1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: C&C GDI War Factory (*New Video*)+ Ion Cannon (August MOTM)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by milotic858, 18 Jul 2008.

1. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Very nice mod!

2. milotic858

milotic858 What's a Dremel?

I am super excited to make this additional building. It is the GDI super weapon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is what I have done as of last night

Base of the Ion Cannon structure

[​IMG]

Cut (using a scroll saw) and bent (using heat gun) plexi that will act as the walls for my structure

[​IMG]

With all the walls in super glued into place with the film removed
    [​IMG]

I have a love hate relationship with superglue. Didn’t realize while I was holding one of the walls in place that my finger was also in the superglue…Ouch! I took some pics that I will post sometime later.

With the Power supply inside
    [​IMG]

Count down – 5 more Days

3. Darkstyle

Darkstyle What's a Dremel?

Lovely Build, Gz for you completion on the main building. Looking forward on what you are going to do with the Ion Cannon Control Center.

Btw, i've pressed the Building Qeue like several times.... When can i expect my Mobile Contruction Vehicle???

4. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

WOW, the War Factory looks amazing!!! 5 Days to get the ION Cannon done.. that is a crazy schedule. Best of luck!!

- Ton

5. ChrisK

ChrisK What's a Dremel?

Awesome work on the C&C GDI War Factory. I am amazed at your skills. Your next project looks even better!!!

6. milotic858

If only it were that easy…Right now I wish I could train several of me so that I can get this all done in time

Thanks… right now I need lots of luck, but I love the challenge to get it all done in time!:thumb:

7. milotic858

** need some help** see bottom for explanation --Thanks

Went to get some more paint stone for the base and the sidewalls and fossil for the top. Hope to get to that tomorrow.

Used the clamps to hold everything together. The bottom edges were sticking out. So, carefully super glued them in place.

[​IMG]

Got to use the hand dremel. :dremel: Smoothed down the edges so that it will have a nice clean look.

Before – the edge stuck out

[​IMG]

After – trimmed down
    The edge is still rough, so will be smoothing it out more before prime and painting.

[​IMG]

Next, I worked on making a template for the top

Using paper and a crayon, I traced the top.

[​IMG]

Added a ¼ border and then went around and evened out each of the sides to give it a uniform look.

[​IMG]

**--need opinions and help--**
    In the game, when the Ion Cannon is ready it rises up and waits for you to use it. Not sure how I am going to do this. Any ideas? Maybe I should just leave it in the down position? Thanks for any ideas and suggestions :D

Okay, that’s it for tonight.

Count down – 4 days

8. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Do you have a clip of the Ion Cannon rising or some screens perhaps?

nm.. found these two images of the Ion Cannon Control Center:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    so, does the tower rise straight up or does rotate on its way up as well?

I have a few ideas on how one could go about making this... hex-structure and center telescope pillar... lemme put together some simple illustrations... ^_^ BTW.. how big do you reckon you will make this structure, and how much space do you need inside it for computer hardware (if any)?

9. milotic858

Thank you so much for posting the pic of the Ion cannon. :clap::clap: I know I have it somewhere on my computer, but was too tired last night to find it.

In the game when the center goes up it does spiral up, but there is no way I can get that to happen in the time I have. I am only housing a power supply inside, so no additional hardware will be there. My goal is for it to be down, rest position, when the case if off. But up when the case is on, so that there will be enough airflow. Plus, I am not sure about the netting on the side. Might have to get something similar but not the same shape. The center does telescope up. Maybe some way to just hook it in order to make it stay up…

I will cut the top tonight to cover the base that is in the pictures. I have a template for the dodecagon that the top flaps sit on. I have the flap already cut out too. Just need a way to make it go up and down.

Oh.. the center is 7' x 7' give or take this doesn't include the four corners that stick out. I was thinking abut 12' tall.

10. Macros_the_Black

Np =)

Ok * [insert correct number here].
    I happen to have an online pic of a how some telescopic crane arms work.. here you go:
    [​IMG]
    The red cable/string loops around a drive wheel (outside the pic to the left, which could be connected to a motor) and then connects to the blue string. In your case you don't need the blue string, cause gravity will take care of the retraction. In this pic the strings run on the outside of the tubes, but it can be modified to house the strings on the inside as well.

I had some ideas on how you could make the 'hex mesh' but I realize that it will be a duplication/manufacturing marathon to rival even the work of TribalOverkill ;P ...so if you are pressed for time I'd skip that step... or just print the hex pattern on a transparent plastic "paper" or something =P. Anyway, since I did spend some time on making the illustrations I might as well show em to you. This image links to a small gallery:
    (Note! I only included the bottom hex piece to have something to connect the hex chain to, IRL you'd replace that with something else.)
    [​IMG]
    Notice in the "Hex_cylinder.png" pic in the gallery how far apart the hex pillars have to be from each other... otherwise they collide when folded (see "Hex_cylinder_folded.png"). =\
    The version of the hexagon pieces in the image above are the medium difficulty/labor intensive version. There's a "easy/quick" version in the gallery with fabric hinges. I didn't draw a "hard" version, but I would have exchanged the straw pieces for half round plastic bars, and then drilled the holes. More difficult to make (due to the drilling) but produces a more one-piece-look.

Heh.. all this didn't turn out to be much help after all... oh well.. it was fun never the less (I really like working on problems and drawing prototypes in 3D CAD). ^_^

11. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

Wow, so you're solving your PSU issue eh? Nice plan. Hope to see moar updates soon!

12. milotic858

Macros the Black, Thank you, thank you, thank you…you are amazing!!! :clap::clap::clap:I love each of your ideas. I went to work right away to see how I can make it all work. Your idea for the hexagon mesh is just what I was looking for. I couldn’t find plastic that I could color and cut easily, so I decided to go with foam. Went out to craft store and got some red foam that I will cut. Instead of straw, I have some small beads (kids won’t miss it) that fit a toothpick perfectly (couldn't find straws small enough). I have pictures that I will post tomorrow.

Thank you so much for all the work and time you put in to make each of the pictures. It made it very easy to understand. I couldn’t believe how much you did so fast. I appreciate your help!:thumb:

Today has been a long day and I won’t get any time to mod tonight. :wallbash:So, I am going to catch up on some much need rest.

Count down – 3 days

13. .Fatality.

.Fatality. What's a Dremel?

looks like kick ass mod!

14. Macros_the_Black

You are very much welcome, glad I could be of assistance! ^_^ I didn't really think that you would go ahead and use this idea because of your tight deadline... with 4 hex pieces per column it's going to be 48 pieces total... that's alot of cutting!! <=)

Best of luck! =)

[edit] I put some stuff about possible problems in a pm, check your box. [/edit]

Last edited: 21 Aug 2008
  15. AFX

AFX "Bling" Silver Mountain 2

OMG that case is sweet! can't wait for the Ion Cannon.

16. milotic858

Got to work on the scroll saw.

Template for the top of the base.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dodecagon ---it sits on top. There is a base, ring that would hold the hexagon netting, and a base for the center.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Base and top pieces primed and painted

[​IMG]

Worked on applying some details to the base and tried out some ideas for the hexagon netting, pictures still to come.

2 more days:eeek:

17. milotic858

In the game the Ion Cannon spends most of its time in the down position or rest position waiting for it to power up again so that you can use it (that is if your like me and like to use it right away!) Then it rises up when it is ready. A critical part of being in the raised position is the netting on the side. There are several ways I can do or fake the telescoped middle, but I have to have the netting in place. I have had a lot of great ideas given to me and I considered all of them. I tried this out for the hexagon netting, but with this time constraint... I am going to have to postpone this part till after the lan. This way I can conentrate on finishing the Ion Cannon in the down/rest position only.

I would like to thank everyone for their help in such a short turn around time. But, I would rather do it right then to rush to get it all done.

These where just my test ones...so I didn't worry if they weren't perfectly matched up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had a bucket of beads -thought about straw but it was just too big
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These fit perfectly, but where a bit too thick. Oh.. and they are a pain to glue to foam
    [​IMG]

18. milotic858

Worked on the exterior details of the Ion Cannon

When Bionicles attack. My son was having a bit of fun.

[​IMG]

w/o the bionicle
    [​IMG]

Center pieces
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

center with details added
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay going to split this post up into two parts. The next part will show is all together.

19. milotic858

Dry fit of the pieces together. FYI.. I don't have anything in place to hold the center pieces up. I just put a nail polish bottle there for now :p Any ideas on what to put there? :idea:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still need to work on the side part of the Ion Cannon. Have to do that today and then add details.:thumb:

Count down - 1 Day!!!

20. Macros_the_Black

yeah! cool! =)