1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project BMW Mpower Level 10 - update

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by rchiileea, 17 Oct 2010.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I also have those Bitfenix cables and I assure that you won't have any problem with the quality, I can't wait to see the rest of the car shell too!

2. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Car shell is doing well, On another note though lights still have not arrived from far east, if there not here tomorrow I will order some from the UK as I want to get this completed by next weekend at the latest.

3. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Spent ages waiting on lights and they finally turned up, but again another issue cropped up.

[​IMG]

One of the ring lights I plan to use for lighting the etch was cracked... still though my lack of posts waiting for the lighting to turn up made me eager to start laying out the lighting, I thought I would crack on and get the LED strips In and test fitting the ring light (despite the fact I will have to take it all back out to sleeve them..

[​IMG]

As you can see the ring light lights up the etching, In real vision it looks more like this..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Although the uv ring is less visible in real life, you can just about see it like in this picture.

[​IMG]

The best way to describe it would be the ring looks as dull as the picture above, and the etch looks as bright as the first few pictures. The reason I am using ring UV lights is I want to put them together to look like the round angel eyes found in the front headlights on a 3 series...

Anyway I will leave you some pictures as a teaser until I get finished, by next weekend, I had hoped it would be done this weekend, but I am now waiting on one ring light.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also added some under carriage lighting to the mobo section

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am hoping that the ring light turns up this week so I can actually get finished, I feel so let down and was actually looking forward to getting this finished this weekend, fingers crossed that next weekend it happens...

4. PAL

PAL What's a Dremel?

Amazing colour sheme i just love it they should have done a BMW edition!:clap::jawdrop:Your in the favorite:hip:

5. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Just hoping i can get the replacement ring light in before next weekend I want to get finished.

6. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Well a bit of a disaster really, the bloody replacement ring UV light turned up, braided the exact same way as one in the rig, treated it with respect like it was a little baby as they are fragile, but it just fell apart at the solder end of the light. (there is no real protection around the tube..

so as much as I would like to keep that plan, I am just going to switch to the back up tubes.

I am planning to do some finished pics today and will upload them tonight or tomorrow.

7. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Well as you know I had issues with the ring lights, determined to get this project complete I went ahead with backup plan of a small UV tube to make the etch pop, This build has been trying and annoying (especially with the ring lights), I have no doubt that I will probably tweak some things at a later date. Anyway here are the pictures of it built finally.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am really happy how this has ended up really and probably more happy that the ring lights didn’t work out as this finish is more cleaner, I honestly can say as well doing a car themed PC is defo something I will probably do again in the future.

Now to get on with this projects mini me car I suppose, but ill still follow this topic and reply to you guys.

8. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Well back again believe it or not, Why, well after this mod was completed I spotted some other parts that would suit this mod better, mainly it involved barbs and clamps and after a few mails I Finally got some extra parts in. You may be thinking well the rig looks sweet, but I am a sucker for details and I believe these enhance that a bit more.

First off a big kudos goes to

[​IMG]

And

[​IMG]

For supplying the parts used in this little update, the products our quality and you will see why, first of let us take a look at the Lamptron products.

[​IMG]

Ok that is some LED light strips and some brown paper bags :p

[​IMG]

The LED light strips that I got are much better put together than my home made jobbies that were currently in the PC, these are really flexible compared to the previous ones that I had to adapt and cut to fit as they did not bend so well. Next up is something else from Lamptron.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the Lamptron Elite Aluminum tubing clamps, and from first impressions they look great (damn bloody white cat gets his hair everywere, even in my photo) they come in a variety of colours and will certainly suit the mod. These clamps are pricey compared to your Avg ones, but if you want the look they are worth it.

Moving on, I selected a range of connectors from Bitspowers WC range.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When these arrived I was impressed as well, so much so, I will be contacting them on any future projects I do, great quality...

I suppose buy now you probably can picture the route I am going down, so I will leave you with these pictures to show what the effect has ended up like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Oh did I forget to mention, I also requested a couple of blue and silver ones to have a M power stripe effect on the two outer rad connections, more of a visual addon though as only one clamp is needed, but it defo ties in with the mod.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also replaced out the fans for some Bitfenix White 120,s as they look a lot better on the rads with the white of the case. Also got a new card, so I need to paint that one now, this is probably the last update, but no doubt you will see a post sooner or later with a mini me of this, that will be built into a 1/10 scale RC car shell and chassis to match the car in window etch.

9. oton

oton What's a Dremel?

Hi! Congrats for you mod. :)

I have a level 10 too and I'm trying to replace the HDD fans. I know that I have to remove the side panel bit it seems impossible!!

I followed this guide: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Faq.aspx?ID=1151

I removed the 16 screws from the side panel but the panel panel seems still screwed in the upper part somehow. I can't remove it.

Could you tell me how did you do it, please?

Thx!

10. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

First off sorry about the late reply i for some reason am not getting notifications, first off is your rig empty? if it is not, I would advise you to strip it out as i had to be quite rough to remove the parts and I would not do that with hardware in.

11. oton

oton What's a Dremel?

Hi!

No problem, thanks for answer. I could remove the panel. The panel is fixed with some strong double layer tape in the upper part. So strong that if you don't take care, you could damage the panel trying to remove it.