1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Old driver blows up GeForce GTX 590 cards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 25 Mar 2011.

1. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

I like how calm the guys in the video were...

*sparks*

"Oh."

*Walks over*

I'd have thought there would be a little more verbal...

I don't really know why either AMD or Nvidia bothered with multi GPU cards this gen, they can both be beaten comprehensively by cheaper crossfire or SLI set-ups, and both have quite frankly embarrassing features (warrenty voiding OC switch - although some vendors have said they'll honour the warrenty, high power consumption, much downclocking, loud, hot, break...)

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Soooooo, and engineering sample goes phut when it's overvolted and using old drivers. I guess that's why overvolting voids your warranty then.

The way the computer seems to reset just before it burns looks to me like it just takes a second or so for the power circuitry to burn through the chip pakage.

Unless you're a green/red fanboi in which case the video clearly shows a stitch up from a pro AMD site or that nVidia can't build a graphics card. Take your pick fanbois :)

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Very true :lol:, I've had a psu blow up on me & it scared the sheet out of me with a massive flash bang, I wouldn't have even noticed anything happen from the gpu explosion other than it being knackered & maybe a whiff of the smoke lol :D.

4. jadawgis732

jadawgis732 What's a Dremel?

k I've been googling and youtubing my a$$ off for the last 15 minutes. Are you talking about the Toms Hardware vid where they remove the heatsink while running quake 3? more info please.

EDIT:
    did anyone besides catch themselves staring at the word "daft" for 20 seconds and then realize they had no idea who or what a daft is?

//test if this is :lol: then what is :rofl: "Hey guyyys, you missed a spot"

Last edited: 27 Mar 2011
  5. Goty

Goty Minimodder

You do realize that I said I DIDN'T think it was a driver issue, right?

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I love the smell of burning silicon in the morning. ;)

Teelzebub likes this.
  7. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

Nvidias claim that the card was running at 1.2 volts is an absolute lie. The Card was running at 1.025 volts and nothing else.

8. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

this is really bad rep for nvidia, seeing the cards has only been released too early then this.lol

9. ObeyTheCreed

ObeyTheCreed What's a Dremel?

10. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Websites selling the 590 clearly state not to use the supplied driver, this would indicate it is not solely related to 'pebcak'. I certainly wouldn't try running furmark on any of these cards if i'd just spent £600 on one.

11. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

From what i've understood, the newer driver has OCP on all executables, its always on.
    The older driver only had OCP enabled for Furmark and maybe another couple of EXEs.

Basically, the 590 is not a very stable card, and another 'driver mishap' like the one with fan problems, would kill the card. You're relying on the driver to save the card from thermal/electric death.
    Watercooled cards should be pretty safe from any of this, and I think highly recommended for any purchasers of this card.

12. EvoDOOM

EvoDOOM What's a Dremel?

13. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Wow all the AMD fanboys jump all over this. LMAO. Old driver + Huge overclock.....asking for trouble.

But ppl wana see what they wana see.......Oh look an Nvidia card blowing up...herpdurp....

GO AMD!!!!!!!

LMAO.

If you havnt seen enough proof that Nvidia cards are just flat out faster......then your a closed minded fool.

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

You realize i didn't contradict you, but supported your statement ? I meant exactly that this cannot be a driver issue. The VRM did blow up at subsequent restart, and still no one explained it to me how can any driver play role before Windows is loaded.

15. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

The video clearly states it was at 1.025v... not 1.2..

but still, this is what happens when cards are over spec for PCIe2. I'm sure you could get the same result with the 6990 if you raised the voltage a similar amount.

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

that could be true.. they are pulling way over spec

the 6990 doesn't have the same stories though- nvidia probably needs a revision

17. Harlequin_uk

Harlequin_uk Banned

18. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

19. Harlequin_uk

Harlequin_uk Banned

20. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags