1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress PaultanDesigns: The Dark Knight PC - FINISHED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by paultan, 19 Nov 2011.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Nice corsair collection, can I have some? :D

Looking great, keep it up!

2. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

Nice any more pictures of the motherboard rotate ?

3. peteski

peteski long live the pc

nice lot of components :rock: :rock: :rock:

4. paultan

paultan R E V E N T O N

more photos

[​IMG]

hmmm this photo just gave me an idea for my project :) I hope it will be great :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Oct 2012
  5. paultan

paultan R E V E N T O N

[​IMG]

BD running at stock and memory running at 1600Mhz only

6. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Awesome, more modding please!

7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Side note; the best thing you can do to get more memory performance out of bulldozer isn't just faster memory; The NB bottlenecks the memory like a Mofo. So a good overclock on that can really speed things up.

8. paultan

paultan R E V E N T O N

i would really love to but I don't have any idea on what's should be the settings for UD7 board.

voltages, timings and all
    so confusing

9. .//TuNdRa

Easy enough. The bios should be similar enough to the 990FXA-UD3 i'm running around with.

Under the M.I.T menu there's a NB multiplier, you just need to change that up, while also upping NB Vcore and Voltage. Just be careful about the heat.

Overclocking the processor is similar, up the VTT and Vcore as much as needed while upping the Multiplier.

Shouldn't need to fiddle with the FSB unless you're really taking it as far as possible. On good cooling; you can hit 5ghz with a Bulldozer chip.

10. paultan

paultan R E V E N T O N

maybe you can post here your OC settings for my references :) if you don't mind. I just tried everything I can with tons of research, but still I fail to start this thing with over 1600Mhz of ram. I can't really make it to high settings and be stable. So exhausted, felt like I just wasted my entire time.

11. .//TuNdRa

Currently? I'm only running 3.8Ghz, but still.

Cpu Multi: 18X

Cpu VTT: 1.55V

Cpu vCore: +0.75

Dram Voltage: 1.65V (It helps keep it stable. Might be why you can't boot at over 1600)

Dram Multi; 8.00x

Dram Timings; 9-9-9-28 (The motherboard, on auto, gets the cunning idea that it'll boot at 9-9-9-21. It fails legendarily on booting if I let it try.) - For your modules at 1866, Try: 9-10-9-27 (Corsair reccomended speed)

HTT link voltage; 1.55V. (More for inter-core stability than anything. You can ignore this)

FSB; Default. (200).

I'm not running an Overclocked Northbridge at the second because the wimpy heatsink on this board gets rather warm, and it alarms me. But I usually do the following;

NB multi: 14X

NB Voltage; +1.00V (I can't remember the exact value)

NB vCore: +1.125 (YOu might be able to go lower with this.)

One extra thing; The motherboard will underclock the chip if it gets near to 55 degrees, to disable this; Go to PC health status and disable "Hardware Thermal Control"

I hope that helps. Those values might be a little high for your 8150, as its' a higher binned chip, but once you've got a foothold; you can start climbing.

Also; If the NB is unstable; everything goes to pot. I can boot this thing as high as 5Ghz on air, but I can't have the NB too high because I don't have the cooling capacity for it at the moment.

Thermal Max on the FX8xxx series is 75 degrees. AMD recommends keeping the chip under 62 degrees to prevent silicon degradation, I hit 48 at load on these settings. Albeit with a massive tower heatsink.

Last edited: 21 Jan 2012
  12. paultan

paultan R E V E N T O N

Thanks! How bout, ht multiplier, cpu pll voltage, cpu/nb ,pci-e voltage, cpu vid?

whats the diffirence between nb voltage and nb vcore? Thanks, after im done with this ill go back to modding.

13. .//TuNdRa

NB voltage is the core voltage, it slightly influences everything else on the board, whereas the vCore is similar, but only affects the NB, balancing the two is key. As the step-down between the vCore and the NB voltage can cause issues if it is too large.

HT multiplier you don't usually need to take higher than 14X, it might be the Processor interconnect speed, but it makes near as makes no difference above 2400mhz. - This is limited by the NB though. It cannot run faster than the Northbridge speed.

PCI-E voltage; DOn't worry. Not unless you're running loads of motherboard power-only cards.

CPU Pll is the CPu vtt I mentioned. I don't get why they have two different names for similar things.

CPU ViD is the CPU vCore, at last check. Perhaps the UD7 has a few more settings than my UD3.

If the CPU/NB is the HTT Link width; set it to 16-bit and leave it as it is, there's no benefit or stability increase to running it in 8-Bit. If not; i'm not entirely sure.

Bulldozer has no LLC, like intel motherboards, so do not expect that the values you set in the bios are absolute. There will be a bit of vDroop. I get closer to +0.67v when set to +0.75 in the bios. Try and keep it in mind when you check the voltages.

Not everything I have stated can be exactly the same on your board. I'm using the UD3, you've got the UD7. There are going to be the occasional difference.

That reminds me. Update to the latest bios: So far the only known issues with the earlier bios that I can recall are Saints Row: The Third and Portal 2 not working, but there may be more applications that won't work till you update, better to play it safe.

14. paultan

paultan R E V E N T O N

[​IMG]

not even sure if this is right.

in bios i set the CPU vcore to 1.42v but according to CPU-z it's 1.29v. Which one is telling the real voltage???

Last edited: 20 Oct 2012
  15. .//TuNdRa

Cpuz, in theory. If you're hitting 4Ghz on that; The vDroop on the UD7 is way more than expected, and that chip is one hell of an overclocker.

Have you left Cool & Quiet and the like enabled?

Looks like you're going to have to work out the average value it drops by, then keep that in mind while overclocking. The fact it's stable at 4ghz at Under what my CPU does at stock is a pretty good indication that's a damn good chip.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2012
  16. paultan

paultan R E V E N T O N

I don't understand how vdroop works, but I think i'll just follow your advice. I think i'll just keep the +.13v in mind when setting the vcore. But after thinking about what you said, hitting 4g.hz at full load and still stable with just 1.200v-1.293v then that's something. :) take note, I'm using the FX's stock cooler haha :)

about the CnQ, i turned everything off. even C6.

what I'm really aimed setting is, what ever CPU freq I get, all I want is to get a HT Link at 2600Mhz, then 3200Mhz NB frequency and 4 modules of 16GB dominator 9-10-9-27 running at atleast 2000MHhz -2200Mhz. I hope it is really possible, Because I really want to achieve that settings and use it as my 24/7 settings. I hope some person good enough to OC this safely.

17. .//TuNdRa

You might need a touch more airflow over the board for 3200mhz NB frequency, but other than that; it's possible. I just achieve 2600mhz on a tiny heatsink as a little test.

vDroop is where the VRMs drop slightly under load. It's the same principle as when you load a power-source and the output drops slightly because it's strained. I'd heard it mentioned that it was bad on the UD7, but I never thought it was quite that steep.

I'd advice keeping C&Q on, it doesn't affect performance and helps keep the CPU cooler quiet, as well as keeping the rest of the machine reasonably cool, as it drops voltages for the processor and keeps the VRMs happier.

18. paultan

paultan R E V E N T O N

ic, 3200mhz i wonder in what voltage should i start safely?

have you tried a benchmark comparing both on and off cnq?

19. .//TuNdRa

Nope. I just know that Cool & Quiet does lead to lower load temps.

For 3200? I dunno. i've never pushed it that far. I'd say just experiment.

20. paultan

paultan R E V E N T O N

im surprised with the h100 im at 4ghz idle lowest temp was only 9deg c