1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: FrozenFire (MORE!! Watercooling changes Sep 8 05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Firehed, 14 Feb 2005.

1. crimandevil

crimandevil What's a Dremel?

You got that carbon fibre from MNPC Tech right? Looks damn nice.

2. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Nice LARGE update. I think the PSU looks very good just the way it is. Are you going to CF the hard drive rack? or perhaps that Power Supply support bracket under your PSU..

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yep, I'm glad I did over PolyGFX - MUCH cheaper. And Bill is a great guy to deal with.

Yeah MS I noticed that bracket... the only possible problem being that it's rivited in to place. I could replace those with black screws I suppose and it would blend fairly well.

Both the hard drive rack and 5.25" will get a carbon fibre treatment. I'll do the right (visible) side first in case I don't have enough but hopefully that won't be a problem. I'm even considering doing the visible part of the mobo tray, but I'm not sure about that. It should end up getting acrylic (smoked) flat to it so it wouldn't be very visible. If it goes my way, that acrylic will extend to the left of the mobo tray and to (or hopefully behind) the other 5.25" side piece so I'll basically have a 1/2" gap for hiding all my wires. I'll be running my IDE cable for the DVD drives back there at the very least, the power cable for that stuff will probably get routed back there somehow as well.

Hopefully I can get just about the rest of what I need ordered sometime this week. Things keep popping up...like bulk wire and whatnot that I don't end up thinking of. And it sounds like the z-5500's that I want now use the z-680-style "loose wiring" for the satellites (vs the hardwired stuff) so I'm not sure whether I should pick up some better speaker wire for when I get them.

I love going off topic.... :rolleyes: I always end up wasting bit's bandwidth with these ideas I'm throwing out to myself instead of just writing them down :grr:

4. Firehed

Apparently I managed to kill off some bandwidth :jawdrop: So I signed up for photobucket... hopefully the premium service for $25/yr should cover me. The most recent pics are fixed, I'll work on the rest.

---

Ok, I've got everything but the first set on photobucket now. They'll be visible again by the 1st of the month at latest and since they're the only ones on my own server now they should be fine. I didn't feel like sorthing through the massive load of them.. if you're really desperate in the next few days paypal me a few bucks and I'll burn a CD of them for you :thumb:

Last edited: 27 Mar 2005
  5. modsquad

Sorry to hear about your picture_problems. That is a massive job to re-link all those pictures. I have been using photobucket premium since it's inception with -0- problems. If you think about it, $25bucks a year is not that bad..

6. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

It's starting to take shape, keep it up :thumb: One thing i'd love to see are some anodised black fan grills on that PSU.

PS: I can sort you with free unlimited hosting if you like, drop me a PM :D

7. Firehed

that's a really good idea about the black fan grills...

Leeum, if it's only pic hosting I'm probably fine now but I'll definately keep it in mind, if it's web then I could definately use it :D Of course I'll probably be fine now... the site itself wasn't even taking 5gb/month of the 15 I had.

I'm not even going to try relinking the pics on the first page like I said.. there were almost 100 in the album and I renamed them all form IMG_XXXX.jpg so it would take forever :jawdrop:

Unfortunately I can't really get anything much done this weekend, what with easter and all. 2x 3.5hr drives today, plus an essay and I'll be playing around with an oscommerce shop on my laptop to try and find out if my AC reseller idea will work out :thumb:

8. modsquad

Finding time can be a problem, no question. BUT you are off to a great start. I would agree, black fan grills would look cool. And only a few bucks. At least you should have some Aqua-Computer parts to play with next week (hope so anyway)..

9. Firehed

According to dan, the ETA (to him I'd think) is late this week/early next week. So hopefully I can finish up most of the CF vinyl work this weekend and start plumbing the line next weekend :D

I'm not having trouble finding time so much as money/supplies. I placed my Boltdepot order, all that's left is some misc stuff from allelectronics and a load of LEDs (and metal clips) from eBay or something (it's enough that it's far cheaper than LSDiodes, although normally I'd go with them).

Time.... yeah.. not that bad for me
    my school uses a two-day block schedule, so every other day I'm done at 11:30, usually home by noon. Other days, 3:15/3:30. Today, I had a half-day due to sophomore's doing some testing (I'm a junior so no testing for me!) on what was already a short day. Then, my second block gym class got cancelled, so I was done with school by... 9:25am officially. Basically, I have 3 half days this week, this quarter day today, and one full day which I'm already done with.

I may try my hand at painting a fan grill black, but I doubt it'll work that well. If not I'll just pick one up from wherever's cheapest.

10. modsquad

The chrome on the fan grill would have to be removed to get a good finish before painting. I think the black ones are powdercoated or bake-painted and only about $2.00 for an 80mm.

11. Firehed

Yeah, that makes sense. The grills are cheap enough, it's when you figure in twice that for shipping that it seems crazy (the one thing I hate about placing small orders online)

12. modsquad

True. Sooner/later you will need to order "something" (there is always something that gets over looked) and you can add them to the order.
    I will look around. I know I have one, but I may have two..

13. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Shipping costs from America to the Netherlands are so high that I ordered more then I needed from Danger Den. The stuff they sell is hard to get in Europe, so it wasn't difficult to sell the parts and earn back a bit from the shipping costs. Only I didn't expect to get a bill for taxes after 2 months :sigh: I will not do that again, after the taxes the price I had paid for all the stuff was absurd.

Why did I have to fall in love with those chromed BIX radiators :hehe: After 33 e-mails to onlineshops all over europe, all with the same answer, the only option was to buy them from Danger Den.

14. Firehed

Which is the painful part of my goal of setting up my own AC reseller. Import fees, taxes, etc.

The good thing is that I don't even need to take out the PSU if/when I get that grill :thumb:

15. modsquad

It is funny, guys from Europe want American H20 cooling gear and Americans want European gear! Human nature to want what's hard to get perhaps. :hehe:

16. Firehed

Sounds like we need to organize some sort of massive country swap. :rolleyes: In any case, I should try and get in touch with IT-trade soonish to find out about reseller rates :thumb:

17. KGB

KGB What's a Dremel?

wow i cant believe ive missed this one! i just gotta say man, the dual 6800gt's are a great way to top off this already perfect mod, has to be some of the finest work ive seen! very clean job man keep modding for the sake of us all! :dremel: (<~~ but dont forget to wear your saftey glasses, what good are you to the modding community if youd forget those! :D )

18. Firehed

:blush:
    Yeah, I always wear eye, ear and lung protection while modding now. The cuts I did in the top without a respirator casused me to be coughing up black spit (dremel wheel and aluminum dust) for about 12 hours... so I finally invested in a respirator that didn't cause fogged goggles (the cheapo dust masks made my breath to go straight up).

And some time ago I got a chunk of sawdust in my eye while doing set construction for the school play. I was actually wearing (crappy) safety glasses at the time but it really reinforces the need for them!

19. modsquad

Safety First. :thumb:
    You know. I can't believe this project has 14000 Views and 137 positive Replies BUT no rating. Why don't people vote? It only takes a second.

20. Firehed

Dunno, I never really bother to vote myself really. I rarely scroll down to that area of the reply box.

Anyways, my Boltdepot stuff came in so I've done some work with that stuff. Hopefully I'll get to apply more CF vinyl as well. I do wish they sold thread taps but oh well. I'm not sure if I'll need an M3 tap anyways. I should get pics up today or tomorrow.