1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 3GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 23 May 2013.

1. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Just ignore me then; I have no sense of humour this afternoon. Being stuck in work isn't helping that.

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Same here.

The difference between max settings and near max settings isn't enough to notice when you're mid game. Stopping and looking at the scenery isn't really my thing, but it still looks damn good when I do.

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I think that's key actually. Graphics have improved so far that whilst playing you'd be very hard pushed to noticie the difference between max and very high (or even medium) settings. Metro: Last Light is a great example of this. It looks stunning even on LOW settings and runs beautifully, and whilst my 7950 (so by definition anything above a 660Ti from the green team) can run it on the highest settings at 1080p, should I choose to enjoy higher frame rates I can sacrifice a tiny amount of superfluous detail and achieve just that.

jinq-sea likes this.
  4. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

In other words, you run at low-res.

Anyone on a 12 to 24 month upgrade cycle on GPUs is hard to take seriously.

Last edited: 24 May 2013
  5. Star*Dagger

Another weak review by B-T.

You dinged this on "value" when in fact it is an OUTSTANDING value. For only 650$ (please stop using boutique currencies on the internet!) you get a card that can be overclocked to Titan levels.
    [Using XE.com 550 pounds comes out to 832$ so something is very wrong, it should be listed for 429 pounds. Now I know you guys pay VAT and things cost more in general, but you need to get those prices correct]

You need to ask yourselves "A value for whom?" This card is targeted to those who will buy 3 of them and use them for 3 way SLI. I am overjoyed that they released this, and your review should take in account the target audience, not worry about some old git in Ipswich who cries over XP not being supported anymore .

Hardware is B-T's bread and butter (because we know damned well you can not review games) please rethink this review, or go read better ones and correct yours.

thanks

Yours in Advanced SLI Gaming Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

Last edited: 24 May 2013
  6. Star*Dagger

Find another hobby that is so cheap (only 2000$ a year budget will get you top end gaming).:wallbash:

Additionally, you will not be able to go back to one screen. Using 3 screen myself I could never see going back to low-res (1080p) single screen gaming.

Enjoy the Hobby, it is entertaining and a valid way to take out aggressive tendencies in a socially acceptable manner.

Yours in Illustrative Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

By the time you get to this stage of the comments there really are some dicks about...

Value is a perception, not a fact. If people decide to buy this, and I am sure many will, then for them there is a value. For those who do not think it is value then they don't 'have' to buy it as there are other options either further down the line or from the RED team.

So many points being thrown around on here are moot. Not long ago people were playing games with maximum settings on a GTX480 even though they ran very hot. Games have not increased that much at all since then. So all you are getting is a few extra frames that you won't notice with a single monitor set-up. The real increase in performance has come with multi monitor set-ups where now you can fairly easily run multiple monitors with just a single card and now even a single GPU. Either way, most users who have those set-ups aren't really in the budget/value sector.

GravitySmacked likes this.
  8. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Don't want to feed the troll but yeah we pay VAT, and things do cost more in general. Which is why Harry was actually spot on price-wise. Clicky click

9. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

The crisis benchmarks appear to show an AMD card above the high end Nvidia Card ( in the first tests graph) however have lower FPS is both minimum and average?

Or did we think AMD deserved to have at least one place higher

10. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Your a bit of a dick.

[​IMG]

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Anyone who says this is hard to take seriously.

Also kudos to Erratum who made me guffaw out loud on a packed train, now everybody thinks I'm insane. :D

12. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

How is this any indication of anyones experience or factual or opiniated response?
    Surely those on a 12 - 24 month cycle are more inclined to see specific changes given this is typical of the actual GPU release groups ( 400,500,600 series nvidia for example )

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

All it is an indication of is bait, from a troll. This is just an extension of childhood attention seeking behaviour - he was probably a bed-wetter. ;) :p

14. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

FTFY :thumb:

15. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

All rise to the stereotypical American house dweller who has money to burn as he has no family who want nor need him.

Star*Dagger your point could of been put across in just one sentence. The card is a worthy upgrade for those seeking to or running multiple screens. Which is an obvious point to begin with. B-T's target audience certainly isn't jumped up sprogs who think they can patronise just because they have NV Surround.

12-24 months isn't a bad GPU cycle even for hardcore enthusiasts. So I'm not quite sure just what to call you. Hermit maybe.

16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Aaaaaaaaaand now that the troll has been fed, we can get back on topic... ;)

I think the epeen point stands only if people buy such a card with the intention of flaunting it. I'm sure some people - whether in the minority or not - would like a GTX 780 simply because they consider it a good long term investment. Not everybody is financially shrewd or constantly looking for the best ways to save money; some people just want the best, however much it may cost. Give me £500 for a GPU and I'll almost certainly buy a preowned GTX 680 for half that amount, but I'm financially shrewd and constantly looking for the best ways to save money. :D

Tags: Add Tags