1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other peaches geldof rip

Discussion in 'General' started by erratum1, 8 Apr 2014.

1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Celebrities pay a high price for their status. We watch everything they do, criticise them at every opportunity, spy on them... You name it.

Me? dude, I would rather die an unknown in the most awful circumstances without any one knowing about it than die and then see my kids treated to posts and comments like yours.

Underneath it all this celebrity is a person, of flesh and blood, no different to your or I.

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I pretty much said the same thing; they're no more important than the rest of us.

Geez.. And there's no need for insults ether. I thought these forums were for the thought provoking and intellectually minded; not for insults. I'm leaving the bit-tech forums and not coming back methinks.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2014
  3. alf-

alf- Minimodder

Very sad news.

Rightly or not, i always find deaths like these have more impact on me, i suppose its because she was near my age, a bit like being slapped with your own mortality.

*le sigh*
    Funnily enough i could have guessed there would be someone having a whinge on what they deem to be newsworthy, there seems to be one in most threads about famous/celebrity deaths.

4. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

* disclaimer: This is my opinion

I have a son who has Congenital nephrotic syndrome http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congenital_nephrotic_syndrome & he has lost two younger sisters to the same (still born), & a sister who is happy and healthy. I have spent years in hospitals watching some children get better, and some some die, not just my own. (So please don't tell me I don't understand).

Any loss of life is painfull (premature, for any reason doubley so). Think of those who are left behind.

If you & your parents where famous and you died prematurely for whatever reason, would you want your parents to hear what has been said here? .......really?

Have some respect for life, and the living.

Is it more important than any other death no, but is it any less?

Public figures live and die under the public eye, and so it will be talked about. Does it lessen other deaths no, does it allow people to talk about death yes. (and it comes to us all (some too soon)).

Peaches Geldof is dead! (not alive doing something silly or saying something you may, or may not agree with), and for that I feel for her family & friends. I hope they remember her fondly, & not some of the comments I have seen.

I hope her family can find some kind of peace (as I wish anyone who has lost someone).

Grow up, pay your respects, or leave QUIETLY*

Sorry if that sounded a "bit" rantly but sometimes it does need to be said.

5. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Very well put Nexxo. It's posts like this which make me glad you stuck around.

Will I shed a tear for Peaches? No, of course not. I didn't know her. That doesn't mean I'm not saddened and shocked by the death of a 25 year old Mother and wife though. I can, however, guarantee that if it had been one of my twenty something year old friends, some of whom are also wives and Mums that I'd be in floods of tears. Some of them are younger than Peaches, some are not much older. As Nexxo said, it's the reminder that young people die which makes this both sad and significant.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2014
  6. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Link? All I can find is a story where 3 women were attacked with a hammer, none of them have died. Not yet, at least.

Peaches was a celebrity child of a celebrity couple. There aren't that many examples of people who are bona fide celebs in their own right and also the child of a celeb mother and celeb father.

Add to that the family history, particularly Paula Yates' pretty high profile death in 2000.

So when the young celeb, with celeb parents, mother-of-two, still mourning the death of her celeb mother publishes a sweet and poignant picture of her and her celeb mother just a few hours before she then dies herself, guess what? There's a story with some public interest, more public interest than 3 people we've never heard of getting hit with a hammer.

The media works on selling stories and media personalities will generate more interest than Joe Nobody. One has to be pretty naive to think that one life is more important just because it is in the news.

7. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

I think it's interesting to contrast the tone of this thread with this one.

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

9. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Not surprised as she was surrounded by it her while life. Feel sorry for the family but not for the weak minded folks who take it.

10. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Drug addiction is far more complex than being weak minded.

I'll feel sorry for any drug abuser for as long as this country (both governmentally and socially) looks at them as a criminal rather than someone that needs professional help.

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Celebrity drug abuse is different insofar as the abuser is usually able to fund their addiction which, it would appear, is recreational (at least to begin with). This is where my compassion for the addict ends, and where I agree with Mark's "weak minded" comment.

I know, from bitter experience, just how damaging to non-abusers the addiction can be when the abuser cannot fund their own habit. I completely accept the nature and severity of the addiction, but sympathy for that individual tends to be reduced in the light of the toll their habit has had on their loved ones.

Frankly, I'm astonished my mother is still alive, given the hell my brother has put her through. I've actually caught myself wishing a fatal overdose on him, rather than see my mother brought to her knees in despair yet again; not to mention very real threats against them from pikey dealers, to "focus" my brother's attention.

12. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

The amount of shop lifters I have to deal with almost on a daily basis so they can feed there habit drives mr insane. Yes there is a lot of different kind of habits but we are taking about hardline drugs here, where it cannot be good for anyone.

13. julianmartin

Theft is theft and crime is crime, I don't disagree with that.

My point is that the crime probably wouldn't happen to start with if the drug abuse doesn't occur to start with, or is prevented before it bankrupts the person in question.

14. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

BBC News are reporting that heroin is likely to have played a part in her death...

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

she was a smacktard - SHE made the CHOICE to take the drugs , therefore SHE made the CHOICE to ruin her childrens lives.

nothing short of emotional child abuse - should be in the same ballpark as jimmy Saville.

16. julianmartin

Well then it comes to responsibility doesn't it - where does it start? With her mother? With the first person to jack up her mother?

Come on - yes I see where you are coming from, but you're deluded to think it's that straightforward.

17. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

So sad to hear this news today. It just adds insult to injury knowing that she died from an overdose. I was really hoping it would turn out to be natural causes - I sincerely hope her death has a big enough impact to bring drug use in their family and many others to an end.

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

19. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Why why these weak minded fools partake in it I do not know. Surely any idiot realizes it isn't any good for you.
    I have zero tolerance on drug taking. Yes we all have some form of habit but only idiot would partake in one that ruins their lives as well as everyone involved.

20. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

you don't say

you should go tell the smokers that cigarettes can cause lung cancer!!