1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Fluttershy - Almost Finished!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by AK71, 10 Nov 2011.

1. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

More pink would fix that color problem right up ^^. Do we vote for mod of the year? I'll vote for this one if we do ^^.

2. AK71

AK71 What's a Dremel?

Thanks everyone! I know it's a 'marmite' mod and you will either love it or hate it but it's nice to see people judging my work rather than the theme of the mod.

It will have some more pink when it's done Dae! All the power wires and plugs will be pink :) I'm trying to hide as much wiring as possible, but they'll still be visible when contrasting with the yellow.

3. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

AK71 any progress?

4. AK71

AK71 What's a Dremel?

Yup, been a bit busy with Christmas and New Year to take photos. Also the fact that I am now using it even though it's not completed and I have Skyrim and Everquest 2 to play...

Update with photos coming tomorrow!

5. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Skyrim will tend to trap all your time into a void; I know that far too well...

6. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

There's a little female in all of us guys and since this one is definately fresh and different I subscribed instantaneously!

7. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

I wish spring/summer comes quicker. i really don't want to paint in this cold, wet weather. Project Rarity will happen, but it's going to have to be done in as few a days as possible, since it's my main rig

8. AK71

AK71 What's a Dremel?

Update 6th January Yay!

@Nutman Thanks! I think this is going to be the only yellow and pink PC case in the whole world :D

@WingZero Very true, I still have a lot of painting to do and even though I can do it in the conservatory it's still too cold really. Can't wait for Project Rarity and I have had the same problem with this project of it being my main rig. Next project I will hopefully just re-use some old hardware and get a cheap dual core CPU, I won't be replacing this case for a while!

On with the update. It's been delayed again as my back went and I've been laid up waiting for it to sort itself out but got some new progress pictures of the current state of the mod now.

[​IMG]

This has been the main cause of delays... I've gone from a 7600GT to a nice shiny GTX560Ti! Box it came in was bigger than my motherboard box. Slight overkill for my current old monitor but it will still be fine for when I upgrade soon. That writing on the box on the right hand side should say '20% cooler' :)

[​IMG]

Very nice looking card and not much bigger than my old one actually.

[​IMG]

And here she is with all the hardware in and wired up. Only mod I've done to the graphics card was to paint the slot plate pink to match all the others. I'm loving the combination of yellow, pink and black.

[​IMG]

Detail shot of the main wiring, sorry for the dust on the cooler fan! I forgot to wipe it before I took the photos and only just noticed when I came to re-size it... Oh well, it won't be there long as I have plans :idea: I've made my own cable extensions for all the power wires using pink OFC 16AWG cable and painted pink plugs. Took absolutely ages crimping and soldering all the pins on then checking the continuity of all of them. The cable is thicker than standard PC wiring and very flexible but holds position perfectly so it stays in place. I actually shaped them and cut the wires to the right length before soldering to the sockets which are hidden behind the motherboard tray to help get the curves right even more.

[​IMG]

The cover for the I/O ports showing the position of the power LED. I've never seen this done before but it seemed a good idea as I will be able to see it through the window when the side panels are on and it gets rid of the silver too!
    Speaking of silver the thing that stuck out to me was my CPU cooler. I'm using my old Freezer 64 Pro, it's perfectly capable but sticks out like a sore thumb with the colour theme. I was going to use my Freezer 7 Rev 2 but for some unknown reason, Arctic Cooling rotated the mounting mechanism by 90 degrees so it actually blows vertically rather than horizontally :wallbash: Still needs something doing to it though so I made this

[​IMG]

It's a cover for the top of the cooler just not sure if it should be yellow or pink. What do you guys think? I could also get another little picture of Fluttershy on there so that may sway the decision one way or the other. I'm also going to see if I can get the fan from my Freezer 7 to fit as it's quieter. It's white though so I will be painting it yellow when I've ordered more paint then I can fit it. The surrounds look to be the same size and the mounting mechanism clips look the same too so fingers crossed!

Then I need a backplate for the graphics card, finish painting the side panels and get the vinyls ordered for the outside. Doesn't sound like much but a lot of painting and making sure I get the finish right in this weather on the side panels. Once the main case is finished I can then start on the keyboard and mouse, I have some more unique plans for those so stay tuned.

9. NoobNeb

NoobNeb Enthusiastic Lurker

Pink for the top of the CPU cooler me thinks

10. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

11. Jadaba

Jadaba 1a2a3a

Dude I'm LOVING this build! Especially the "squee" face on the inside of the drive bays. And I totally thought that the GPU box DID say 20% cooler.

As for the plate, go either black or yellow, but with a graphic that looks like her kindness necklace.

12. AK71

AK71 What's a Dremel?

Black could be good. And thanks Jadaba, I never thought of using her element but it would fit well on there. Thanks for the compliment too!
    I like that picture Wing Zero, I've seen it before but I want to draw all the pictures I use for this myself really. Also with the size of fitting her between the ends of the heatpipes she'd only be about 1cm high!

13. AK71

AK71 What's a Dremel?

Yay! Glad to hear another pony mod is underway. If you need any help or have any questions Flooter just ask away. You'll have to make a worklog here on your project whatever else you do.

Just ordered some more paint so should be finished the side panels next week, still can't decide on the door and left side panel designs yet. I'll have to just start drawing or watching some episodes then I can order them to be printed.

14. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Were the 24, 8 and 4-pin plugs painted (you mentioned that earlier), or did you somehow manage to get some pink ones?

Oh, and I think white light would suit the build much better than the yellow - too much yellow, if you ask me. White light would accentuate the other colours more and the entire would benefit more from that - I think.. . ;)

15. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

this is a very thoroughly themed mod. I like the way you integrated the color scheme into everything.

16. AK71

AK71 What's a Dremel?

@FlooterDex No worries. I may not be the best modder in the world but I've done most things over the years. Just checked out that case too. Looks nice, not sure about the airflow though.

@Nutman I painted them all myself, I looked but unsurprisingly I couldn't find any pink ones! They all started out white then primered, 3 coats of pink paint then lacquered. Also this way I also didn't have to worry about colour matching from different suppliers, most of them came from different places.
    Thanks for suggestion about the white light. I was actually thinking of adding a white cathode on the bottom of the case. I can control the levels of all the lights from my fan controller so I can then switch between the two if I want to. I'll see how it goes.

@Voigts Thanks! I have a lot more to do and everything will be coloured and themed eventually. My new delivery of paint should be here tomorrow so I can start work on the keyboard and mouse :D

I have also decided on the designs to go on the front door and corner of the window, so I can start to get some quotes for having them printed on vinyl. Still a lot of work to do but the end is getting closer.

Baz likes this.
  17. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I love fluttershy but Pinkie Pie is my fav. BTW BEST MOD EVER

18. Nutyy

Nutyy Widden Palettes

Can't believe i haven't found this thread sooner, :wallbash: must be down to the fact that me visiting the modding forums is a Rarity.:grr: Great work going on here, keep it up!

19. AK71

AK71 What's a Dremel?

@The_Beast Thanks! I love all the ponies but Fluttershy is just the best for me. Maybe it's because I am actually most like her personality wise. Well, a combination of Fluttershy and Twilight Sparkle...

@Nutyy *facehoof* that was actually a good joke there. And thanks too! Stay tuned to this forum as there may be two more pony projects soon if Wing Zero and FlooterDex get their worklogs going.

More progress updates coming soon. Paint is taking ages to dry in this weather but I have been busy with the software side of the build. I just need to get a picture sorted out for Fox Logo and change the welcome screen then I don't think it's possible to get anything else Fluttershy themed! I'll have to take a video of the boot process when I'm finished.

20. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Would you not consider taking the cooler shroud off the GPU and painting it to match the case? It would break up the block of black from the motherboard and could look pretty nifty.