1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

project: AlumaxX (Dutch champion casemodding 2006! )

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Franklin, 28 Dec 2004.

1. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Can't wait to see what you have lined up with all that watercooling gear :eek:

Good luck

2. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hmm...thanx for the feedback. Can you explain a little more about this little mod? Did you use the std type PTFE thread-sealing tape, and wound it around the shaft immediately below the impeller of the pump?

Sorry for going slightly off-topic, but this can help some fellow modders out there :)

Thanx Franklin.

3. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Yes that's the tape you will need. I have a link where you can see some pictures of the mod. It is in German but you don't need the text anyway. The only thing you will have to know is that you have turn the tape about three times around the ax.

http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/~angho/computer/pc_wak_eheim.htm

You shouldn't have any problems taking the pump apart and put it together again, it's quite simple.

4. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Thanx for the info, that was what I thought you did ;)

I have some PTFE tape, I will do my spare pump tonight /tomorrow, and give some feedback.

Good luck with your project, I will keep subscribed and track your progress.

Br,
    MrBean.

5. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Today I will begin with the acryl glas. The white paper shapes are the pieces I need to cut in the uv acryl. These pieces will be placed over the holes in the aluminium harddisk rack.

[​IMG]

and MrBean graag gedaan

you're welcome

Last edited: 3 Sep 2005
  6. alter_ego

alter_ego What's a Dremel?

great project, especially the cuts. i particularly like ure cutout for the radiator uderneath the pci slots. once again nice project.

7. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Yes, you´re mistaken... hehehe :)

http://www.aquacomputer.de/

Nice waterccoling job... What a lot of money in cooling parts.

8. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

The uv acryl glas has the right size now, only the corners have to be rounded and then they can be mounted to the harddisk rack.

[​IMG]

Rounding the edges.

[​IMG]

I've got some sanding paper with grid 400 up to 1200 to sand the edges.

After sanding the acryl glas parts are ready to be mounted.

[​IMG]

9. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Yip, I understood the Dutch part quite well.....not very different from my native Afrikaans :)

Back on topic - I did the pump mod with ptfe tape, works like a dream - thanx a lot :)

Question: Are the 3 acrylic windows going to sit on the outside of the drive-cage, like in your previous pic, or will they be inside the cage...if you know what I mean? Have you considered making one large plexi to fit the cage exactly...it will simplify the process, but more important, gives some continiuty to the drive cage if mounted on the outside.....at least to my eye :)

But, good going, keep it up!

10. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

The plexiglas will be on the outside of the rack and I can't show it yet, but it will be mounted not directly on the aluminium, there will be a small distance between the plexi and the aluminium tray. I don't have the bolts and will have to wait untill next weekend to buy them.
    To give you a bit of an idea what it will look like this picture.

[​IMG]

Next week my watercooled PSU, PAPST 120 mm. fans and some little stuf will arrive. I will start with bending the aluminium strips, these will cover the sides of the fans so only aluminium will be visible. The PSU is doesn't need fans but it will have to modded to fit in the total theme, so I will need to dremel it and I will have to make a plexie part for it. It will perfectly match with my harddisk rack. Maybe it will also be chromed, I don't know that yet. At the moment the metal covers for the Eheim pumps are of to be chromed and I want to see how they came out before I deside to have other parts chromed. That's it for this week.

11. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Okie dokie, I get it :) I have an idea what you are planning with the screws.....if you have enough plexi, try using a solid 1 piece sheet as well, to see if the effect is better or worse...but, whichever way, it would look good....

Br,
    MrBean.

12. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

13. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Yeah! :) The wors its that the english version of the web isn`t complete at all and my german is so poor (3 or 4 words hehe).

14. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

The aluminium strips are ready to be polished and bend around the fans.

[​IMG]

Because I'm waiting for some parts to arrive the only thing I can do at the moment is sanding and polishing the selfmade aluminium parts. The problem with that is my arm is starting to hurt after an hour of sanding and polishing, I don't have an electric machine to do it. That why I started designing a nice "logo". The idea is to design something I can make from the acryl glas in combination with som aluminium. I have to stick to the total theme of course. The word AlumaxX has to be in it and maybe I wil use my own logo too. I have this logo that I use to sign my drawings. Yes that's another hobby. In this drawing you can see my logo ( F.J.W.)

[​IMG]

15. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

The logo design is ready. I have drawn the logo on the uv acryl and will cut it as soon as I've got some time next week.

[​IMG]

16. phoeneous

phoeneous What's a Dremel?

Where did you get that green uv plexi? Nice rose, you have some talent there.

17. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

I bought it in a Dutch internetshop called coolcase

the url is www.coolcase.nl

but I see you live in America so I don't think this is useful information for you.

18. alter_ego

alter_ego What's a Dremel?

sweet drawing. this project is really looking nice. just the sought i like, not to cluttered and everyting which is done is done to perfection.

19. [Tom]

[Tom] Minimodder

Crikey, not only a talented modder but a talented artist!

20. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

The logo is almost done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took a photograph with the logo om my carpet, because it is difficult to get a clear picture of the acryl glas. It is not lying completely flat because of the carpet.