1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Overheating CPU in HP Pavilion DV5157eu (5000 Series with AMD Turion 64)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by trekkypj, 21 Jul 2010.

1. trekkypj

trekkypj Forward Momentum!!!

Right folks,

So my laptop is now running a fan pretty much all the time. I have run SpeedFan 4.40 and it is showing my CPU core sensor between 76 and 84 celsuis at load with the fan on full whack.

The laptop is old and probably needs a good clean out. However, I also believe, because most of the heat is coming from the CPU, that I need to replace the thermal paste between the heatsink and the cpu. It's running ridiculously hot.

So, what's the usual thermal paste to use (bearing in mind I haven't built a pc in ten years)? Would like to use same stuff for my new build PC too (Intel Xeon W3520 based) if possible?

Any help appreciated.

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I use arctic silver 5

3. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

Arctic Cooling MX-3

Liquid polish stuff is good, but conducts, and is a pain.

Arctic silver 5 is alright thought released 6 odd years ago. I prefer the MX-3 as it has no electric conducting properties and no burn in time. It only recenly came out replacing the older MX-2 (which I switched to from AS5 when it came out)!

Last edited: 21 Jul 2010
  4. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

If you open it up, you'll probably find that the heatsink is completely clogged with dust - thats probably the main problem.

New TIM isnt a bad idea though. There is only ever a couple of degrees between the different ones - i've upgraded a cheap 99p one with a good Zalman paste, and not noticed any temp difference.

5. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

Zalman's Best 'Paste' has only half the thermal conductivity of MX3 and AS3/5!