1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia G-Sync unveiled as stunning new monitor syncing tech

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 18 Oct 2013.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No it would still work, but you wouldn't get the benefit.

I doubt it'll make its way into TVs - how many are 'gaming' orientated in design? Plus consoles won't have it either (unless it gets reverse engineered by AMD).

2. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Consoles already have it, at least in the sense they only ever deliver complete frames at a fixed rate (or at least they should). Gsync goes a step further by offering the option of synced frames at a higher and variable rate.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I've yet to see ANY TN panel come even close to the colour and contrast uniformity of even a cheap IPS panel.
    That's more of a controller issue. HFR IPS panels exist, e.g. the Yamasaki Catleaps. And with the various *VA panels, there's that 120Hz Eizo panel (and that's 10bit too).

What Nvidia describe seems to be an extension of the DisplayPort protocol (already packet based) to allow arbitrary vsync. While Nvidia's own implementation bay be locked to their cards in some way (though probably not, it'd make adding support for existing cards very difficult, along with all the key revocation issues that HDCP has), there's nothing to stop AMD and Intel implementing the same protocol addition, and nothing to stop other monitor manufacturers implementing the protocol without any authentication.

I can see this being adopted in the mobile space with eDP and Panel Self Refresh, in addition to 'dirty region' rendering. Lowest possible latency (and therefore responsiveness) without needing to jump between idle and full-power to hit 60fps.

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

No :)

5. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

I saw the little board, the REAL price should be below $50 bucks, not $175!

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The iphone is tiny, it shouldn't cost more than 20 quid!

7. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Sounds amazing.

The only problem is I do not have a great deal of money, so I can not see me getting rid of a lovely 24" 16:10 IPS monitor to buy a 16:9 TN job.

I am guessing a fair few people may find themselves in a similar quandary.

8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

So the advantage is I pay more for a monitor with G-Sync than I do a GFX card with the grunt to sync with the monitors native hertz?

If so, I'm not sure what I think.

9. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

It's a shame they've made this proprietary - it wouldn't be much of a step to add this to DisplayPort on top of the panel self-refresh stuff, and get it available to everyone

10. Deders

Deders Modder

I just use D3DOverrider to enable triple buffering and I get no tearing whatsoever with the same framerates I would get if Vsync was off.

11. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

If there's one thing Nvidia are the best at it's definitely making cool demos lol.

I have a choice between a 1080p 60hz monitor or a 1440x900 75hz one and I opted for the latter as it gives me higher frame rates when used with Vsync. I just use AA to offset the lack of resolution.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

They have said they are willing to license it. It's not surprising since the cost of developing a dedicated chip is how many million?

13. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Tbf, my next card will be nvidia. So I will take this as a plus. I sure hope they do licence this and AMD and Intel just swallow it up and go... Otherwise expletive deleted.

14. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

I just read on anandtech that it is actually DisplayPort with a bit of fiddling going on.

Given how much it costs to make a chip, I'd say it's more surprising that they did, rather than working with one of the existing eDP device manufacturers to add this capability to the next generation/revision of an existing chipset

15. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I'd imagine it is because they want money off licencing. Which is fair enough if you are investing the time making the damn thing. Although it kind of opens the floodgates for others to do so and confuses everyone with patents.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

He goes onto describe the PCB is a dedicated chip with 'significant' frame buffer. DP has a ~1MB/s 'side-baidwidth' (I can't remember the correct term) where the display and display device can talk to each other (we use it in the PadFone too), but this seems to have been expanded so you can no longer have DP audio even with G-Sync.

I think if they released more technical details we'd be able to undo some animosity towards it. I'll try and talk to our PM tomorrow as I'm interested in an upgrade kit myself. They have no spare kits in house cause I asked last week, but if they can give me some info and NV OK it I'll post it up.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Oct 2013
  17. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Well, yeah, but the iPad LCD has a displayport chip with an embedded frame buffer too - and they retail for $40 including the 2048x1536 LCD and the backlight.

Haswell already supports eDP out of the box, and the TI/NXP displayport chips with panel self-refresh are <$5 in volume. Seems bonkers to expect people to pay $175 for this when it's not a million miles away from what's achievable now! I guess it's just a bit of product differentiation and hopefully the rest of the industry will catch up soon

18. SimoomiZ

SimoomiZ What's a Dremel?

19. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Remember that current panel controllers can treat displayport almost identically to scanline interfaces (e.g. DIV/HDMI). To create a flexible controller that can accept arbitrary updates at a significant framerate means new ASICs to drive the panel. When you're fabbing chips, an order of 100,000 constitutes a small order, and carries a price premium. Add to that the cost of developing very high speed electronics (image capture and output are the fastest chips you'll find outside of CPUs and GPUs) and costs for a new controller aren't going to be small.

Personally, I'll be waiting for an IPS panel to be wedded to the controller though.

20. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

w00 h00, I've got that monitor and the GTX 670 supports G Sync. $175 you say? More like £200 for us here in the UK.

Tags: Add Tags