes?

14. faugusztin

No such thing exists.

15. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Anything TUIFKATUIFRTAM*-based, whether it's x86-based or not, will have to go through the Microsoft Store. Only exception is made for enterprises, which are allowed to sideload TUIFKATUIFRTAM-based applications. That requires a special Enterprise product key (and presumably Win8 Enterprise). Read more here.

*The UI formerly known as the UI formerly referred to as Metro

Tags: Add Tags