1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Black and White - 05.12.2012 Finished

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Dk_vr, 18 Apr 2012.

1. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the good words.

In my project I had to use 5mm acrylic and if I had to use 2 x 5mm black acrylics it was going to be really big and that's not the idea. For that reason I went for 1mm aluminium plates, and since the leds strip is 8mm wide and the panels are just 7mm I had to integrate the lights inside.

2. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

This weekend I had a free day and the chance to go back to my hometown and use the workshop and I’ve decided to work on finishing the last part of the mod and install the motherboard and the cooling fan.

[​IMG]

The workday started with disassembling the last part and install the 6 leds strip inside the acrylic. This time I had a machine to do the channel for the leds strip, the cable and the connector.

[​IMG]

After 5 mins of cutting the part was ready and I started to do some measuring to install the fan. After more than hour and a half I had all holes drilled on both of the aluminium plates and later on the plexi part. First the holes were smaller but later I’ve decide to make them bigger so there are no bad noises.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the moment when I found that the motherboard that Elitegroup sent me(made a mistake and sent me ECS CDC-I instead of CDC-TI) will give me some troubles. And unfortunately they popped up. After I installed the motherboard on the standoffs I saw that the pico PSU will stand just in front of the case. Except that there was no space to install the Cooler Master Excalibur fan which was sponsored by Cooler Master. For that reason I had to rebuild the mod and find a suitable position for the motherboard and for the fan. That took me some hours but I was able to see the result after I got back at home and the result was:

[​IMG]

And all parts assembled:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After all was assembled I was so eager to find out how the lights will work:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After all parts were together I realised I have a working machine, yes still no hard drive but I could see it working. And this is the first movie of Project Black and White working

P.s. I am sorry but I don't know how to insert direct link to youtube video.

Last edited: 4 Jul 2012
    Waynio likes this.
  3. Fonne

Fonne What's a Dremel?

"Go Advanced" -> There you can see a Youtube buttom ...

Looks Great :thumb:

Edit: And nothing happens :-S

4. Mr3D

Mr3D What's a Dremel?

Great job man! I like how this is coming together. :thumb: Tho the holes for the fan aren't those a little small/too few? :confused:

5. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

All you need is the video ID (XV7SHel2k5g for this one) between the YouTube tags.

I really like this project, it is really coming along nicely :)

Last edited: 10 Jul 2012
  6. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

I had the same white screen too.

Thanks. Well the holes are just fine but I don't like how the circle of the holes on top fits, because it is ruinning the whole idea of the aggresive and with sharp edges looking project.
    So I will probably try to modify this.

What you think, should I leave it like this or try to modify it.

Thanks for the info how to add youtube videos. I will definitely use it in future and thanks for the good words. I am really happy that you enjoy it.

P.s. Should I edit my old post?

7. Mr3D

Mr3D What's a Dremel?

I like the holes. Tho if you don't like them, change it. I dunno how tho.

I have a hard time with the fan holes too for my project.

8. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Not a problem :) I see that you have yours working, so I removed mine.

Can't wait to see more progress.

9. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

I think you should keep it simple like everything else.
    There are too many holes for my taste and get all the attention!

I can't tell you what to do but a more "clean" approach?

Keep it up!

10. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

Yes I am thinking the same.
    With these holes on top they become main element and that is not supposed to be like that.

Anyway I will probably try to rebuild the 4th part a bit modified and with other shape.

Thanks for the advice.

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Subbed, voted, stars & rep :D

Nice looking project Dk_vr, light sandwich panels are awesome mate. :D:clap:

12. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

No idea what those are but thanks. Today I will probably release a major update.
    I didn't posted for a long time but I was on vacation last week and i am 99% done with the structure of the mod.

Stay tuned :)

13. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

Long time has passed since the last update but in this update I will show to all of you some major changes including the top level totally rebuild.

Last week I spent my summer vacation in my home town and a few days at the workshop. There I’ve decided to totally rebuild the top level and finish some more things that I’d planned to do before.

Because the building process is absolutely the same I will skip the details and I will show directly the re-manufactured top part.

[​IMG]

After I removed the old part and made this one I noticed that there is one spare hole on the third level and I’ve decided to make it bigger and install the Pico PSU connector for the power adapter.

[​IMG]

All of that was done just the first day of my vacation. The next days, things got even more interesting.

After all parts were finally together I had to install the hdd/ssd bracket, arrange the cables and make the holes for the fan cooling the motherboard.

So, let’s get started:

[​IMG]

First thing to do was to disassemble the whole build and install the hdd/ssd bracket.

Apart from that I still don’t have ssd and memory I got an ssd bracket used to attach a 2,5″ ssd to 3.5″ slot. To be able to attach it to the motherboard I had to drill some holes.

[​IMG]

Mounted

[​IMG]

Next thing to do was to install a 2,5″ HDD which I use just to make my plans and install the cables:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK, I went to work on the mod but I forgot to pick up some mainboard screws so I had to improvise . My bad!

The cables are installed on the first part and later I will have to sleeve them too. Now it’s time to make holes on the second plate and attach the cables to the motherboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the cables attached to the motherboard.

[​IMG]

After that I had to assemble all of the parts together and the build looked like that:

[​IMG]

This is for now, more updates on the way.

14. Mr3D

Mr3D What's a Dremel?

Looking great man! :thumb: Tho you really need to do something about the ugly yellow color of the 24-pin on the pico! :D

15. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

nah, when its installed with the lid on you cant even see it!

loving the build btw

16. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

I will think about this but later.

Thanks for the good words. I am happy that you enjoy it.

Anyway:

It’s about time to post new pictures as I promised 3 days ago.

Next stage of the worklog is to make channels inside the plexi and on the aluminium plates so the fan can “breathe”.

[​IMG]

If you look closely you will notice that the channels on the top and the bottom aluminium plates are with different size. That’s made on purpose.

[​IMG]

So, after all the details were finished it was time to check how all things looks together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The thing I saw made me think that I will have to upgrade the lights because all those holes make the light unstable.

This is for now, more updates on the way.

17. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

After the last update I've decided to upgrade the lights to all of the levels and the result is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Looking great :thumb:.

19. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

Thanks mate :) I am happy that you enjoy it.

Anyway I've reached a point where I need help from you guys.
    I wonder where to place a small text that will be cut on the aluminium plate with laser and will be glowing.

I've got a small sticker that I used to point where this text will be cut in the aluminium.
    Please vote where you like it the most because I cannot decide by myself.

Option 1:
    [​IMG]
    Option 2:
    [​IMG]
    Option 3:
    [​IMG]
    Option 4:
    [​IMG]

P.s. I am sorry but I have no idea how to create a real poll so I made it like this :)

Last edited: 28 Aug 2012
  20. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Option 3. :)

Absolutely loving the way this is going! The layered shape of the case is fantastic! Keep up the brilliant work! :thumb: