1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Polishing Anti-Glare coating?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rofl_Waffle, 27 Feb 2014.

1. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

Well I have an U2711 and it has the notoriously bad anti-glare coating. Removing seems really hard and poses high risk of damage.

How about polishing it to a mirror finish?
    Anyone tried?
    What compounds and method did you use?

I polish my car and my knives all the time. Look great. Im pretty sure it could work but probably should ask before sticking a Dremel against my monitor. Maybe hand polish would be better.

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It's surprising how fast my eyes adapted to the U2711 coating. It was certainly a shock at first but now it doesn't interfere with the image quality one bit. If you only just bought it I'd recommend sitting it out for the time being!

3. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

give it 2 weeks and sit further from the screen, Thats what worked best for me, especially if you are coming from a laptop/high gloss background.

4. Rofl_Waffle

No i bought the U2711 on release back in winter 2010. So it about time I break it, get sad, then go out and buy a 4k screen :D

I think I will try though. Seems like a good idea, what can possibly go wrong? Probably everything but its not a crazy idea except I can't seem to google anyone who has done it so maybe it is crazy. Still people polish scratches off their monitors all the time so maybe I should take it to the next level.

Im going to try some Plastic/Acrylic polishing compound for auto headlamps. Seems close enough. Even if I don't get a super super mirror finish, it would definitely be better than this.

Power tools is probably too dangerous so I will try hand polishing. You can smooth out anything if you rub against it long enough. My last keyboard has a mirror coating on the wsad keys :D

I will post back with before and after photos.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2014
  5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Polishing it would make a hell of a mess as the AG coating is a plastic film. It can be removed but you would probably want to replace it with something else like a sheet of glass, to protect the screen.

EDIT: Some more details i turned up.

And some info on why it's a good idea to protect the screen afterwards.
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1230911/removing-the-anti-glare-coating-on-u2711
    Another guy who performed a similar thing to the YouTube guy.
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1564504

6. Rofl_Waffle

Make a mess of it how?

Ok i will try on an old screen first.

I don't want to remove the film because many people messed up their polarizer or cracked their screens that way.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You are probably too close to the screen, or the brightness too high.
    Adjust those. You should be able to stretch your arm fully from where you sit and not touch the monitor.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Wouldn't polishing a plastic film glued onto the screen cause clumps or beads of plastic, can you even polish plastic to a high gloss finish ?

9. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I don't know about monitor films, but you certainly can polish plastic to a high gloss finish. My acrylic aquarium started life from a mould and was polished to a glass finish - as they have to be.

10. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

This sounds like a really bad idea.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

@Sentinel-R1, Yea i forgot you can polish acrylic or other hard plastics :duh:, although looking at pictures the AG film they stick to LCD's looks to be soft, as it can be peeled off.

12. Rofl_Waffle

They peel it off by soaking it in a solvent for hours.

I think it will be fine, i am just hand polishing it.

Update: Instead of trying it on a spare screen, I just went at it because I don't have much polish and sand paper left. I quickly ran into two problems.

Problem 1: my camera sucks and can't take photos of a monitor because all I have is a cellphone camera and those work by combining multiple photos to fake high resolution. Maybe I can download an app but im too lazy right now.

Problem 2: I started with the rubbing compound to see what it does. It is apparently too weak and doesn't really do anything. I quickly ramped it up to 5000 grit sand paper to 3000 to 2000 grit, but all of these seem to be removing material way too slow. The sandpaper I am using turns out to be smoother than the AG coating itself. So it was polishing it at the pace of a snail. I think I am going to give up and try again with 1000 grit sand paper tomorrow and see what happens.

Preliminary results show that my text is much sharper than before. The screen is also super smooth to the touch but not smooth as my cellphone.... yet.

My sand paper has a tiny bit of white powder on it, which is basically all the material I am taking off the surface. It seems pretty safe.

I think this is safe enough for anyone to do. Even people with no previous experience. Bottom line, if you use smooth sandpaper, you can't possibly make it worse.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2014