1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Homebrew CNC Machine

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by JavaDog, 8 Apr 2005.

1. gatecrasher1986

gatecrasher1986 What's a Dremel?

But where would the fun be in that?

This is looking real good. Luckally i can just wander of to my dads work and use their cnc machines and lathes.

2. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

at my dad's work the have a BIG cnc machine. and a laser cutter\engraving machine.

3. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

I guess it would be easier, but I don't have the $10,000 - $100,000 that it would cost for a "real" CNC machine. To be honest, I take a lot more pride in the fact that mine is built, not bought.

That's nice. :rolleyes:

4. (spc)kuhnkejer

(spc)kuhnkejer What's a Dremel?

you cant get a cnc for 10,000 you sould say from 40,000 to 1,000,000. and as far as this mod i dont think it will work not because you have a bad idea its just that cnc machines need power behind them and those motors wont do the job maybe at a small feed rate and a good end mill but you cant cut steel with that setup maybe copper but i dont think so second how are you going to program for the z axis ?? or are you just going to run a program that cuts every thing at one hight the change the hight then run another progam?? but anyways i love the fact that you tryed it made me look into trying but its better to buy a real one then it would be to make one

5. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Pfft, wimp. I used a 0.1F cap on mine :D

6. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Heh...where to start.

Well, you can get a used Fadal or HAAS for $10k. But yeah, "real" CNC machines are well over that.

I will be able to rapid at around 150ipm - 200ipm. I don't want to mill/machine steel. I will be machining Aluminum, Plastics and maybe Copper if I have the need. My machine will be able to handle all of those with ease.

How am I going to program for the Z-axis? Well, the CAM software I am using generates G-code for up to 5-axis machines, and my controller software supports the same. The CAM software is costing me over $1500 alone. It generates the toolpath/gcode from the models I design in Autodesk Inventor. So, my Z-axis will function just fine.

When I am done, I'll machine you a friggin clue. :thumb:

Yeah, I was looking at some larger ones but I got a great deal on five 37,000uf 75vdc Mallory caps (only $15!!).

Last edited: 28 Apr 2005
  7. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Posts like that are so idiotic. I dont understand why people who joined these forums say things like this?
    If you joined here you joined for one of two reasons if not both.
    1. To learn from some of the craftsman here
    2. To show your work here.

So if its answer A then your lerning how to make your own cnc machine witch isnt a small feat and save yourself a sh!tload of cash.

Now on with your coment. Isnt it easier to buy a premoded case than to mod one yourself? You do certain things because it brings you pleasure in working with certain things and also because its a life experience. Now be inovative and watch and learn and dont add to idiocy to this planet, there alredy is enough idiocy around so the barrel is full.

8. (spc)kuhnkejer

from the looks of your pics it dont look like those servo can handle 150 ifm but if you say so i know how you can get 5 axis on a program the thing is how will you put a servo on a drill or are you going to go with a used mill ive never seen a cnc funca machine for 10 that was worth buying maybe a hass they suck anyways or a mazak but funca controls cost a lot i wasnt try to say you couldnt do it i just dont know how you will and copper isnt that easy to machine and what is you travel going to be and what will you use to hold down the medal and how will you teach the tools are you going to be able to put offsets into your machine ive neverr seen a cad program take off set and with out off set you cant teach the tools so how will the program know where t start cutting it mitecut air or it might slam into the medal and break your endmill and move your servo and the ball screw will get messed up just wounder and as far as getting a clue thats really 1980s dont you think ( iwas just pionting out some of your problems ) anyways good luck if it works my power to ya :idea:

9. luvbug

luvbug What's a Dremel?

Punctuation is a wonderfull thing...

Javadog, nice idea, nice start, and nice drawings. I'm interested in this because I too will be building my own 3-axis CNC machine. I'll be using 80/20 for the framework, a 2 1/2 HP Bosch router to do the cutting, ¾ MDF for the bedplate, AutoCAD 2004-to-AlphaCam 2005 for the software, and I haven't decided on or gotten the motors/servo's or the controllers/software yet. It's going to be a 4 foot by 6 foot working area, so slightly larger for the complete unit. I've been to ALL the DIY CNC sites and have read Kong's project log (all the way through) several times. I will probably do the same with this project log before I actually begin building mine.

So far, total cost is $300 for the software, $50 for the router, and $25 for the MDF. The rest was free... yes, I said free. I got 3 complete units like Tiger Stops from the scrap metal pile. They are complete with 6 foot ballscrews, 6 foot linear THK rails and bearings, stopnuts, drive belts/gears, a couple stepper motors, and even that flexible "track" wiring loom stuff to keep the wiring protected and safe.

Best of luck with this project and please keep us updated!

luvbug

10. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Good to see some real thought out engineering in here :rock:

Ill be keeping a close eye on this project as its the first home made cnc i've seen in the making.

Hope you manage to maintain high levels of craftsmanship throughout and end up with something to be proud of :)

11. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

They are 360oz/in. I will be using a 2:1 belt drive reduction for 720oz/in of torque. Plenty of others have used this set-up and had great results, in plastic AND aluminum with decent feed rates. I may not be building a speed-demon, but it is only costing me $2,000.

My Z-Axis consists of a DeWalt 2 1/4HP router as my spindle. There is a servo that will move the Z-axis up/down - obviously controlled by the software. This will be a 3-Axis machine. I may add a 4-axis for turning down the road...

I've seen some excellent used machines go for $10k - $15k. Still, out of my budget and not what I need.

Great. Watch and learn.

No, it isn't. If I do any copper work, it will be for something like a waterblock - so I won't need high feed rates.

About 22in X-axis by 22in Y-axis by 5in Z-Axis.

Any combination of hold-downs, bolting the part to the table, clamps, jigs - it varies depending on what you are trying to do.

That is all handled by my CAM software (not CAD). I can program my cam package for the material, endmill, X/Y/Z stops, toolpaths, part entry, etc etc.
    It is an excellent software package.

Maybe some screenshots would help:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry, when someone tells me I can't do something (that they themselves can't do) I tend to take it as an insult. :thumb:

12. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Wow, I know I got good deals on my parts - but that is an amazing deal for free!! 6ft ballscrews and linear rails would sell for thousands each on ebay.

Yeah, Kong has a nice machine. Check out SantiniUK's machine that he just completed, very nice also. My second machine is going to be a full size machine like yours...but that is down the road.

Thanks for the support! :thumb:

13. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Well, not only do I think you can do it, but I look forward to seeing the results. As for (spc)kuhnkejer, I have a hard time taking someone seriously when they appear unable to punctuate or spell. These forums are here for some to show, some to learn and most of all, constructive feedback and support.
    I think anyone looking at this project knows that you aren't gearing up to machine an engine block. Most of us understand that this is for personal satisfaction and small scale parts. As for 10kUSD, there are small CNC mills available complete for 2000USD; intended for the hobbyist or model building. And certainly there is a community of people out there who have done this successfully and shared their knowledge. There really isn't anything stopping anyone from doing this at home. I say, mad props to JavaDog.

14. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Thanks! Seems you understand (as do most) what this project is. :thumb:

Also, my favorite UPS man dropped of my Gecko Drives last night!

[​IMG]

These are the electronics that parse the information coming from the breakout board and control the servos. They also control the power sent to the servos. Wonderful little gadgets, they are. :D

Last edited: 29 Apr 2005
  15. (spc)kuhnkejer

ok i see how youll be able to do this where did you get that cam software from and what kind of computer will you use to run and as far as being able to do this I can.
    Thanks! Seems you understand (as do most) what this project is. Hahaha were you talking about me funny I understand believe i do Ive worked with cnc machine and I know how they work It just hard to imagine makeing one for 2,000 thats all anyways just want to keep telling you nice work and i hope it works out for you

16. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

It is from a company called OneCNC. The software is XR-Mill. They come highly recommended.

I have a dual 2.1ghz AMD based system with a Tyan Thunder server motherboard and 1gb of ram. Windows XP Pro. 64bit 2gbps duplex Fiber HBA with external 4 drive Fiber SAN populated with 4 Seagate 10k rpm 36GB drives. :thumb:

17. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

That's looking pretty damn good so far, man. I can't wait to see more pictures. And, (spc)kuhnkejer, for the love of all things holy, learn to punctuate, dammit. It's damn near impossible to tell what the hell you're saying.

18. kaotic504

kaotic504 What's a Dremel?

wow, this is going to be wild. i can't wait to see it. building something like this is just great, it'll be so useful in making things such as custom waterblocks and such. man, i would CNC tons of stuff for my watercooling components. i really like the PolarFlo adapter kit for the D4 pumps. when you're done, want to make me one? ;) i'll pay of course!

19. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

Man, this thing is gonna own...

Any particular reason you're gluing it to your server? Home SAN - now that's HARDCORE.

(And I thought I was fancy running ESX)

Anyway - how would you compare XR-Mill to say... Mastercam 9?

edit: PS, check the sig. I put it in as soon as I read the quote. awesome.

20. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

That guy needs to take a good look at cnczone etc to see what has been done before, dur

The gecko's come with that toy, dont they? nice touch, i like it

I love seeing a project like this happen, its inspiring.