1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: FrozenFire (OMG Update Jan 12 06, Aquaero VFD!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Firehed, 22 Sep 2005.

1. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

I didn't want to fool with any serial connections so I just got the USB version (CFA634-TMC-KU) from CF direct. My mobo (DFI Expert) does have one com port. I have an extra header but I am trying to avoid any more delays that come about as a result of trying to run more cables. The USB header is neat and very simple. I bought the serial version kit from Danny on ebay. It is NIB so I should be able to get my $60 back. I already have the Aquabay from a previous project. I am still waiting on my Twinplex Pro SLI from Franz. When he ships I will have him throw a black CF faceplate in the box and I'll be a happy camper.

To make room for the CF display I had to ditch my floppy and one DVD drive. No worries as I'll plug the floppy in when needed and haven't really needed both DVD drives for quite some time.

I may hit you up for your config. file in the near future. :D I've been lurking on the CF forums and there is a lot of good info there. I didn't think you could do so much with CF displays. Now I'm really looking forward to getting it plugged in. Thanks again for the link Sir.

Oh...I like the carbon fiber look. It looks really good in the areas where you are using it. :thumb:

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

By all means, just let me know. Using CrystalControl is incredibly easy (CC2 can do a bit more, but it's also harder to work with, and last I checked didn't have a real screen designer built in) - basically "~MEMUSED~/~MEMTOTAL~MB USED" in a textbox or something to that general effect. There are a couple of cool winamp plugins for the displays as well, so if you're one to use an Aquaero for system stuff (using jaLCDs) and the CF for winamp or whatever, it's a good combo. I only use winamp for videos now though, so obviously the display as a visualizer is rather pointless.

What I'd suggest you do is install CC and play around with a "Simulated LCD". Just do a 20x4 setup and experiement. You can save each screen and then just copy them into the CF634 display settings once you have it installed and working.

Thanks for the comment about the CF - I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I don't care too much for the bare alu, as it's almost impossible to keep looking nice (it gets scratched and fingerprinted too easily). All I really need to do at this point aside from rewiring stuff to my Aquaero is to get a window installed. Which I knew from day one would be tough, as 2mm side panels are tough to cut and make it hard to have looking nice (rubber trim isn't really meant for metal that big, and the molding that can hold in windows isn't really either, and I hate that exposed edge that I'd have with a typical bolt-on.

I doubt you'll miss either drive you have installed. I managed to toast one of my DVDRWs (my dual layer 16x! arg), probably when I needlessly opened it to apply the carbon fibre vinyl. Anyways, all of my media is 8x and despite how many discs I burn, I very very rarely find the availability of a second drive desirable. As for floppies, I haven't used them for anything but a RAID install since about 1999. Seeing that my upload speed is faster than writing to a floppy, and I've got sixty gigs of storage in my pocket fairly often, the need really isn't there anymore. And for those odd RAID installs, I've managed to do it off of a USB floppy drive.