1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powerbook disassembly

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 21 Oct 2005.

1. Silence

Silence What's a Dremel?

Nice write-up :) I've taken apart many mac laptops, and they can be complete swines at times. The earlier model ibooks in particular :(

2. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

Even my Dell laptop which is designed to be far easier to dissasemble is a pain in the ass when it comes to getting at the main system, something like 20 screws to get inside. That said its 2 screws to remove the hard drive tray, same for RAM and mini-pci and only one for the DVD writer - thats the sort of flexibility I like :D

3. K

K 528491

Fantastic link. What a God-send. I've been considering upgrading my ageing hard drive.

4. radek

radek What's a Dremel?

You think that was a challenge?!

Wil, you should see this:

http://www.macmod.com/
    Follow the translation link...

Some kid just overclocked his PB to 1.83! I have seen work done on minis, I have one on my own and I would never approach this thing with a soldering iron. But Power Book, which is "only" 3 or 4 times as expensive?
    Now, that is some modding!

5. dw_drummeruk

dw_drummeruk What's a Dremel?

6. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

dude! hire someone to carry around that lappy! bulging dvi ports, 'bent' optical drive slots (i really cant beleive you actually bent your optical drive port, you have a smiley-mac now), all those scratches and dents......

i'll volunteer to be your official lappy-carrier, i'll even put up with the inevitable lap-dog jokes. of course, you'll be needing that laptop when e3 comes around, so dont forget to get an extra ticket for me...... *snickers*

7. korhojoa

korhojoa durr

8. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

My friend has one of Apple's Power Book Pro's and he replaced the hard drive, he said it was a nightmare to do :hehe:

9. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Not really, I can do it in a few minutes. iBooks, now there's something that takes years.

Tags: Add Tags