1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On our desk this week - 8

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Jun 2006.

1. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

Im sorry bit tech (some of todays topics are going to be a bit negative from me im afraid) but i dont know why your blaiming the adaptor for this speed
    I mean - its limited by the USB speed, what did you expect, 35MB/s is about all USB can do ... what did you expect ...
    You make the product sound bad, when its functioning as well as it can ....

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Little tiny pelt I'd wager

Some useful stuff in this roundup... I wonder if I could get just the power brick for an eSATA drive.

3. Faction

Faction What's a Dremel?

That beverage cooler is what I want!

I believe it came with the $600 CoolerIT liquid cooling system.

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

USB2 has a theoretical bandwidth of 480Mbps (60MB/s) - even in practise this is about 40MB/s, meaning that about 20% of the potential throughput is lost somewhere in the SATA-USB bridge controller.

5. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

That SATA--> USB convertor seems right up my street, given that I want a backup hard drive. But if this kit isn't worth bothering with, are there any that are worth my perusal?

IDE or SATA in fact :)

6. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Ehrm, should we instead leave readers to think that they're going to get native SATA speeds? Nobody is blaiming [sic] ;) anybody...but simply that it is sluggish if you need to run software off of it as opposed to just a general file copy. Otherwise, you're bound to get people who think it might be the solution to run their whole hot-swappable computer idea. The article notes specifically what it is good for, and what it isn't.

Oh, and as Hitman said, you may wish to look at theoretical maximum of USB 2.0. 35 is a bit low.

7. yahooadam

except

480Mbps is the theoretical speed, however in practise you lose a lot

how long is the USB cable between the SATA box and the computer, and was there anything (anything) else on the bus being used
    however, the read/write requests have to be sent sometime, and they are not factored into the HDTach benchmarks

My dads USB HDD get the same kind of speed, as did my HDD caddy (before the PSU died ..)

Edit
    If you have some benchmarks of any USB HDD adaptors that get some good speeds, I'm up for being proven wrong ....

I don't know why you would want to run programs off a HDD, but data and stuff storage, and backups are good uses ....

This thing doesn't even come with a caddy, i mean, its not meant for permanent installation

8. Whelan_999

Whelan_999 What's a Dremel?

How does the can cooler work exactly? I think it would be ok. If it's that hot of a day are you going to take the time to drink a cold can of coke or pepsi? Also that keyboard looks nice, I wouldn't mind dishing out some money for that. The burshed look is sharpe.
    -aaron

9. yahooadam

as said in this thread, its most likely a peltier under that plate, so the plate will get colder ....

10. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

I guess if you made the cold plate for the drink cooler in the shape of the bottom of a can, it would work a little better.

11. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Mike at work got one of those Comfort Curves when he started and, whilst he's got used to it now after a few months, I have to say it's pretty horrible. He says, despite being used to it, he doesn't like it very much. The couple of occassions I've had to use it has been less than pleasant experience, too.

I'm a strong believer in the ergonomic keyboards having them on all PCs I use regularly (namely home and office) but these things are just a weird in-between stage of square and ergo and, imo, it doesn't work. The biggest oddity is what you mentioned, the random larger keys.

Bleh, no. But you're right about the slightly stiff action on the normal ergos, but I prefer a full height key.

I whole heartedly agree on comments from others about MS's peripheral build quality, though. Top rate.

12. Nezuji

Nezuji What's a Dremel?

Maybe you could stick a little mound of steel wool to the cooler plate with some thermal compound to solve the surface area problem? :b

Nezuji :)

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's what it's highlighting, for those who dont know and think USB2 should be "fast", it's still not as fast as an internal connection.

14. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I have that M$ keyboard and it's awsome.. most of ym wrist pain is gone :D

15. yahooadam

ok, but the way its phrased makes it sound very bad, SATA is 150MB/s and SATA2 is 300MB/s - USB2 just cannot compare to anything like that .....

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'm sorry, but I've read the paragraph that you comment on several times, and in no way can I see how it criticises the adaptor or "makes it look bad". It simply points out that:

- it is easy to use;
    - but it is not as fast as SATA.

That (in my opinion at least) is a balanced comparison. You have ease of use, but you sacrifice some speed. You make your choice and you pay your price.

Whether the limitations (or indeed, the driverless, hotswapping benefits) are due to adaptor design specifically, or limitations of USB in general is really sort of irrelevant to the end user. They exist, people need to be aware that they exist, and they need to be quantified. Which is the purpose of comparative testing.

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

In fairness, I can see what yahoodam's getting at, but I don't think it needs stating. The paragraph gives a balanced view of the product imo, and I for one am tempted to buy one. What could make it a perfect statement, leaving out the ambiguity that he's trying to highlight, would be to add a sentence stating the approximate max. bus speed for USB2.0 in MB.

18. otispunkmeyer

otispunkmeyer What's a Dremel?

19. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Depends on the units. 4.18 Jg-1°C-1 = 4.18x103 Jkg-1°C-1

Edit: Never realised that VBull could do superscripts :D

Last edited: 28 Jun 2006
  20. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

I'm sure one of those drink coolers was released ages ago no?

There was definitely a topic discussing it back in 2002 or there abouts.

8-ball

Tags: Add Tags