Motherboards Overlocking what are my options

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by CrapBag, 29 Aug 2020.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

My daughters motherboard

I've kind of asked this before but regarding a non K processor.

I have just installed a 6600K into my daughters motherboard which works fine.

She has 16gb of DDR4 3333mhz ram but this will not run any faster than 2400 it seems, although the motherboard manual states it will only run at 2400mhz on a 7 series chip.

So what i am asking is in the first instance is there anyway of overclocking the 6600K on this board just to get a couple more mhz out of it and is there anyway to get more out of the ram.

I know its a fairly basic board but wondered if there was any tricks ect.

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

A far as I know Z170/270 will offer a lot more options besides the CPU multiplier unlock. H170/270 may allow some RAM clocking but I'm not sure.

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

She can't afford to change boards.

As it is it's muggins here that's bought new ram so she can run dual channel and I bought the 6600k.

Should hopefully get most of it back selling her old stuff.

I'm hoping the 6600k is enough to stop her problems with WOW, but having a little potential OC path would be good.

I have an AMD 570 I can pull from another machine to replace her gtx 770 which hopefully will help also.

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Understood, you have to work with what you've got...

RX 570 should be a decent bump up from the GTX 770.

5. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

most overclocking is a exercise in non scientific measurements with little real world improvements, as in even if you peg everything to the max, its not going to make much of a difference (don't get me wrong Ill overclock my coffee maker if it means its 160ms faster... but unless im on the edge of burning the durn thing out ... is it that big of a deal?)