1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Baz, 13 Sep 2012.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Wait, wut??????

Did I read that right, Bit-Tech are going to include SLI & Crossfire in their GPU tests?

Did hell freeze over whilst I wasn't looking or something?

2. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Same reason this review included GTX 580, 570, 560, 460, HD 6970, 6950 and HD 6870 numbers.

Because you lot asked for it:thumb:

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Personally think its a waste of money, performance in bf3 is below the 60fps most people would want at 1080p.

You can buy a 580 second hand for £130 if your willing to its the card to buy. If your not willing to buy second hand then I'd still consider saving up some extra cash to 660ti levels.

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Why do you need 60fps?

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

This card should be the £150 option and the 660Ti should have launched at the £180-£200 price point.

Sorry but this new generation of cards have been and still are ridiculously overpriced.

6. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

While this is something I'd agree with (680 and 7970 launching at £400+ instead of the £350ish in the past preserved for the high-end), You can only judge products against what they're on the market against. This card is about as fast as a GTX 570 , yet at £180 is £110 cheaper than when that card launched in Dec 2010. Ok, that's a £110 price drop over the space of close to 20 months, but it is at least a step forward; the market hasn't just sat there asking the same cash for the same performance.

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

on the subject of price points and competitors at each one, i think i commented on another thread about this not being a too dissimilar situation than the last gen. cards from nvidia and ati slotting in between each other on both performance and price works for both of them:

you've got a budget of £160 for a gfx card - the 7850, but for just £20 more you can have the 660 which would give you more power.

you've got a budget of £180 for a gfx card - the 660, but for just £20 more you can have the 7870 which would give you more power.

you've got a budget of £200 for a gfx card - the 7870, but for just £20 more.......

It's obviously not quite as simplistic as that and gets a little more blurry the higher up you go, with the factory overclocked and double memory cards straying into the territory of the next model up, but they (nvida and amd) know that computer enthusiasts will always want just that bit more power, those last few extra fps. They don't want you to have to choose between one make or the other for the same price.

the card you buy will ultimately be determined by how much your willing to spend when you hit that 'confirm order' button and quite often, whether your green or red.

Chicken76, Guest-56605 and Baz like this.
  8. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Well summed up The_Crapman, excellent post.

9. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I remember paying £245 for my 2 GTX 570's from Dabs on release. That was with a £10 off voucher (I don't think cashback was involved). Did I get the best deal ever? They were still dearer a year later.

What is going on with the GPU market these days?

10. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

+1 and rep'd

Though I would like to add don't become glued to either Green or Red

A change once in a while is never a bad thing and besides the hardware is only as good as the driving software instructions

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

GTX what? I could go buy two GTX 650s for £180!

I paid £250 for a GTX 275 back in the day.

12. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Good grief, I hope you're joking. All the fun of SLI and it still wont be as fast as a 660.

13. Uxon

Uxon Minimodder

A good review but I feel I have to agree with Cat on the pricing, a number of 7870 cards are available in the 180-190 range and if both cards are pretty much priced the same I'd go with the 7870 due to the slightly better performance and better overclocking options.

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Of course I'm joking! My point was there's no information behind "I bought two GTX for xxx sum" as it tells us nothing.

15. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Nothing relevant here, it's about having only single slot I/O NOT length.

dunx

16. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Have you ever thought about looking at other resellers for your pricing? I can see 7870s for £180...

Its "pro" nVidia reading which is biased. Neutral would be what I would be looking for in a conclusion.

I think the Conclusion should have been...

AMD had a price drop that has been announced all over the place today on the net yet a number of resellers acted on this THREE WEEKS ago rxcrpt for the one you keep stringing the buy it now button too.

Edit: Looking at posts above mine its clear others have seen this too.

17. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Thanks for the rational post; you make some fair points (apart from talking about bias, which is never the case). It looks as though our Radeon HD 7870 pricing info was indeed a little out of date. It's never fun admitting you're wrong, but on this occasion we were. Sorry about that. As this is an error on our part, I've updated the final page to reflect the 7870's retail price of around £200 (although there are cheaper, and also more expensive ones if you want to get all overclocky, as ever).

Last edited: 13 Sep 2012
  18. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

Just wanted to say thanks for including cards like the HD 6870 and GTX 460, despite adding a few lines to each graph. It's useful to know that my card (a 6870) is still just about competitive this generation, though the upgrade bug is starting to itch again.

19. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

Actually this one is cheaper :D

20. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Congratulations Nvidia on releasing your mid-range cards! Woo-hoo!

Of course it has come 4 months too late for me, so I've purchased 2 x HD7870's for other people in that time and recommended HD7870's to others seeking mid-range purchasing advice. Not much else that I could recommend.
    What is worse than being 6 months late to the mid-range? Releasing a card that still isn't a clear winner or a card that must be recommended. The new 9800GT it is not.

If a game is released that stresses my current GPU in the next 6-9 months then I'll probably be in the market for the next generation to upgrade my own system.
    For the sake of prices and choice I am now hoping that Nvidia can execute a bit better on their GTX760...or GTX760Ti...or GTX760Ti Super-OC Ti w/Racing Stripes and Spoiler.
    But I won't be holding my breath.