1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics nVidia vs ATi - DX11 - finally we know the winner?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Synay, 5 Jul 2010.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

That's what tessellation's all about though! It's like having 16xAA - you could be more than happy with 4x, 8x is the point at which a human can't really tell the difference and 16x is decadent luxury :D .

Unfortunately you can't put more than 2 dual GPU cards in SLI/Crossfire - and the scaling would be effing horrible if you could.

I've also just thought of something: I reckon that the guys who did the testing must've had a secondary monitor running - this would explain the terrible minimum framerates for ATI.

2. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

I've always said NVIDIA are better and here is the proof. Irrelevant and pointless test, but regardless, NVIDIA won hands down. I certainly don't care how much power things use... if I don't have enough, then I buy a new PSU... no hardship.

Last edited: 5 Jul 2010
  3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

If you only run haven benchmark to show off nvidia is best,but if you want to play game in 2010 ATI is the one to go for.These card are for playing games and not running false pointless benchmarks.
    I would also like to add im neither an ATI or Nvidia fanboy i just buy what the best value at the moment which is ATI hands down

4. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

ATI cards and nvidia cards do tessellation in two diffrent ways. ATI has a dedicated tessellation part where Nvidia dosen't.

In short this means that Nvidia when doing nothing else but tessellation will win. However ATI will be able to do tessellation and other assignments at the same time, where Nvidia won't.

This test will be relevant the day GPU's ONLY have to do tessellation.

5. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

In this video what i seen was this.
    Nvidia -50% more power for 150% more performance.
    So in this test.
    Performance = nvidia
    efficiency = nvidia.

6. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Yes, but it's important to point out that Heaven is the only benchmark where you will get these results.

7. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

That may be why my post said"in this test"?
    Would like to see it repeated in some others.

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I thought DX11 didn't use the inbuilt tessellation unit though...

9. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Ha yes, I knew, I was just making what you said slightly more explicit.

If you want other benchmarks (this only has triple crossfire and the drivers are a bit older, but it should still give a relatively good result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, the results are mixed. I excluded the FC2 benchmark simply because FC2 is a load of old balls for benchmarking.

It's interesting how EVGA managed to get less out of their 5870s though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Are those average or minimum FPS? Which ever they are, now that's more like it.

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Proves that with games with Tessellation, the GTX480 works better. Sadly there isn't many of those.

12. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

The 480 is better at EXTREME tesselation i.e. where tesselation is used to the extent that it overflows the ATI tesselation unit. The 480 is more able to redirect flexible resources to deal with the added tesselation (at the expense of whatever that resource was doing).

I also saw this the other day. It's an example of what things look like in games that have less demanding tesselation like Aliens vs Predator.

I'm still interested to see what happens at the mid-range (460/5770), where the ATI cards still have the same full-fat dedicated tesselation unit, but the GTX cards have halved their stream processors.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

Ignoring cost nvidia sli wins now back to reality

You can get 3 5870s for the price of 2 480s with water cool addon ( which you need to use or you fry the cards.)

Noise heat power cost ati wins
    Pure performance from a single gpu nvidia wins

If you can put up with noise heat and power the the 480 is a good buy but without water cooling it's too noisy to live with for most. And in sli it's airplane taking off noisy. My friend give it a week before he water cooled em for silience

I'm not a fan of either but I own 5870 cf as the 480 didn't exist when I brought it. Dout I would of brought the 480 stock either way

14. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Well if you still don't have enough proof, here's Crysis test. :)

15. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Here's the question. Would the extra 8FPS you get in Crysis be worth the extra £350 you pay or the extra 500w used?

pimonserry likes this.
  16. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Lol - are you still banging on about 4-way SLI/xfire ... don't you feel just a tiny bit ridiculous doing that? If I were you, I'd try to focus on some setup that someone other than Jen-Hsun Huang can actually afford.

What's going on mid range up to dual 5870/480? That's all that is relevant for 99.999999999% of us, and I'm sure you can find some good stories there.

17. rollo

rollo Modder

Avr pc is

Duel core amd/ intel processor

4850 maximum as graphic

2-4 gb of ram

Avr on this site is closer to

I750 + 5850 and 4gb of ram

18. DIZZY DAZZLER 2010

DIZZY DAZZLER 2010 Tech nut!

I dont know where this post is going, however everyone knows that the GTX480 is faster than the 5870 but it all boils down to how much money you want to spend and the reward you are after. I admit that I was always a Nvidia fan but having waited ages for Fermi I jumped over to the red team and now have two 5870's in crossfire. I am happy with my purchase as I can play bf2 at max settings at 1920x1080 but I am still itching to move over to the green team, the problem is the additional heat, cost and noise moving to the green team will reward me with 10 extra frames per second!! which if I am honest doesent matter as I only play games with Vsync on and my current setup never drops below 60!!

It all boils down to performance per pound and I believe ATI beats Nvidia all day in the DX11 section of the market!

19. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Enough proof of what? That more money buys more performance, and with more performance comes more power consumption, heat and noise?

Yeah I think we already got that.

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just a thought I had, does anyone else see simularities between Fermi and P4's...? Use lots of power, run very hot, little performance gain over the rival products...