1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Personal Dropbox

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bagman, 25 Sep 2012.

1. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Sorry this may sound naft but your taking a laptop to UNI if the hard drive isnt big enough you can get a bigger one. I use Google cloud to backup very important docs. Other then that just snc up when home.

2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Remember to change the port in the FTP server so that you won't get hammered by brute force password crackers or such. And it goes without saying that you should set up a password protected FTP account. Maybe even worth enabling SFTP. All the options should be easily accessible in the server software's settings.

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

For my uni work it all goes on Dropbox. Even if you do setup a FTP or NAS, I'd setup Dropbox on there just for your Uni work as it allows version control and sharing docs, amazing when working as a group!!!

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Good idea, but I'd say there aren't many courses where you wouldn't have to explain source control until you're blue in the face!

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Seriously 1tb is overkill for document storage for the average uni student, plus the headache of connection bandwidth makes it impractical.

I use Ubuntu One (5Gb free) for my freelance buisness, keeping active clients within the folder and then backup and clear the cloud of old data.

If your scared of stuff getting nicked then simply do a daily backup at around 5/6pm to an external HDD, stuff the HDD somewhere out of sight (really think out the box) and then go out and enjoy your evening.

Worked for me whilst at uni, even after our flat got broken into (I was lucky my room wasn't touched as I had locked my door)

Take your desktop to uni, its far better!

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Most university don't like FTPs so that option is out.

I would use dropbox or just get a flash drive

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

This.

Does anyone know someone who had a desktop pinched at uni in something other than a complete house-clearance, van-equipped robbery?

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Mines in an Elysium and fully watercooled, so good luck to them if they try... :p

9. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

"Smash the windows and bring in the crane."

10. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Google Docs is even better for collaboration, plus, you'll be able to get your documents from practically anything with an internet connection, no worries about setting up an FTP client. Plus you can now upload arbitrary files into a google drive account.

11. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Personally I've only ever had problems with Google Docs...

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

This is what I use, only it's a single drive NAS rather than a USB router. The router takes care of the FTP server part.

[edit]

I didn't use this setup when I was at uni and it wouldn't have worked on campus because of the VPN, but I could have used it from my uni flat or house. I didn't though, I just brought my desktop. It was only in moderate danger of being stolen for the one year I lived in a flat, after that I was in private houses in quiet, non-student neighbourhoods and living with close friends, so it was pretty much totally safe and secure.

I use the FTP server-NAS setup to access larger files when I'm away from home, as well as using Dropbox for sharing documents on the go between my iPhone, PC and file server... It makes accessing documents that I use almost every day so handy - things like invoices, price lists and even technical documents like service manuals etc are at my fingertips all the time because they're in my Dropbox.

Last edited: 27 Sep 2012
  14. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Why not do an SSH Tunnel back home and just map the drive that way?

That way you've also got a secure endpoint if you're using you laptop on campus wifi/coffee shops etc..

15. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Just use Google docs, for the price you pay for an external drive you can get a 200gb IL3 secure cloud storage for a year, compatible with any computer or mobile phone.

It will be more than enough for uni work.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

16. evti

evti What's a Dremel?

Yes, I would do this if it's just for uni work. If you're going to spend the money on a drive anyway, why not just use it on something that you can have more convenience with.