1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: G5 Unlocked - Updated 10/12 2012

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nikkop, 16 Jan 2012.

1. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

Just sayign you need more hight to have a proper full length and high I/o Sheild

2. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

I'm aware of that thank you, but I'm not going to use a I/O Shield :)

I'll have it like in the pictures because I don't need all the ports available on the motherboard, the ones I'm getting out now are more than enough.

/Nikkop

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I know I'm late to the party, but I love G5 mods, so I'm jumping in now to say you're doing great and I've subbed! :thumb:

4. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

You may be late, but it's not over yet! Here, have this welcome drink ;)

Jokes a side, there will be an update coming tonight :)

Best Regards
    Nikkop

5. Williz

Williz Minimodder

I'm not usually a fan of Macs but I've always liked the design of the G5 case. Good job so far, looks like you;ve managed to improve your sleeving skills vastly! I won't suggest you modify the back IO too much (Ruining the fan positions) but I would suggest you make a tiny IO shield for the hole you've made mostly cause it'd look awesome I think.

6. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Thanks a bunch :)

Oh no I won't touch the I/O anymore, I'm satisfied as it is. As you say I might make an shield some day, however that's not a priority now :)

Here comes an update tho!

UPDATAE 18/5 201

Hey hey, here comes a small update which I solved two things, I placed the HDD cage and modded the fan mounts in the rear of the chassis so you could get where ordinary fans were :) I also introduce and showcase the products that I have been provided with by Crucial.

Here we go!

[​IMG]

Here is the SSD which will take place in the chassis.
    It is a Crucial M4 128GB with the following specs:

• Sustained Sequential Read: Up to 500 MB / s (SATA 6Gb / s)
    • Sustained Sequential Write: Up to 175 MB / s (SATA 6Gb / s)
    • 4KB Random Read: Up to 45.000 IOPS
    • 4KB Random Write: Up to 35.000 IOPS
    [​IMG]

Package Contents, adapter so that SSDn can be used by USB, installation CD and manual. And of course the SSD!
    [​IMG]

A very nice looking SSD if I do say so myself.
    [​IMG]

Test and performance of this SSD will of course be done!

Here comes product number two that I was provided with by Crucial.

It's RAM named "Crucial Ballistix Elite".
    Specifications below:
    • Module Size: 8GB Kit (4GBx2)
    • Package: Ballistix 240-pin DIMM
    • Feature: DDR3 PC3-12800
    • Specs: DDR3 PC3-12800 • 8-8-8-24 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 •
    • Thermal sensor allows real-time temperature monitoring
    • Custom Ballistix M.O.D. Utility - temperature monitoring and history

[​IMG]

This is how they look. I was very impressed over the look of these RAMs. Corsair Vengeance can roll over and give up to be honest honest.
    These look much better in every way, even the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) is black!
    [​IMG]

Pictures of how they look with the computer, and their performance will be at a later date! :)

Here we go on with the modding!

Here is the hard drive cage that is sat on the plate I sawed the last update (which also acts as a lock for the side-door).
    I thought it was nice sitting here.
    [​IMG]

However, it doesn't fit between these "hills" on the plate. If they would be a few millimeters wider between each other there wouldn't be a problem.
    So I decided to fix this problem.
    [​IMG]

Out with a dremel!
    [​IMG]

Now I have as you see sanded away some so that the cage hopefully will fit.
    [​IMG]

And here it is! Sits good! :)
    [​IMG]

I also made sure to screw the cage plate so that it is secure, and it seems to do ;)
    [​IMG]

When seated in the chassis. Discreet but functional, I like it!
    And for you who are wondering, I am boycotting the optical drives, so I will not have a DVD drive :) I'm doing very well without one!
    [​IMG]

Someone said hotswap? ;)
    [​IMG]

When it was fixed so we head for the next thing, namely, how to get the 92mm fan from Fractal Design to fit in the back
    PowerMac G5 has a kind of fan-mounting in the butt, but also to the fans' holes are running Apple own standard.
    As you can see in the picture it does not fit the holes at all but must be modified.
    [​IMG]

It was then to seek out a drill that was about the size of the fan hole on the fans, and I found indeed at the first attempt :)
    I was just putting down the fan to the desired location and drill. Because of the drill length so you can drill through the hole to hit exactly the right where you want, without having to make any markings.
    [​IMG]

So there, in place. Sleek and stylish, does not even look modified ! :)
    [​IMG]

And this is how it looks when both are in place, inside and out.
    Streamlined and functional, just as you want it :)
    [​IMG]

I have done some stuff for today but I will wait to do it updaten until I have finished them all! ;)

Until then,
    Take care and enjoy my updates! :rock:

/nikkop

7. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Here's an update.

Sorry for the long wait. I've had the update ready for a good while, but haven't had time to translate it. However, now school's over and I have had time to translate it. However, I'm leaving for Hong Kong this sunday so next update will be in a while :)

UPDATE 15/6 2012

Hello old men and ladies. Today I present my final two sponsors, namely,Antec and QuietPC!
    [​IMG]

A package has arrived! I wonder where it's from? ;) Jokes aide, not very hard to see!
    [​IMG]

We pack up the goodies and look around on the package (I always do, always nice!)

Specifications Kühler H2o 920

Features:
    • CPU Socket Compatibility:
       Intel LGA 775/1155/1156/1366, AMD AM2 / AM3 / AM2 + / AM3 +
    • Included Software Provides essential tools to control and monitor the Kuhler H ₂ O 920
    • Non-corrugated easy-bend tubes for maximum flexibility in radiator positioning
    • Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) radiator fans generation rate the quietest high-performance cooling
    • Customizable RGB LED creates brilliant illumination
    • Cooling Liquid - Safe, Environmentally-friendly, anti-corrosive
    • Fan Speed: 700 - 2400 RPM (PWM controlled)
    • Tubing Length: 13.0 "/ 330 mm
    • Radiator Dimensions:
      - 5.6 "(H) x 4.7" (W) x 1.9 "(D) /
      - 151 mm (H) x 120mm (W) x 49mm (D)
    • Fan Dimensions: 4.7 "x 1.0" / 120 mm x 25 mm
    • Air Flow: 110.0 CFM
    • Noise Level: 27.4 dBA
    • Cold Plate + Pump Height: 1.1 "/ 29 mm
    • Net weight: 1.6 lbs / 0.7 kg
    • AQ3 - Antec Quality 3 year limited warranty on parts and labor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unboxing time! Always fun and exciting :) Almost all of the pleasure of getting a package is to get out there and opening it, the content is just a bonus! ;)
    [​IMG]

The contents. CPU cooler, fans, brackets and manuals and accompanying CD for the included software.
    [​IMG]

The fans, 2x 120mm
    [​IMG]

CPU Block & Pump, LED, so you can choose the color of the logo within the software.
    [​IMG]

Radiator and hoses.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's what I had from Antec, and now the products of QuietPC to get down the volume on the system and other small things!

Even soft packages can be fun! ;)
    [​IMG]

Here we have soundproofing mat!
    [​IMG]

Silicone Rings which is set between different things, such as fan screws or hard drive screws to reduce vibration and sound! :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silicone frames for 92mm fans, to reduce vibration and noise.
    [​IMG]

1-4 PWM Fan Splitter. Sounds to me to have 4 pc fans on a fan site.
    [​IMG]

A small neat label to paste, may be well down the silence part also hoped! ;)
    [​IMG]

Now that I have presented stuff, it's time to use them! :)

Here are silencing carpet, as we see, it is large enough to cover the entire inside.
    [​IMG]

But why should I cover behind the motherboard for instance? Will only create unnecessary heat and reduce chance of wiring, so I will not do. Instead, we pull the scissors, pencil and ruler to cut the bits you need! :)
    We also see that I made the little cabling for SATA power supply that will fit behind the motherboard.
    [​IMG]

I chose to cover part of the chassis bottom of the motherboard will not lie against. The reason was primarily that it would be looking a lot nicer, but as well as to absorb sound and vibration for stuff that is nearby.
    I will also put soundproofing mat on the part of the side door that will stay up.
    [​IMG]

Here are silicone rings. Words, it uses 2x rings per screw holes. It is sold in 8pack, i.e. enough to secure a fan or a hard disk.
    Here we see the installation instructions.
    [​IMG]

The ring is mounted on a screw.
    [​IMG]

Here is the picture of where it should be installed. "Metal bit" is "frame" and therefore is the one call on one side of the piece and the second ring on the other side.
    As we then look at the picture, he is the one calling the hood from the "chassis", and the second bit of "chassis" and screw head.
    [​IMG]

It was then that the demonstration of silicone rings, but since I also got Silicone frames for 92mm fans think I used them instead.
    So here we see the silicone frame placed where the fan to be installed.
    [​IMG]

It came with screws and silicone rings to these frameworks.
    [​IMG]

Assembled for you! The screws are a little bigger than the previous but still fits snugly against the rear of the chassis so it does not matter at all.
    [​IMG]

You see how the silicone frame looks like and how it fits.
    [​IMG]

As I have mounted the most on the inside of the chassis. As these steps are easy and nothing special, I have not documented it, it meant screwing the motherboard and some of that stuff.
    Note that this is not a definitive assembly! Some stuff is not where they should and all the cables are not installed or installed properly. This is temporary to get some idea of ​​what the final would be and I'll post new pictures then when all is done as it should

Here we see the fans in the rear that is 2x Silent Series 92mm from Fractal Design.
    Although the power supply (Newton R 2 1000w 80 +) is from Fractal Design, the picture is only visible cables. These cables are of course however in a Paracord-sleeve that I was provided with by Djungelapa!
    [​IMG]

Here is also the cables to the graphics card, even those sleevade with Paracord-sleeve from Djungelapa.
    [​IMG]

SSD Crucial M4 128GB
    Thought it was a neat way to highlight the SSD, it is visible and it looks great, I personally think :)
    [​IMG]

Kühler H2o 920
    Puts it in front when it was good and steady there, and it will then get cold air, which favors the CPU temperature.
    The fan is upside down I know,it was a quick picture and I forgot to change the direction of the fan when I turned the radiator
    [​IMG]

Here we see the CPU block from the cooler where the logo can light up in any color.
    [​IMG]

And here we have a full view of the inside of the chassis!
    That said, not entirely clear (some cables should be routed and installed correctly, etc.
    But definitely an idea of ​​how it looks and it looks very good I think!
    All colors are matched and there is a harmony in the chassis! ;)
    [​IMG]

That said, at a later time so we put up more pictures and other good-things.

Namely, testing and execution of the Crucial Ballistix Elite Crucial M4 128GB and Kühler H2o 920

The reason why I can not do this just yet is because my motherboard decided to give up and leave me in the **** :) But when it's fixed (if I get new or buy new one) so the results are obviously up . Having said that, the project is not finished yet, but some remains!
    The actual modding back of the chassis is done! :)

So that was what I had to offer tonight!

More to come when I get the computer to work again, so to speak!

8. Williz

Williz Minimodder

Looking good mate! SSD looks a little wonky in that picture to me (Sorry ocd :p) but it looks very nice.

9. thegyufi

thegyufi What's a Dremel?

love apple mod !

With this, your pc must be quiet !!

10. Michellesisse

Michellesisse What's a Dremel?

Front panel

Hi

I was wondering. How have you solved the problem with the front panel. Apple to Atx?
    I'm doing a G5 case mod myself ;)

11. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

So now I'm finally on the right tracks again!
    I've been without a motherboard for months but now I've completed my rig and can continue this project and end it!

My last motherboard decided to die while I had a lot of study to do before graduation. After graduation I went to Hong Kong for two weeks, where I enjoyed the Chinese technology! (And other things too, of course).
    After HongKong I continued my half-time job I've had since April, while I was looking at a new apartment to move up and start studying at the university in a town far away from where I lived. I moved to a city named "Trollhättan", which stands for "Troll Cap". Very strange name indeed.

Of course school started really hard and it is difficult to find free time now that you are studying full time at the university and just recently began to live with your partner :) But I try as best as I can to get some free time!

Anyway, I sent my motherboard on the warranty issue and would get one back, instead I could put money in between and get a more expensive motherboard.
    Thank you Inet so much letting me do that.
    Anyway, sent my Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 and chose an Asus Maximus V GENE Z77. As you can imagine, so this also meant that I switched from AMD to Intel.

Why? I loved my AMD more than anything else (excluding non-technical stuff, heh), but I wanted to change to m-ATX (something they are short on at AMD) at the same time I felt I wanted to dump my video card and run GPU loose! (running the Intel HD 4000). I'm not an AMD nor Intel fanboy, so the change wasn't hard.

Enough about me and my little time I have been away from this project! :) Let's get down to business.
    So I thought I would update my dear project which is near its end! :)

[​IMG]

Would like to introduce and thank Dustin and their customer ombudsman who has just become my partners.
    They provide me with an Intel i7 3770K which I shall use for this project and it is something I thank them very much for!
    Dustin have been phenomenal and the support and contacts in general, I can only give top ratings!
    Dustin has proven to be fast in terms of business and even their customer service over the phone was very helpful.
    Dustin is a sweden-based re-seller of electronics, still I want to include them on the international forums to show my appreciation.
    This is my personal experience and not something I invented so I thank Dustin enormously and is happy to have another partner.

So I thought we start gently with some pictures! Other than that the chassis is basically finished, what remains is the assembly, installation of OS / Theme and testing of the products I have been provided with.

Let's go!

Here's a package I've been looking forward to!
    [​IMG]

Let's explore what is found inside.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here we see the stately Intel Core i7 3770k from Dustin!
    The delivery went very quickly, had it the next day.
    Dustin - Simply Faster
    [​IMG]

Inside the package contains the standard processor and its matching processor fan. (And paper and sticker).
    [​IMG]

Front and back of the processor - Looking good!
    [​IMG]

Because it is Dustin that provides me with this processor and not Intel itself, I will not put too much focus on the product itself, but instead I thank them for their awesome support, web-store and great prices!

As I said before I got me a new motherboard. It became an Asus Maximus GENE V Z77.
    I'm not a big fan of "ROG theme" as I prefer colors other than red, but apart from that it seems to be a very nice and competent motherboard!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I wanted to show something that I did not show with my previous motherboard, and that is how to mount the Antec Kühler H20 920th
    While it comes with an instruction booklet, it's always easier to understand when there are real pictures taken where they're demonstrated :)
    [​IMG]

These pictures will show you how to assemble for an Intel system. To install on an AMD system, the differences themselves is the "bracket" around the CPU and the one to sit in the back of the motherboard is different, but the basic principle is the same:.

Here we have the assembly for which the CPU block will sit clamped and the bit that should sit in the back of the motherboard.
    Insert the blue plastic bits (green for AMD) so the "catch" pointing inwards.
    Insert the "nuts" in the right hole for the socket you use (it is marked with numbers).

As you can see now I have assembled these nuts, and they seem to sit askew.
    This is how it should look on a 1155 system, so do not worry about it! :)
    PS! Do not forget the double-sided tape to sit there.
    [​IMG]

The processor that I have been provided with by Dustin mounted!
    [​IMG]

When you put it onto the back of the motherboard, you take the round circle with the blue plastic pieces and insert the screws in the plastic pieces.
    Seen it down over motherboard socket so that the screws poking through the hole where the nuts are.
    PS! In this picture I have the CPU plastic-protection left where the CPU should sit, you should of course do this after the CPU is in place! :)
    [​IMG]

Now you take a suited screwdriver and screws in these screws. You should not tighten them down all the way down, but just a little bit so they are in place.
    PS! CPU cooler (Antec Kühler H2o 920) has preapplied thermal paste, but because I prefer to frame my own so I have removed it and then apply my own. You do what you want!
    [​IMG]

Now we need to get the block in place. Since that "bracket" is not completely screwed down you are able to put the block in.
    Once you have done that, you should make sure that "bracket" is above the block's edges, then you should turn the block so that it attaches itself (much easier to understand when you see it in front of you.) Turn the block until you can see it will be able to catch with the bracket.
    Once that is done then you screw in the screws so that they are good and hard!
    [​IMG]

Here we can see now how it looks when the motherboard is in place.
    Since I originally had an ATX (now m-ATX) then the chassis designed for an ATX.
    However, this is no problem because an m-ATX fits just as well. The only difference is there is one more distance to use.
    I have also traded GPU (GTX 460) for a XBOX, so I'm on the integrated HD4000 in the processor.
    Must say I am very impressed by its capabilities! Played Team Fortress 2 and Dota2 without any problems, floating on without any FPS dips on 1680*1050.

The motherboard in the chassis
    [​IMG]

Here we see the cooler as I just installed!
    [​IMG]

Here we see the products that I have been provided with the Crucial and which I will review in the next update when I try the products! :)
    Crucial Ballistix Elite 1600MHz
    Crucial M4 128GB
    [​IMG]
    Finally for this update, I will show how I use a 1-to-4 Splitter for fans ! This I have been provided with by QuietPC! :)
    As you can see, it has 4pcs places for fans, 1 molex for power and a plug for connection to the motherboard.
    [​IMG]

Connect all fans to the splitter and then you suddenly more opportunities to get a better air flow in the chassis and a cooler computer! :)
    [​IMG]

That's what I had for now. A small "come back" for me.
    What remains now is to make the benchmarks and reviews on the products I've been provided with and install "Ubuntu" and the theme "Macbuntu".
    Of course, to fix the inside of the computer so it looks great too!

So it's not that much left on this project, but I have a new one in mind and that will begin when this is finished! ;) Hope you are interested for what it is, because I think it might be a little "revolutionary", if you are allowed to express it that way ;)

Thanks hello and have a nice day!
    Next update will coming soon.

Best Regards
    Nikkop

12. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Found a better place for it! Check previous post :D

Thanks! It's been fun to modify this case :)

You can buy pre-made cables from some guys at InsanelyMac I believe (if they still sell them, I think they do) otherwise you can make it yourself. There are instructions, let me see if I can find it for you :)

/Nikkop

13. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

I still do modifications on my G5 case (maybe create a project log from it on friday) and I have to say, your work inspired me it a lot of things.

14. ziza

ziza What's a Dremel?

I always loved a project in a MAC case.
    Besides making a nice looking PC you are making a quiet one.
    Congratulations for the project so far.

15. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Wow, thanks! That sounds fun! :) I'm glad I'm able to provide help and ideas for other modders, makes me happy :D

Thanks mate!
    I'm very pleased with the results, fun to hear you like it too!

/Nikkop

16. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Update: 29/10

Benchmark and Test of Crucial Ballistix Elite 1600MHz CL8

Hello there!
    Here I am with a small update with tests and benchmarks done on products that I received from my partners.
    [​IMG]
    Crucial

Crucial Ballistix Elite 1600MHz CL8
    [​IMG]

I figured I would start by testing the Crucial Ballistix Elite 1600MHz RAM.

These RAM modules are the nicest I've seen, hands down. Black PCB with black, tall and good-looking heatsinks they make into something unique that no other manufacturer offers. They fit extremely well to a motherboard with black design or black parts. The RAM has black PCB (printed circuit board = board) which actually does a lot on the looks as the PCB on other RAM modules often is green, which doesn't look as good. If you choose to water cool your RAM modules, black PCB is a big plus.

[​IMG]

Info:
    • Module Size: 8GB Kit (4GBx2)
    • Package: Ballistix 240-pin DIMMs
    • Feature: DDR3 PC3-12800
    • Specs: DDR3 PC3-12800 • 8-8-8-24 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 •
    • Thermal Sensor Allows real-time temperature monitoring
    • Custom Ballistix M.O.D. Utility - temperature monitor and history

The free ware application HWMonitor reads and displays temperature values ​​for these RAM thanks to the built-in built in temperature sensors in the Crucial Ballistix Elite. I stress-tested using Prime95 on Blend (Lots of RAM tested) and got the following results.
    [​IMG]
    It turns out that the temperatures maintains the same value, probably because the RAM is rarely warm/changing temperature. However, it is a nice feature for us who love to keep track and fiddle with our systems and this is a plus! :)

I took tested and RAM memories performance using two programs, AIDA64 and MaxxMEM2.
    Results are following:

AIDA64
    [​IMG]

The test shows us that the Crucial Ballistix Elite 1600MHz CL8 results in my test in AIDA64 are:
    • Read: 18,472 MB/s
    • Write: 19,439 MB/s
    • Copy: 21,368 MB/s
    • Latency: 42.4 ns

MaxxMem2
    [​IMG]

The test shows us that the Crucial Ballistix Elite 1600MHz CL8 results in my test in MaxxMEM2 are:
    • Copy: 22,063 MB/s
    • Read: 20,145 MB/s
    • Write: 19,028 MB/s
    • Latency: 56.2 ns

As we see the different programs gives us different results. This is something you should always predict as various benchmark program tests in different ways.
    _____________________________________________________________________________

Crucial Ballistix Elite 1600MHz is running at the baseclock of 1600MHz (note that in some/many motherboards you must set the 1600MHz yourself as 1333MHz is a standard, often on Intel).

But the question is, how much impact on the results does a higher clock do?
    I test by changing from 1600Mhz to 1866Mhz in the BIOS, without touching any other RAM settings such as volts or timings. This is very easily done and can be done by anyone knowing how to enter BIOS.
    An increase from 1600Mhz to 1866Mhz is an increase of 16.6% in the frequency.
    Will the results increase?

Let's see!

AIDA 64
    [​IMG]

The test shows us that the Crucial Ballistix Elite CL8 at 1866Mhz (1600MHz stock) results in my test in AIDA64 are:
    • Read: 20,458 MB/s
    • Write: 20,005 MB/s
    • Copy: 22,791 MB/s
    • Latency: 38 ns

The difference in percentage between 1600MHz and 1866Mhz in AIDA64:
    • Read: ~ +11%
    • Write: ~ +3%
    • Copy: ~ +7%
    • Latency: ~ 11%
    The results show us that by raising the clock will raise the performance in AIDA64, everything between 3-11% in this case. For some, this small difference mean something, for others not. We see the big difference in read and decrease in latency (which is good).

How do the results change in MaxxMEM2?

MaxxMem2
    [​IMG]

The test shows us that the Crucial Ballistix Elite CL8 1866Mhz (1600MHz stock) results in my test in MaxxMEM2 are:
    • Copy: 23,263 MB/s
    • Read: 22,261 MB/s
    • Write: 19,495 MB/s
    • Latency: 50.7 ns

The difference in percentage between 1600MHz and 1866Mhz in MaxxMEM2:
    • Copy: ~ +5.5%
    • Read: ~ +10.5%
    • Write: ~ +2.5%
    • Latency: ~ 11%

The results show us that by raising the clock will raise the performance in MaxxMEM2 , everything between 2.5% -11% in this case. For some, this small difference mean something, for others not. We see the big difference in read and decrease in latency (which is good).
    Test programs increase the clock speed of the RAM one (1600Mhz to 1866Mhz) gets the same results, an increase up to 11% .
    The increase from the baseclock was just over 16%, and the results are increased by up to 11% in these tests. Overclocking the RAM modules increases performance of the RAM. No question about it.

My review for the Crucial Ballistix Elite 1600MHz CL8:
    Positive:
    • Appearance - Black PCB, Black sleek, tall and stately heatsinks. Have not personally seen any prettier RAM.
    • The low timings - CL8 is low (default seem to be at CL9 and up).
    • Built-in temperature sensors - Good and useful for us who love to keep tabs on our hardware.
    • Stable - Not had any problems with them, ever (have used them for half a year).
    • Low price - 660kr (cheapest on-hunting) for the 16GB (4x4GB).
    • Affordable!

Negative:
    • Ballistix logo is only on one side of the RAM module. Some motherboards have the RAM slots so that this log that case pointing outwards from the motherboard and therefore not visible logo in a chassis. However, this is dependent on the motherboard. (On the Intel logo pointing "outwards" and AMD "inwards".

[ Results :

I give Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz CL8 5/5 cookies .

They are stable, fast, looks good and are cheap (check your local dealer, but in Sweden they are cheap). Additional functions such as temperature sensors increases the feeling of the quality and the RAM modules feels solid and sturdy. Being able to improve performance by changing one little thing in the BIOS is good for beginners, but for us with a little bit more experienced, there is sure a lot more juice to get out of these RAMs. (by increasing the clock, changing timings and voltage). The Ballistix logo that is only on one side of the RAM is not a deal-breaker, and it's not something you think about. Some might even think it's prettier without the logo? However, not anything that bothers me.

Next test and review of a product is the Crucial M4 128GB and it will come in any day!
    Keep yourself updated! :)

Best Regards
    Nikko

Last edited: 10 Dec 2012
  17. Razbit

Razbit What's a Dremel?

Look's nice :)

Keep up the good work, pal :thumb:

PS. Have you considered hack1ntoshing this build? ;)

18. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Thanks mate! Appreciate it :)

No, not really. I've run OS X in school and such and to be honest I don't like it at all. Sure it's badass to have OS X running on a PC but I can't stand it, I prefer Winblows :D

/Nikko

19. elAwesome

elAwesome What's a Dremel?

Awesome. I'll also do a G5 mod together with a friend, but we'll try to keep it as original as possible. Nice work though! The gray looks great.

20. pukujuhla

pukujuhla What's a Dremel?

Nikk,

What was the end result with the PSU and cooling?

I'm looking to use the same PSU set up - do the 60mm fans keep is cool enough, are you using 2 or 4?

Also, is it loud?

THanks!!!

*Awesome build