1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia responds to Torvalds' Linux attack

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 20 Jun 2012.

1. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Only inasmuch as any of the biggest players are actually described by that.

The interesting thing about Red Hat is the RPM system, which if anything seems to be even less reliable than apt, which in itself is so flaky that it makes me mutter "just give me a damned installer and stop farting about."

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Has anyone read the first thread, and then this one? The fanboyisum on both sides is hilarious. It pretty much wipes out any point either side wanted to make.

This makes me laugh..no really, it does. I won't add my own opinion simply because it would get converted to one side or another.

This could be attributed to my warped humour, or it could simply be you guys cannot have a balanced argument without creaming yourselves over your preferred side.

3. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I don't have a side. I prefer Linux over Windows, but I only have Windows 7 installed on my system as I am a PC gamer. I have Virtualbox installed (I hate dual booting) so i can test other operating systems, and keep my views on them topped up.

Linus isn't a troll. He is effectively the "CEO" of "Linux Corp" only he isn't actually CEO and there is no Linux Corp, so he can be as truthful as he likes about things. I like him as there is no pandering to anyone, he is honest about his views and the reasons behind them. He doesn't seem like an unreasonable man. It's just every other person at his level has to please shareholders, whereas Linus just wants to enable people to use technology to please themselves.

4. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

RPM and APT are different things - APT is a front-end (to DPKG), RPM is a back-end (often with the zypper front-end).

Anyway, since when was apt (and DPKG) ever flaky? Maybe since you didn't know how to use it properly and screwed it up? Very old versions of zypper (and RPM) were sometimes slow and a bit flaky, but newer versions are stable. Both are miles better than Windows Installer and InstallShield.

5. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Usually I'm just told to type "apt-get install foobar", which in my experience causes the screen to fill with error messages and not much else.

6. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Phil is a learner troll in the linux section. Same OLD irrelevant points from linux of yesteryear.

7. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

If only.

As usual I am forced to point out that these problems will not be overcome by everyone pretending they don't exist, which seems to be the usual approach of the opensource community.

8. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Phil if your serious about this, and your not being a troll, I urge you to try linux mint 13 cinnamon. Just give it a whirl. I can honestly say hand on heart it is one of the easiest systems to setup and use, on par with win 7. Win 8 is the worst OS I have used by far. Even worse than some of the linux distros from around 10 years ago. Which I admit were poor.