1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: ATCS 840

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by coolmiester, 21 Nov 2008.

?

What Colour To Paint Case???

1. Gloss Black

55.1%
  2. Candy Red

44.9%
  1. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Hey, cheers for the feedback already, you guys rock :rock:

Still not sure what hardware is going into this and initially i had wanted to go i7 but i've still got a spare Skulltrail board though no CPU's or RAM but i do know it will be dual loop whatever hardware i end up going with.

So i thought i'd give something a little different a go which should end up keeping things nice and tidy and keep hose routing to a minimal.

The plan is to attach an Alphacool DDC top to the back end of a Dual Res.

I'll see how it actually performs first and i might end up making the two dual Reservoirs from scratch but i'm pretty happy with the outcome using the DD ones tbh.

Was a simple case of tapping 4x 6/32 holes into the backside of the res followed by a 12mm hole in the centre so the liquid can flow directly to the pump.

I'll also be tapping a G1/4 hole into the front of the res for easy filling.

Once i decide whether to use the DD Res or make my own i'll use clear silicon gasket seal before screwing the Alphacool top to the Res which should hopefully make it completely leak proof...............well that's plan A anyway :naughty:

The result is a nice compact res/pump combo which i duplicate for dual loop.

As always, on with some pictures ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Trip.X

Trip.X What's a Dremel?

Nice mod on the res/pump.
    Its clean and very easy in use

3. Coldon

Coldon What's a Dremel?

i'm not sure why everyone is so adamant on using resevoirs? all my loops have had t-lines and i've had no issues? any benefits to a res i dont know about?

4. Trip.X

Trip.X What's a Dremel?

its easier to refill it, to let the air out the loop, enz..

5. coolmiester

WOW it works :cooldude:

Actually, i never doubted it wouldn't tbh but i was quite surprised it didn't leak even without any gasket seal but i guess its because the two contact surfaces are so flat there's no space for leakage.

Anyway, i'm a happy with the outcome and i can get back to me holidays tomorrow knowing i did good :worried:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Paul, you really should look into getting reservoirs produced with DDC mounts inbuilt. It'd be a huge draw for UK watercoolers to go to Coolercases :)

7. minilogoman

minilogoman Wannabe Modder

reservoir looks really good, very nice craftsmanship.
    cheers

8. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Looks very nice, as always. Are you going to leave it like that or consider putting a gasket in there to ensure it stays leak free?

9. 985323

985323 I am Jack's smirking revenge

Subbed from the moment i saw that res/pump, Awsome job on that. so happy i actually get to see one of your mods from the start

10. coolmiester

Just before i started chopping this ATCS 840 chassis up i thought i'd give this top 360 radiator mounting a go using the included brackets.

I set it up using the two stock 230mm fans pulling through the radiator but it could also be mounted using any three 120mm fans which no doubt a lot of folk will do (not sure which option i'll go for just yet)

I got to say it all works really well though one thing i would add is a small blank plate or tape up the side gap of the 230mm fans so all air is directed through the radiator.

Just got to work out what to do with the grill now??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Nice idea with the res. Looking forward to the result already, ought to end up nicely :)

12. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

Suuuuub'd
    This is gonna be mint, can't wait

13. coolmiester

Cheers all, thanks for the kind comments :clap:

Anyway, managed to sneak a bit of time this afternoon to de-rivet the entire chassis to make it easier for working on and anodising or powder coating......still haven't made my mind up on which to go for yet.

Chopped out a bit of the hard drive cage to allow for the GTX240 rad to be mounted to the base then used one of our silver honeycomb grills for a template to mark out what needs removing from the base section.

I'll have to make a decision on colour and by what method pretty soon but a quick mock up shows how it will look.

I'm happy with that!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Coldon

Coldon What's a Dremel?

nicely done, pity about losing the drive bays. Are you planning on putting a window into the case? i'm really curious to see how that turns out...

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Nice. That's what I was thinking with a dual rad up front. Personally, I only tend to install 1 or 2 HDDs anyways so there's plenty of room. This should be fun!

16. dtham

dtham What's a Dremel?

I've been eyeing the ATCS 840 since the review on BT so I've been watching this thread closely.

I was wondering how you were going to get a GTX240 in there. Now I'm just wondering, is the heat from the rad going to get sucked in to the PSU?

17. bentleya

bentleya Lian Li Snail :)

Grabs Popcorn [​IMG]

And sits back and enjoys with every one else.

More popcorn, anyone? :thumb:

18. Omen

Omen What's a Dremel?

This will be interesting :)

Subscribed*

19. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I was actually looking at getting one of these cases for myself. Looks pretty damn good to me. I love your pump/res combo.

*Sits and waits intently for next update ;)*

20. Degenerate83

Degenerate83 What's a Dremel?

i so want 2 of your res/pump combos how much you want for them lol!! loving the work as per usual.......