Rant PayPal, what a bunch of b*st*rds

Discussion in 'General' started by Comrade Woody, 7 Mar 2016.

1. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Yeah I think he felt he'd be safe because he was using PayPal :( Misplaced trust unfortunately.

That's handy to know thanks. I know you can use the USB2 in the 3.0 port but when he got his it had a 3.0 cable so it seemed odd when this one didn't.

I don't see a number at a glance but the address is handy and saves me a search so thanks for that.

I do have an update on this as it happens. I've taken it upon myself to try and sort this out and get him a refund, and to that end I attempted to contact eGlobal myself via their ticket system and I've had a reply. The reply claims they've had no prior contact and it's now too late as they'll only do refunds in the first 30 days, but regardless of the content of the message the fact that there's now an open channel of communication is progress. I'll reply soon with proof of previous contact and some excerpts from the Consumer Rights Act and see if I can get anywhere with them.

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

They are in Hong Kong, the won't care less about the Consumer Rights Act.

3. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

They're trading in the UK with a registered address in London so they better.

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Is it a GSM version? I,'m thinking about getting a S4, but for the right price a grey makret S5 would b e fine too

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Thats the thing though, they're not trading in the UK they are trading over the internet (have a UK address shared with around 2500 other companies) and shipping to the UK.

They may hold some stock over here for quicker delivery, but that's about it.

6. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

The law still applies to them, although I take your point that enforcing the law is another thing entirely. The same is true for companies that are entirely based here though.

7. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Yes it is but I want to pursue a refund for him first, especially now they've suddenly decided to talk to us.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I think a UK registered business with a UK based warehouse and at least one UK based employee handling that stock that is taking orders from UK citizens on a UK domain website and uses UK delivery services can be considered a business that is trading in the UK.

9. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Very true.

10. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

You just put it in the half of the micro USB port that the cable will actually fit in. Links up to PC and everything doing that. Backwards compatibility etc.

11. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I was just going to post the same. EE sent me my S5 (worst phone I've ever owned, but that's another story!) with a USB 2.0 cable.

12. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Okay, update time...

The discussion with eGlobal seemed to go well initially, with daily emails. They started out by saying they couldn't refund the phone because we hadn't contacted them within thirty days. I provided proof that we had contacted them twice on the day it was delivered, well within that window, messages they had simply not responded to. Upon receipt of that proof they asked us to submit an RMA request, which is a different form on the site to the contact form. I figured I was either making progress or being dumped on another department. It turned out to be the latter as the first response from the RMA team was that we had to contact them within thirty days and as we hadn't they could not accept a return. I brought them up to speed on the previous exchange and they then tried to twist things and say we had to submit an RMA request within that window, as if the emails they'd ignored simply didn't count. I said they could have asked us to do just that from day one had they replied to the emails, but that the emails requesting a refund certainly counted as a request regardless of the contact method. They have for the time being stopped responding so I guess they're returning to their earlier behaviour and will simply ignore me again now.

With regard to PayPal a new complaint was lodged about the closure of the claim and failure to respond to the original complaint. After waiting a little while this was assigned to someone in the executive complaints team who replied to say they'd looked into the matter and found everything had been done properly as far as the claim was concerned but apologised that the earlier complaint had not been answered and dumped £30 into my dad's account, "not as compensation but [as] an exceptional goodwill gesture to facilitate the return of the item to the address that we provided to you for the seller."

At that point they were hoping I'd accept the £30 and go away I guess. She seemed to be suggesting that we try to pursue a return directly with eGlobal without the assurance of a refund being processed by PayPal, which would undoubtedly result in eGlobal having both the phone and the money and my dad being left with nothing as they are clearly unwilling to accept a return.

I replied and repeated many points I'd made earlier to her and pulled her up on a few comments she'd made which were simply not correct. I also asked why she was persisting with the instruction to return the phone to China and pointed out that eGlobal have a registered office in London, sent the phone from within the UK, and even have a page on their site dedicated to the fact that they have a UK address for returns. I told her I found her response and the £30 to be little more than an insult and insisted she either reopen the claim so we could return the phone to a UK address and have a refund through PayPal, or that PayPal compensate my dad for the full amount of the phone and they could have it to do with as they pleased. I said failure to do one of those would result in escalation to third parties and the closure of my dad's account (which he has held without issue for over a decade).

Yesterday my dad called me to say he'd forwarded me an email from PayPal.

On the one hand I felt this was what they should do, given the crappy way they'd dealt with everything and that it was essentially their mishandling of the claim and poor policies that were leaving my dad out of pocket, but on the other I really didn't think they'd actually relent and do right by him, I thought they'd just let him close the account. Obviously I'm very pleased with this outcome, as is my dad.

I don't imagine they'll want the phone so he'll be free to sell it and whatever he gets is just money in his pocket, which makes this an even better resolution, and makes up somewhat for all the stress this has caused him.

Since I started this thread I guess I've sent a dozen or so messages to eGlobal and PayPal, mainly repeating the same arguments and refusing to accept their answers. With eGlobal I seem to just be going in circles but I'm happy and surprised that my persistence has paid off with PayPal. It shouldn't have taken so much time and effort to get this sorted out though.

TLDR: I got my dad his money back.

13. rma

rma Minimodder

Grats! But I'd be very wary about selling the phone on - they may well block the phone when they realise what has happened and you then have far more hassle to deal with!

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Good news, glad it all worked out :)

15. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Who will block the phone?

Samsung have no interest and the seller couldn't care less. The money is coming from PayPal not eGlobal, PayPal are unwilling to reopen the case and process a refund so they have instead decided to cover the loss themselves as a kind of compensation to make us go away and drop the issue.

There's no issue with selling the phone now provided it's accurately described so the buyer knows what they're getting.

16. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Thanks, me too :)

17. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Maybe I've missed this but as Paypal technically own the phone I'd be asking them to either arrange collection or issue a pre-paid postage label or clarify the position regarding it before selling it on.

18. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

They've made no mention of the phone, only the credit. I believe he's asked for clarification on that in his email accepting the resolution but I doubt they'll accept it, they have done this just to close the case.

19. rma

rma Minimodder

Having refunded you, I'm sure PayPal will go after the original vendor for the money.
    If they have appropriate records, they will have the IMEI number for your phone and could have it blocked in the UK.
    You might sell the phone and 3 months later they get it blocked and you end up with a load of grief from whoever you sold it to!

Just a thought!

20. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

PayPal have barely raised a finger to get this refunded properly over the past three months, the credit we've had now is basically compensation because I wouldn't drop the complaint. They could have chosen to reopen the claim, let us post the phone to the UK address and then refund us for it as we originally expected they would. I think as far as they're concerned now the matter's closed. We're talking about a company that made about $1.2 billion in profit last year, do you honestly think they're going to pursue a couple of hundred quid for a phone? I imagine a large part of the decision to give my dad the credit was because it's ultimately cheaper and easier than continuing to argue about it.

As for them wanting the phone, they don't, the credit has been paid as a "settlement" for the complaint, nothing more.