1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project CheckMate by E.E.L. Ambiense - Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by E.E.L. Ambiense, 23 Apr 2009.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

2. haakon.t

haakon.t :)

I just love that case! Both cheap and Lian-Li at the same time!
    Well, I guess Lian-Li + E.E.L. just can't go wrong :)

3. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

:hehe:

Thanks!

Thanks! I'm commerically zoned, actually. It's potentially dangerous! As John said, plenty of ventilation from a non-sparking exhaust fan, etc. Kaboom! :hehe:

Thanks, man!

Thank you!

Man, it's weird....I dunno if it's just me, but ever since the forum changeover, I'm not getting post notifications except one every once in a while. It's no biggie, but I don't know that there are any posts until I log in and check my subscribed threads. Anyone else have that problem?

4. haakon.t

Yeah, same here :( I always think it's weird when there's no updates when I've been gone for a week, so I check my subscribed threads, and most of them are updated at least once while I've been somewhere else..

5. E.E.L. Ambiense

Huh. Weird.

The irony of it all is I received a reply email for this post. :D Oh well. Back to the log!

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I turned off email notification. Subscribed to 250+ threads... that could get nasty. :naughty:

7. haakon.t

I'd feel mighty popular having 100+ e-mails in my inbox every day! :D

8. E.E.L. Ambiense

April 26th Update!

Alright, the first update to the log. Let's get right to it!

I continued to strip down the case to the essentials to allow future sanding/coating. I drilled out the rivets holding the top panel on the case; two in the front and two in the back. 1/8" drillbit and go slow and easy; it'll take it out in no time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All done!

[​IMG]

As I was looking at the case during stripdown, I noticed the stock 'slots' for the rear mobo tray for access to the CPU's cooler mountpoints seemed kind of...off for some reason. So I decided I'd just cut out the whole area to make sure just in case I want to swap CPUs or blocks or whatever and not have to remove the whole bloody install to get at it.

[​IMG]

I'll get to that shortly, but not right now.

Here's a (growing) pile of stock crap removed so far.

[​IMG]

I got to thinking... I didn't like the idea of solid PCI slot covers, and didn't want to use the stock 'slotted' ones that now come with the latest version of the A05.

[​IMG]

I've decided, in order to keep in the theme of the white mesh, I'll use these instead for the PCI slot covers.

[​IMG]

Here's a test-install to see somewhat how they'll look. Nice, I think. They're very flimsy, obviously, but that's okay. It's not like it needs to stop a bullet. Right? :worried:

[​IMG]

With a quick little fill-in order placed with Performance-PCs, I obtained some fan mesh inserts.

[​IMG]

I also had one 8800 series single-slot PCI bracket left laying around from previous ventures into the modding realm that I never used. This will be used for the the GPU mounted in one slot instead of the annoying dual-slot stock brackets many of these cards come with. I have a mild pet-peeve about those things, lol.

Now to cut some mesh to go in the front panel. I measured it out quickly using a master template I created to size, and took it over to my scroll-saw. Personally, I don't like using a scroll-saw, but it's a necessary evil.

[​IMG]

A quick couple of passes, and I have my piece to size.

[​IMG]

A quick mark-out and drill-press love for the four holes for mounting behind the front panel.

[​IMG]

Here's everything all cut and ready to be coated. Of course, after a thorough bath of lacquer thinner and tack-cloth treatment.

[​IMG]

And all coated now.

[​IMG]

-------------
    Until the next update, I got nuthin'. :thumb:

jhanlon303 likes this.
  9. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

nice start,can't wait to see more.

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Dude, I love your drill press. Laser pointers make it much easier to line stuff up. I just got myself a Dremel workstation (drill press attachment for the Dremel) I may mod it to fit a lazer pointer.

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Whoa!

'nuff sed. :thumb:

12. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

Whoa! indeed

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks!

Hahaha! In all honesty, I kind of hate laser-pointers on a drill-press. I just turned it on for the cool pic. ;) I'll use it occasionally, but not all that often.

Thanks, guys!

14. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Love that :)

15. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

win, the white mesh idea is cool

16. jhanlon303

I like the clean look of the white a lot.

I watch.

john

17. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks, guys!

Should be a new update coming soon...

18. E.E.L. Ambiense

May 1st Update!

Update time! *Insert Sarcastic Comment Here*

Alright, right to it. Last we left off, I needed to cut out the backtray area behind the mobo to allow eventual easy access to the backplate for CPU removal and replacement...assuming I'll even need to. But that's beside the point. :)

[​IMG]

I'm marking the areas out that I'm going to remove, and where I'm going to make my cuts...

[​IMG]

If I were installing an AM2 setup, the backplate would clear it fine. But I'm not installing an AM2 setup, so I suppose that was pointless. :D

[​IMG]

Since I'm installing a 775 setup, it clears fine as well. So I suppose that does, in fact, make a little sense. :p

[​IMG]

And I begin cutting with my rotary tool. I'm a big fan of the Flex-Shaft for it, since I hate holding the bulky tool itself in my hand.... Alright, you sick gits just keep those foul thoughts to yourselves! I should know; I'm a kindred spirit! ;)

I also tend to use the reinforced cutoff discs, because my close friends will tell you I'm really hard on rotary tools!

[​IMG]

Slow and easy, not pressing hard...allowing the tool to do its job. It's always good to be gentle with them, because they can be your friend! :D

[​IMG]

And all done! A big metal M for "MOD"! :eyebrow: Yeah, that was stupid, sorry.

[​IMG]

And I begin to clean up the edges by filing with a flat-file carefully, followed by a pass with the sanding drum attachment for the rotary tool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And completed. I really didn't need to spend that much time and attention on that, because it's being hidden by the mobo, but it's merely for the sake of completion.

[​IMG]

Alright, moving on...

I laid out my custom template for all the cuts and holes, etc. going on the top of the chassis.

[​IMG]

And to make sure it's clearing all rivets, etc., I checked the frame as well. All good.

[​IMG]

The handles I chose are the typical hardware store fare. I've used these before on "Building Better Worlds", but I chose the longer units this time. I would've chosen the really long ones, but they wouldn't clear the rivets on the frame. Err on the side of caution, sometimes.

[​IMG]

And the top stencil adhered with double-sided tape to hold it in place as I mark the holes out. Handles to show where they're going.

[​IMG]

This is funny. I'm a freak about my measurements. I mean, insane. If they're even a little off, I go ape-[​IMG]. Looks like Lian Li made their machining cuts just a hair off here, lol. And yes, it's aligned on the opposite side though. It may be just this particular chassis. I just found that funny. It's such a small amount, that no one would notice it, short of fruitcakes like me.

[​IMG]

Alright, should get around to the cuts soon. I need to go home and unwind from the week!

-------------
    Until the next update, I got nuthin'. :thumb:

19. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Man that would be an awesome mod! Great job so far!

20. jhanlon303

Ah A fruitcake are you?

[​IMG]

Dumbest food in America. People pass them back and forth at Christmas for years!

Haven't had my supper yet.

Moving a long well on the mod. Really like the designer handles. They must have taken hours of work. [​IMG]

mod on - I watch