1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project $0 scratch build *Finished!*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by -equilerex-, 6 Nov 2006.

1. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

looks great! Good job there! ... with the red backlighting it reminds me of a Cylon from Battlestar Galactica :D :)

edit: wow..that's damn odd.. my count is 1 ... i was sure i'd posted before now :eyebrow:

Last edited: 7 Nov 2006
  2. Baron

Baron What's a Dremel?

WOW! This must be the best mod idea ive come accross in a loooooong time! i had an idea simmilar to this, also with a rough, industrial stainless steel and aluminium look! Beautifull! :dremel:

3. -equilerex-

-equilerex- What's a Dremel?

lol, would of never thought it like that but it does look like a cylon raider or something :worried: :D
    coming to think of it, a battlestar galactica themed mod would be awesome :naughty:

and thanks for the feedback everyone! :)

4. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Major points for being more creative than most modders are while totally scronging the parts doing it.

I think it looks great. The trick now is to know when to stop :D

5. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

impressive job, good idea. I like it :thumb:

6. Ener

Ener What's a Dremel?

i really like it, those red lights are cool, a really nice glow

*haha at first it reminded me on Ned Kelly's helmet :thumb: *

7. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

That's what I was thinking as well, lol. :D

8. Evil-Inc-UK

Evil-Inc-UK What's a Dremel?

Very interesting will be keeping an eye on this one to see how it turns out.

Well done with the 0 spending policy also nice to see people still have creativity of that level to make anything out of stuff just lying around.

9. -equilerex-

hehe, lucky that i have some stuff lying around :D
    might try to get some high quality pictures when my syster comes over with a real camera.
    also decided that the next thing is to clean up the wire mess... some sleeving, arranging and riveting, il try to get it done as soon as possible

10. Sphering

Sphering What's a Dremel?

Lol. Look like you have plenty, and also the skills to use it in a very creative way.

11. jakeiswicked

jakeiswicked What's a Dremel?

Very good :D I love this kind of modding without having to spend insane amounts of money for it to look good, inspires people like me, with hardily any money to spend on modding, to have a go anyway. Will keep looking at this mod, i love totally custom-made cases as well :jawdrop:

12. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

AWESOME! this man is brining back the essence of modding, 0$ ***

13. -equilerex-

So, got in hold of some new toys:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

its a mess there... started with the wire sleeving
    [​IMG]

first attached the wire junction to the case using a screw
    [​IMG]

because the main plug is really hard to pull out, i will put it behind a "hook" rather then riveting it firmly in place
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sleeved the switch wiring with some tube i got from a electrycal system stripped from some car..
    [​IMG]

as some might remember, i lost the female molex some time ago, i almost gave up and was about solder it to the plug system but then i remembered... i had a 100mb hdd i had used for a hdd window mod
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    problem solved! :D

So, for the light wires, i used tape to keep them tight and added some super fix... should be hard as a rock tomorrow. didnt sleeve it as i didnt have much appropriate sleeving material and it would of been quite complicate + they wont be seen anyway
    [​IMG]

sleeved the pwr sw/led, hdd led and a few more wires, The final result was really good... lots of room, the wires took up really little space and the rubber hoses and other tubing gave a nice style- it all came together realyl nice, unfortunately you cant really see it on this picture, il try to get some shots with a better camera some time.
    [​IMG]
    the hdd is hidden behind the mobo, you ask wheres the cd drive? well, unfortunately that wasnt in the list of stuff lying around :sigh:
    at least it really reduces the amount of wires dangling everywhere

Now, I NEED YOUR HELP!
    i really want to add some analogue gauges, i once tried to find some info how to hook them up for a uv meter but no use.
    i would be happy with any use for them, well, exept just hooking them to molex to show the voltage... kind of pointless. i was thinking that if i cant find any better use, i could use them for fans (also have to add potentiometer then)

So if anyone knows how to hook up analogue voltmeters/ampermeters to pc be used as some measurement device, please share your knowledge :worried:

atm i have these lying in the garage, but if needed, i guess i could find something more appropriate
    [​IMG]

14. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Hooking up an amp meter to check power draw (idle / load) would be :thumb: - I'm sure a little net search should get you some info.

15. -equilerex-

meh, didnt find much and going through large pages of scientific style text is kind of exhausting for non english ppl like me. but starting to think about it, when i but a amp meter in the hdd led circuit, it should show the hdd activity, i think il try it tomorrow :worried:

16. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

The HDD LED motherboard header only outputs 2 volts.

17. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Hook the volt meter onto any molex I would use 12 volt. But nexxo or cpemma could help you design a circuit that would varry the voltage to be able to make it jitter around. As for the ammeter try splicing it into the 120 volt supply line.

18. -equilerex-

well, tried adding amp meter to hdd led, worked out really nice.. except it usually jumped around 1-2 and in sudden big activity, it went off scale (the gauge should be 1-3A but im not so sure, all it has is % and lots of russian text) the other one is 10-30A... thats too big. so i guess, if i could find a 1-10A amp meter, i should work ok.

Any idea how much ampers or what ever the english term is, flows through the hdd led. also, does it matter what led i use?
    --------
    about volt meter in 12 volt line, without extra circuit, it just stands in one place, for circuits i would probably need some special chip, but those cost a lot, i can find all kinds of electronic parts at home... from resistors to diodes, transistors and other stuff, but chips are really specific and only way to get the right on is from a store, so thats not an option thanks to $0 policy :worried:

Last edited: 21 Nov 2006
  19. sicone

sicone What's a Dremel?

I had a VU meter hooked up to my hard drive in my project (there was a link to the schematics in my log but it seems the site is dead :( ). Doing a defrag makes the needle go crazy :)

20. -equilerex-

amp meter works without any schematics atm, apparently those gauges measured milliampers or something(not sure about the english term), i will try using a resistor, if it doesnt help, il try to find something that limits the maximum amount of ampers flowing through the gauge, if i dont find anything, il try to come up with plan c :D