1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Opera says IE removal "not enough"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 13 Jun 2009.

1. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Maybe just make windows 7 come in a 1000 CD box set where the first cd is DOS and from there you can install the features you want one at a time or the third party equivalent...

2. kirasaw

kirasaw What's a Dremel?

The best solution would be to stop making Windows all together. That would solve the browsers problem plus do away with bot-nets and viruses. The web would be a much safer place if it where not for Windows.

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

thats a pretty dumbass remark if I ever saw one, if there was no windows well there probably would be no internet as we know it besides virus are out for ANY OS you come across, sure windows has the most because umm duh its the most used, if say Apples OS was the most use then oh guess what it would have a bunch of viruses so ya please educate yourself a bit more before making such a profoundly stupid and ignorant post.

Oh and welcome to the forums.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2009
  4. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

If I got a copy of windows seven without ie I would be angry. I use firefox, but sometimes you need ie for non-compliant pages, ect. Its ridiculous. On top of all that I don't want more people using alternative browsers, because then they will be bigger targets for exploits. Its similar to how my mac doesn't get viruses right now, because its not a big target, if a bunch of people start using firefox, it will be.

5. Altron

Altron Minimodder

It's beyond idiotic.

This is another legal issue that results from having legislation and judicature that is completely clueless about computers making decisions about them.

These issues are difficult to comprehend without a technical background, so it puzzles me that people without technical backgrounds are in charge of these decisions. It would be like asking me to judge a figure-skating competition. Sure, I could do it, but would I know wtf is going on? No!

Yes, IE is not easy to remove. But it's easy as hell to bypass. Downloading and installing Firefox, then making it your default browser is a monumental task requiring a grand total of about half a dozen mouse clicks and 10 minutes of time. The two browsers can happily play nice together, you don't need to remove IE to have access to another browser.

As for having an option in the setup menu, ridiculous! Why would Microsoft bundle another's company software, and foot the distribution and support costs? Frankly, the people who use "alternative browsers" know how to get them. We don't need to be spoon-fed. The people who use IE are going to keep using it. Are you really going to select some questionable third-party program over the one you've used before? That's like if I installed Windows, and it asked me whether I wanted to use the Windows Task Manager program or Malfunctioning Eddie's Process Selector program. Obviously, if I've used one in the past, and have no idea what the other one is, I'll pick the one I trust.

There is another scenario almost identical to this, where there is a huge monopoly - car motors. I just found out that if you buy a Nissan car, it comes with a Nissan motor. You don't have any options! Nissan has a monopoly on motors that fit in Nissan cars. Yeah you can install a Toyota motor in your Nissan car if you want, but that's impossible for the average non-technical Joe to do! You'd need to be a mechanic or something. What a bunch of BS! Nissan is a bunch of jerks. When I buy a Nissan, I should be able to get whatever brand motor I want.
    I'm going to go back to driving my tube-frame car that I welded together from spare parts - It's a free download, but if something doesn't work, I need to fabricate a part from scratch.

6. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

you bring up a good point about the car industry, they stick you with their engine, their audio system, their wheels, their exhaust system, and so on, sure you can get options but they control the options, but once you get your car you can change out the audio system, the engine, and so on Windows in this case is no different so if we go after M$ for such things then well anyone and everything that does anything similar should be on the chopping block and when you look at it that way, you can see how ridiculous all of that is and how who in the right mind would make such decisions and how stupid this whole IE and what will come is. Im not supporting IE in anyway I just disagree with the notion of whats going on.

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

They have that option already, some linux distros are very basic.

8. hazed100

hazed100 What's a Dremel?

Opera directors ought to realise we use the software we prefer or favour over others for lots of reasons but Im not so sure the directors of OPERA should be making our decisions for us!. The sheer buggy and failure prone nature of IE is the ONLY reason I personally looked elsewhere for a better browser and I now use GoogleChrome or Firefox or IE. Opera I heard was good but I had already tried google and i liked it so I havent bothered trying it yet. I doubt now that I will ever try it after reading this nonsense about "microsoft havent done enough just removing it"

sheesh I know microsoft are a bit underhanded as a business corp but it doesnt mean they should remove their software so a competitor can replace it, you have to prove yourself more favourable or preferable by being better or offering something usefull that the others dont.

Google Chrome offers a simple interface thats easy to use, a great search ngine and a handy multiple recently visited web page display as you log on. I like it a lot and it doesnt crash or freeze my PC. Firefox is similarly reliable but I feel offers nothing especially new on IE just less crashes etc. IE is useless as far as im concerned and I do my utmost to avoid using it, however some pages i find only work on IE (maybbe older pages set up before firefox,opera,google etc?) whilst annoying its not the end of the world but this is the only area I would like to see microsoft do their best to avoid happening.They should be allowed to package IE with their own OS system code but when we start windows7 it should simply offer us all the browsers to try or links to them.
    When you think about it Microsoft isnt alone in doing this and in most "combined" software (i.e. software with more than one manufacturers program running together) the smaller company usually pays to be included. Googlechrome , firefox and Opera should pay a small fee and be allowed to include their install .exe file in an Extras disc that comes with Win7 OS disc or even on the Win7 disc itself. This way when we install Win7 we can pick which one we like.

If opera wants their software to REPLACE IE on there (this is what they want microsoft to agree to?) then how does this make Opera any better than IE with regards to unfair dominance of the market share. They call microsoft evil for not playing fair but 99% of the people at opera would jump at the chance to be in their position with regards to IE if not with regards to everything. For me I cant trust the Opera representatives, I dont think they are so much indignated as just trying to stir the PR pot and ruin microsofts reputation (have they one? :) ) in the process. They are as dog eat dog as the next guy, stop acting the damsel in distress and step up to the plate with a superior product and BEAT them fair.

Otherwise please shutup ya whines are annoying. Do as google has and take over the universe by offering better stuff :D

worked on me....ALL HAIL LORD GOOGLE, emperor of the virtual universe.

Regards,
    Ming the Merciless.

9. hazed100

hazed100 What's a Dremel?

just a quick point...

PC's are for us to use in whatever manner WE choose and some of the populace wont want to use the internet but instead use their PC for work or play offline. With this in mind how can Opera claim Microsoft themselves are holding opera back? surely ONLY those who choose to use the internet are potential customers and they are essentially available to opera by way of advertising or showing them opera is preferable or better. The fact only a few of us even know about opera shows they have poor PR/advertising and have essentially failed to do what companies like Yahoo or Google have done (i.e. successfully make a name for themselves that leads users to look them up and try them out)
    If windows was ONLY used as a tool for say all internet traffic and includes advertising links etc then you might be able to understand operas position but as the PC is a tool which we can choose to use for a multitude of tasks, not necessarily internet browsing at all, opera's directors have nothing to stand on. They appear to me to be of almost the exact mindset as microsoft. They want their browser to be the only browser you have the "choice" of using and the reason, my guess is, they cant achieve it in the same way everyone else has to, i.e through talent and spending lots of money :D

Screw em if they cant keep up, natural selection at work.
    If they arent up to scratch someone else will step in to take over
    (only wished they used the same principle for the UK banks instead of bailing them out with our money!! biggest theft of the 21st century!)

10. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Hey Opera-guys! How about you make your own OS and lets see if you bundle all other browsers with it :)

The whole saga is just getting so ridiculous and sad. I would LOVE to see a nLite-ish menu when installing the OS, where one could drop all the useless junk off, but that has absolutely nothing to do with monopoly browser, or this current debate.

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well actually Win7 doesn't come with useless junk anymore. MSN, Movie Maker, Calendar, Windows Mail, etc... are downloaded separately. And based on the RC version of Win7, even XP Mode is downloaded separately. As for the rest such as .NET framework... well so many applications needs it. It if it's not windows that installs it it's doing to be at least one of your applications. Unless you consider Windows Calculator junk or the few KB paint, Wordpad and notepad... But now we are going off topic.

12. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

For gods sake this is really p*****g me off now. Microsoft should be able to do what the hell they like inside their own product, Windows. Opera, if you don't like it, make your own damn OS and see how far you get, stupid, retarded, jelous, idiots.

13. ParaHelix.org

I don't even have a comment for how bloody stupid you are.

14. ParaHelix.org

I don't know what kind of Windows you have been using, but when I do a fresh install of any Windows OS I don't see any crap at all. Noob.

15. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Oh come on, yes opera are taking it too far now but look at you! You completely overexaggerate saying it would break windows 7, everybody knows that you should never upgrade a Microsoft operating system as they come with enough junk as it is. A clean install should be done for every Microsoft OS! It's like the law!!! lol

16. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

No, the reason for this is that if you have a corrupted registry or HDD you don't really want to have it transferred on your new OS, where it could potentially cause give you a bad user experience with your system.

17. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

The irony of this is astounding given your triple post.
    Learn to multi-quote and used the edit button before you comment on anyone else's stupidity.

18. ParaHelix.org

Is that all you have given the pure stupidity of the person who I commented on? lol.

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

FWIW, if he's commenting from the site, there's no multi-quote button (the only way to multi-quote is to C&P multiple quotes... :)

And let's have less of the personal attacking please. :nono:

20. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I have a good friend that uses Opera and says it's the best thing since sliced bread, I tell him to "STFU Opera sucks" and that's right to his face

I wish I could say that's to the guy who created Opera

Tags: Add Tags