1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Please tell me this might be something other than my CPU....

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by cyberspice, 30 Jun 2011.

1. cyberspice

cyberspice Angel on a bad trip

Ok, so the other day, my PC just switched itself off. I was unzipping a heavily compressed .7z file at the time. Now it won't switch back on again. Here's what I've done..

- tried the power supply in another computer, works fine
    - Tried another working power supply in my PC, dosn't work.
    - tried connecting various bits of my computer separately to the power supply to isolate the problem and....

it works with various bits plugged in, but won't turn on only if the 8-pin connector on the motherboard is plugged in....

to me, that says problem with the CPU, before I go yanking the thing out and sending it back, does anyone have any other bright ideas?

Much appreciated :)

Specs are ASUS p67 motherboard
    Intel 2500k processor (o/c at 4.5 GHz... probably worth pointing out that I've stress tested the overclock with prime95 and all seemed fine with temps hitting about 55 degrees in total)
    4gb corsair ram
    MSI 560ti Twin Frozr
    Crucial RealSSD 64GB
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 1.5 tb HD
    Samsung Spinpoint F1 1 TB HD

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

make sure you reset the cmos and see if you can get into the bios.. try one stick of ram at a time, hopefully it'll be one of those 2.. if it's electromigration that fried the cpu, that would suck.. it's rare but it can happen

would point to a bad tim job.. could be the mb failed also if it's not ram related (more than likely)

they make things so easy to oc anymore.. new guys run auto voltages and thinks that's overclocking or even worse use windows software.. you have no idea if the voltages change boot to boot though =]

you should set them all static using the bios to be safe next time.. you can get away with a lot lower voltages than would be set auto and your oc should last.. just a tip.. I been running a g6950 at 4.2 coming up on a year now.. have a e6600 running over 3 years at 3.3

just good cooling, lapping, retim everything, add sinks were needed.. all voltages manually set

hope it helps