Project: Knight Rider/CWC Dead

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Marquee, 8 Nov 2005.

1. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

This project was never finished. After two yeas of working on this mod. A family member toke a bat to it one day. Not only this project but my whole work shop area. This project destroyed. I kept what I could but the is to much bent metal, scratched paint and to many pulled wires to fix. I am sorry. But what a fun ride. I learnt allot and grow as a person. Looking back on it baking the paint was quite a crazy thing but man did it look sexy. I leave you with couple pictures down memory lane.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The END.

Knight Rider/CWC Log Discussion

Pic may be down. If so pics are reposted from page 2 and on.

[​IMG]
    ^50% Finished

Hi guy. This work log was two different projects but in a mix up they are going to end up as one. Let me give you a little background into the cases. The Knight Rider was thought up about two years ago. In the last two years of High school you have a choice in what type of project you want to do. Basically you can come up with anything and if you can relate it back to school work you can do it.

Some of thing I had to do was lots of hands sketches, AutoCAD blueprints and measure my performance. The knight Rider was going to become an extreme air cooling case. For the most part even till to day it is. It has 80mm delta, 120mm delta and the over all design it made for more air flow.

Now the CWC project. The CWC like the knight rider mod was created for a school marks. But since it was my last year in school I wanted to go out with a bang, So we thought of freezing the CPU. We had everything to do that but for some reason the tech department head teacher found out and said that out school is a environmentally friendly school and that we can’t make this case its not friendly to the environment. So we stuck with extreme water cooling. So the idea on the CWC was create out own water block and use high flow pump. Also to create our own res. In the end both CWC and Knight Rider were half finish. But I still got perfect on the project presentation and my paper work due to my charming persuasive skills.

Get ready for the flood of pics cause it come with a bang.

Last edited: 26 Jan 2013
  2. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

The blocks

Well is the story of the REV3.0 starts like this:

Every year as part of a school project I convinced my Tech teacher to let me mod a case for my final project. Of course with my talent, persuasive speeches I end up modding in the name of education. You got to love that.

Well this year, since it was my last year at this school I want to end it of with a project to beat all the others. I really wanted to cool my CPU with an A/C but a little hard since I have never even water cooled.

So I decided to create custom water cooling setup. It originally consisted of a custom water block, custom reservoir and a 5/8" tubing. Quickly I realized that my ego had allot to do with this design and that I didn't to much money for a custom water cooling kit. Only $200CDN= $165US

I scraped the idea to create custom reservoir do to the fact it would be cheaper to buy one build one to the spec I wanted. I also scraped the 5/8" because the pump I am using wont pump more then 500GPH. So I re-designed to a 1/2" system and calculated cost. Costs were still high but I decided to keep moving forward and design the first of many water blocks.

I contacted BlueBall the modder behind "Project OverMod". I asked him tips on designing a waterblcok since he has made a few custom block. I went through 3 major revisions before reaching the final design of the CWC REV3.0 Sorry for the huge pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last few drawing show miner changes made after conversations with BlueBall. With a ISO blue print created in AutoCAD I went out to buy copper. It was cheaper to go from 1”thick to ½” with twice the length with was BlueBall’s Idea that saved me $30. I bought a copper bar ½” thick 2” wide and 1’ long. I soon cut the bar into 2 ½” lengths. As that is the length need for the water block.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry again about the image size guys.

As part of this project I ordered some stuff from Voyormods.com:

RBX 64 Waterblock

Hydro L25

9’ of ½”

Black clamps

Single 120mm heatcore

Swiftech MCRES- 525 Reservoir with 1/2" fittings

I ordered the RBX block just incase my block doesn’t work I have a back-up and also to compare my block to the block that most similar to my design and respectable block to compare too.

Here is the case I will be mounting the system into: Sorry for the huge pic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys think of CWC3.0 and the water cool system I will be putting together shortly?

3. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

I bought some more stuff yesterday. The 1/2" barb to 3/8"NPT. They only had three so, that will be for the W/B. I also bought paint, a handle for the paint to I can use the cans as a gun. Also some stainless steal clamps that were .81 Canadian a piece that like $.00 all other currencties. And last some screw to screw the pump to the case. What was weird was my box for my pump look used. Like the pump has been used before:rant: , the pump it self looks ok and will test soon when I get the water in my system. Also bought screws for the Heatcore but, they were not long enough so I might return them.

oh yeah, bought 2m of 18g (bought three different colours) wire so I can mount my PSU in front and have the plug in the back.

P.S. will post soon when I get the camra back from older sis. And no she anit hot for all the sick minds out there.:lol:

4. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

This is a massive update, due to the fact I got my water cooling stuff in the mail, the basic build up and more stuff I bought to help me but this water cooling together.

lets start witht he mail. song "its beginging a little like X-mas"

[​IMG]

Now this is the pump with the used box, and maybe a used pump:rant:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some stuff I pickup, first is a can gun. So you can fill like pro:lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

Here are some more, BTW I bought tack cloth, Taflon tape, can paint the can gun, 2m of three wire (18g) and stainles steel clamps. Oh yeah brass fittings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought stainles clamps cause the plastic ones are little and only three or 2 theeth catch on to each other, so I bought some stainless and still using plastic on pump in and res in and out

6. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

I got reallt nice paint job with out sanding. This was my frist time using tack cloth and what a differenc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see its very tight for space in my case. I dont now how I am going to mount the heatcore and add shroud on top of that. As you can see that last pic were with the heatcore place flush againist the fan and still not that much room.

7. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

I got the NEW RIG.

This RIG is game for less RIG. I love it works well and although I am ranning part time XP and part time 20K its smoking.

I started off with a:

DFI LANPARTY UT nf4 Ultra-DB)
    AMD 64 3000+ (with E3 core of course)
    1GB OCZ Preimer (2.5, 3, 3, 7)
    Giga-byte 6600GT
    cheap 400W PSU (w/dual fan and super loud)

I also have this from my old RIG
    WD 120GB 8mb cache IDE
    seagate 120GB cache IDE
    CD reader 52x
    burner 1X

This new system is crazy overclocker. The DFI motherboard gives so much options for voltage and overclocking controls.

I have easly overclocked the CPU to 2.5Ghz:thumb: but I toke it back down to 2.4Ghz because I have bad RAM and stock cooling. Although I should finish the water cooling system now. As far as the video card goes, I have taken it from 500/1000Mhz to 570/1.18Ghz. Over all the 3dmark 05 score went up by about 500 points after the overclok. From 3324 to 3855. I am still not finished overclocking and my goal is to hold it stable at 2.5Ghz which will be 800Mhz increase, talk about value overclocking.

I hope soon I will get pics up. I just love this system better then my old one which was:

1Ghz CPU (Duron)
    MSI motherboard
    agp 4x with 5200 overclocked to 300/360Mhz from 250/280something.
    value 512mb RAM

Project CWC is one giant step closer to finish.:)

8. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

Here is a special for Bit-Tech that my work logs at other sites don't have.

Kinda like PimpRig I will give a pic of the boxes and the hardware under light. This time for Bit-Tech keeping with the purple theme its under UV light. Enjoy Bit-Tech members.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

ok here is goes guys. This is going to be so crazy. Some of you that have seen my water pump quetions. So you might know that I have ordered some parts that will finish my project CWC. My orginal idea for CWC was a whole new case with water cooling. Now do to cash flow I am going to use a simaler chassies as my Knight Rider case and will be doing some simple mods to the chassie to fit the water cooling.

I have got a Air Intake Cleaner box cover off and old beat up ford truck. It has dual 80mm ducts and is ideal shape to house a haetercore. I am going to try and mount the heatercore in the top of the case were I will put the air intake cover.

I still need to figure out were I will put the Pump. Since I bought a rather large pump I am going to need to mount it a ideal spot were the hose went bend to much.

[​IMG]

This is what the Knight Rider Chassies looks like. The only difference is that, insted of 80mm hole in the back I will put a 92mm or hopfull 120 if it fits. The Rade will be mounted on the top of the top panle.

[​IMG]

10. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

Before I go any ferther I am, going to show you all that has been done to the Knight Rider case now.

I have been working on my Knight Rider case every weekend when I get some time. Its been hard find spare time lately due to school and the urgent need of last minute marks needed to get in the school of my choice so here are some of the pic’s I have for now. I am also looking for some one to do some of my electrical wiring work for me. $$$

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a list of thing I still need to do to this case.

1) Sand front, Bondo the pipe on
    Primmer
    Paint

2) Create a led chaser(look for some one today that)
    Relocate the PSU power cable to the rear of the case

3) Cut a hole on the side for the 3" PVC exhaust
    Create a mounting plate for the 3" pipe
    Paint the pipe

4) Find new PSU case for rear hard drive cooler
    Cut new hole in to the PSU, for the IDE and blow hole

5) Extend the length of ATX wire so I can route it through the back

6) Get new video card cooler
    Lap it

Then here is the sticky part

SILICON all fans to the frame so they don't move and make sounds

SILICON
    the front panel onto the frame

Create and then silicon a face plate for the PSU located in the front.

What do you guys think? By the way I can paint PVC right?

I am still looking for People to make the front chaser and extend the lent of ATX.

11. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

In one of the 3'5 drive bays. Since all my 5" drives are in use I would need to put it in one ofe the 3'5 drives.
    By the way I want to contract the Knight rider light’s out, to some one. To make the LED chaser like the one from Bit Technologies. And also to relocate my PSU plug in for the power wire to the back. Since I am placing my PSU in the front I don’t want any wires come from it and I have an empty PSU in the back were the original one was, that has to fans and my hard drives. It has the same lay out as the G5(position of the hard drives). I also want to pay some one to my PSU ATX connector wire longer so I can hide it instead of going directly to my motherboard make such a mess in the air flow.
    So if someone can give me a quote on this work e-mail me at Marquee.Mark@gmail.com
    Hope fully you leave in T.O. so make it easer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

The rest of this took place in the last few days:

Well since the last update there has been slow modding but now I am in a rush to finish the case to bring it to the TFL summer fragfest. Well any way there are a number of thing that need to be done and if I do a few each day I will make it.
    The last time I left this project it had thick Bondo layer on it. Well I got a sander so that didn't take long to sand down. Her let me list what I must do still
    -Bondo the tail pipe to side panel
    -Sand down the side 120 grit
    -Bondo again
    -Sand 220 grit
    -putty sand 300 grit
    -prime
    - sand 400 grit
    -colour
    - Sand 600 grit
    -colour
    -Sand 1000grit
    -sand 1500
    -cleat-coat
    That is for the side only. The front needs one bondo, one putty and prime/paint. For the front I am not going to clear-coat it just yet I am going to wait till I come back from the tourny. I also have to create a front panel control array. This is were the fan and a few switches will be mounted.
    Here is what I have done s o far:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok guys got more work done.
    Here is the setup I used to make the pipe leveled while I bondo the pipe to the side panel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is what it looks like when it was finished and sanded:
    [[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/marquee_mark/computerupdateupdatesidepanel001.jpg/img]"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/marquee_mark/computerupdateupdatesidepanel001.jpg/img][/url]
    Here is the bondo area up-close. You can see that I need more bondo work:
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/marquee_mark/computerupdateupdatesidepanel024.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is some scary stuff I found:
    [​IMG]
    RUST NOOOOOOOOOOOOO not RUST. oh god now I have to tremclad the back side of the panel.

13. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

Here is part two of the update for the side. This would me the second layer of Bondo on the side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

I want Red lights like the real knight Rider. Also since this will be a gaming rig I want to use only red lighting in the case and chaser. The reason is that red light doesn't effect the eyes as much as other colours at night, meaning that you wont be blinded by you cases window when you take a look at is during gameing action. I want to mount it in the 3 1/2" drive, if not I want to mount it in the case and cut a window.

I do have some knowlegde with wiring things but I still feel I am a noob, the only thing outside of school I made, is a set of LED lights made to look like the lighting effect of the Abit boards. Like under the mobo lighting. It worked but one LED lead touch metal and burnt out the whole lighting set-up.

Here is a drawing that I made in my note-book.
    [​IMG]

15. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

Here is some more update. Here are some areas I have to watch for and do better job when puttying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

And now here is some more. This is putty after sanding with 400 grit, wet sanding.

BTW for my dry sanding as much as possible I used a machine, but for wet sanding nothing like a cold drink and an hour sand in peace.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is still allot of sanding to be done. I was suppost to prime the case to day in my schudel for the 20th but I will sand early tommorow and prime. Theb my mid to late after noon I can paint it after so more sanding.

17. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

Ok her is the side right before second putty and then right after putty was applied. Then we have the areas I must watch when I sand. These areas have far to much putty or so much build up of putty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are also some pics of the table that I am using to put the case together while work on smaller piece.

18. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

19. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

For a primer, when ever I use a bod filler I use a prime like spot filling primer.

Just to take it to the LAN Party, last mount I painted the side Black. Its un finished but its black so it looks close. When I get back from the LAN I will sand down and apple the putty again to fill the holes and cracks around the pipe. NExt step after the is the hours of wet sanding and painting to achive my perfect paint job. As far as cooling goes the case it crazy, I have about 39% increase in my CPU speed, and before I only had about 20%. So that like 19% increase with this case. And the only reason for this is the Shroud I created.

[​IMG]

20. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

I got the camera again

Here I go again.

Here she is, under UV light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For some reason, again there is crap in my water. I think its crap or might just be foaming up of the water as it gettes air rated. That swiftech stuff made my water kinda foam up. BTW Guy red dye and swiftech addtive dont mix. I added the red dye stuff and still the water is UV green. I didn't know the swiftech stuff had UV dye in it.

[​IMG]

This bad boy will be mounted some were for easy acces later.
    [​IMG]

Test PSU.
    [​IMG]

As you can see still need to get a screw and nut that are long enough go through the Rad, but that are still thin.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Nov 2005