Build Advice Office Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sanguineangel, 20 Jul 2009.

1. Sanguineangel

Sanguineangel What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

I could really use your help.

My work is looking to get a new computer for me, as my current computer is pretty nightmarish.

The wrinkle is that instead of building my own, my work obviously wants to get a compete build for the benefit of security. I have never done that! I don't really know where to start. We did have a look at dell, so that is one possability.

Obviously, price is a priority 1 concern. Ideally the would be looking to spend £300-400 including software.

Is there anywhere you can think of that would be a likely source? This is a purely work machine so it doesn't need super fancy graphics or sound - I just want the best performance for the lowest price really.

Thanks for your help

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

3. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Get it from Dell, also get a decent service / aftersales service to go with it too! :)

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Get it from Dell. Dell tech support is regional for businesses (well I tried small business) and their next business day on site service is serious stuff based on my experience with my laptop from them.

There system is more expensive BUT:
    - You have no junk/crapware or anything like that (so labor cost needs to be paid from your pocket)
    - Official OS disk (no image) is provided. If you have Vista/Win7 the OS disk will be pre-activated and product key pre-entered for you... This special Microsoft built disk has the activation system just check if it's a Dell system or not.
    - Driver disk
    - Excellent service (well here, where I am)
    - Good warranty
    - If you call to order you get negotiate a price and free upgrade and get free shipping (the sale rep is outsourced but it stops here)
    - Windows is already paid for, and you'll get free Win7 upgrade. (XP is also available, as well as Vista/Win7 32 and 64-bit flavor)
    - Dell business platform feature a TPM chip for security software that uses it, such as Windows bit-drive encryption (Ultimate edition only) system, to name one example. Just ask to be sure that the chip is there on a model series, you know, just in case.
    - Full system assemble/disassemble manual is provided on Dell website, even for laptops.
    - Opening the system and changing hardware will not void the warranty, however that part will not be covered by Dell (unless you buy that part from Dell). So RAM upgrade for example won't cause you trouble.
    - Changing OS, changing the partition layout, etc... will of course, not void the warranty.

So there is a lot of up side than going custom build. Remember that businesses usually tend to not overclock there system, they would prefer to buy a new system than to do that, even thus it can save the business a lot of money.

Oh If you have Next business day onsite service, you will always have a system in hand, and if a system replacement is sent to you, shipping in both direction is paid by Dell. You don't need to keep the box as you just switch the old and the new from the box (yes, you can swap the HDD (if that part is not the problem) to avoid a re-install of everything) and send it back with the pre-paid label.
    Also, all system replacements are 100% new (not refurbuished) and is set to be priority build so that you have it as fast as possible.

Last edited: 20 Jul 2009
  5. DarkBanana

DarkBanana What's a Dremel?

6. Sanguineangel

Sanguineangel What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your advice guys

I think it is Dell we're going to. It looks as though you still get all the same warranty benefits by going through the outlet so we're investigating that option. There are some nifty looking machines going in there, considering.

thanks again.