1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Lil´pirate (laptop mod) - Project down! :(

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by HeZ, 7 Nov 2006.

1. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I think the yellow would show scratches, dirt, etc a lot more visibly than a darker colour, so for that reason I think you should go with the navy blue or some other dark colour.

2. ◄ ηΘ×ĮΘu§ ►

◄ ηΘ×ĮΘu§ ► What's a Dremel?

No, dark colors show scratches and hiccups int he painting process much more so than a brighter, yet lighter shade. Is why black cars are so hard to keep clean and in desirable condition.

3. HeZ

HeZ What's a Dremel?

Oki, i have decided... If i can find a nice shade of yellow ill chose that (i like the warning sign effect of the color). If not ill go for darkblue.

Uppdate will come soon, have worked all weekend so im abit late on my earlier prommised update. :/

4. HeZ

HeZ What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the really late update, im working at a resturant/nightclub + a newspaper atm so i havent had allot of free time. But that will change after christmas. :D

I have bought some paint, sandpapers etc... edit: tried to get the cat to sit down and look in to the camera but it was impossible! :p
    [​IMG]

And i have primed + painted the first layers!
    [​IMG]

Hard to get the yellow to show its real color, but it has that warning sign color (atleast the same as here in sweden) and im really happy with it. Hinges and rest of laptop will get a shiny black color to get some contrast to all that yellow.
    Just need to sand it down, paint, sand and then ill start with the pirate logo! :D

5. hellas91

hellas91 What's a Dremel?

Well,yellow is very nice :D

6. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

I like it, it is an appealing tint of yellow

7. HeZ

HeZ What's a Dremel?

A long time since the last update i know! :( Have had allot at work lately but will spend more time on this project from now on.

So, what has happened:

1. My paint skills sucked, allot of the paint (espessially around the corners) peeled off, so i had to sand everything down and redo it from the beginning. But i have read several painting guides etc so this time its ok! :D

2. Ordered som new parts, an VU-meter will be fitted in the front of the computer, more pics on that in a few days.. :)

Some pics:

[​IMG]
    Painting in the bathroom... To cold for the paint outside! :/

[​IMG]
    The logo, one is cut out and i will place that on the dried cover tomorrow and post pics so you can se the size of it on the laptop. :)

[​IMG]
    Made this as a stand out of two cd-r boxes, perfect angle for painting. :)

8. guysy1110

guysy1110 What's a Dremel?

lookin sweet. the yellow does look the best on the laptop. cant wait to see the progress

9. SlappKnutts

SlappKnutts What's a Dremel?

Love the yellow... I'm not so keen on the skull and crossbones, I would try something a little more... meaner looking...
    Other than that its seems like a fun little project, Keep it up!

10. HeZ

HeZ What's a Dremel?

Thnx for the positive replies! :)

SlappKnutts: I do se your point and it is noted, but i really dont want that pure heavy metall skull agressive look, and i dont want it to look to "childish" iether, i want something like "a agressive cartoon look" and this is the best i have found. I will look abit more but if i cant find anything else this motive goes on the cover sometime this week. :)

11. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

use the logo for Jnyx, IMO it would look awsome on the case ;)

12. HeZ

HeZ What's a Dremel?

Hmm, any links? Searched for jnyx on google but there was allot of diffrent logos/pictures.. :)

13. calib3r

calib3r What's a Dremel?

I think he means J!NX as in the clothing company "for gamers & geeks."

[​IMG]

14. HeZ

HeZ What's a Dremel?

Small update, ive sprayed the last yellow layer on yesturday... Have sanded abit and then used something called Autosol (rubbing stuff). Not 100% done yet, some more autosol and it should look oki. I´ll start the logo soon. Here are the results oy the yellow color:

[​IMG]
    This lamp reflected in the peice ive painted looks like:

[​IMG]
    This! :D

15. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

heh yea, thats what i meant, would look cool
    you got some orange peeling goin on there, you should consider getting some wet/dry sand paper and smoothing it then using polishing compound to get a perfect finish

16. HeZ

HeZ What's a Dremel?

Yeah, the orange peeling is a pain! :/ The stuff called "Autosol" is a kind of "polish/rubbing compound" but its really ment for bare metall surfaces. Atm the peel doesnt really show unless in direct lightning but ill try to get it abit better. I´m hoping that the result will be better after adding that last clear protecting layer to... + some wax etc...

I´m sorry but i didnt like that logo very much, so i´ll keep to my first choise atm. But i have still not figured out a smart way to apply it! :( I have tried to spray with just a paper as template on another surface but it bleeds through, same with standard yellow masking tejp. Any smart ideas anyone? How does the professinal painters do it? Any links to a good template painting guide?

ps. sorry about the bad english in this post, im still abit rusty on the language! :p

17. HeZ

HeZ What's a Dremel?

Used an ordinary a4 paper and printed the motive to it, cut out with about 5mm extra space for the white color of the skull. Placed some coins on the borders to keep it close to the laptoplid. First layer i did really thin and let dry for about an hour so to give the paper a protective layer so the thicker layers wouldnt bleed throug it. Worked really nice! :)

It´s still drying but tomorrow i will carefully sand it down with a 1200grit wet sandpaper and the use some autosol... Then its time for the black borders! :D

[​IMG]
    First layer really thin!

[​IMG]
    All done, about 4-5medium thin layers, enough to be polished without going throug to the base color. :)

[​IMG]
    Oh, and the nokia 3310 lcd is done, just need to be solderd to the laptops parallellport. :)

Last edited: 26 Feb 2007
  18. RasmusAnden

RasmusAnden What's a Dremel?

Good Job, HeZ... i think the idear of putting the LCD monitor from a mobilephone is great. i would have done the same to my laptop if it wasnt totally new ;P

19. hellas91

hellas91 What's a Dremel?

Can you send(pm plz)me the nokia 3310 cabling circuit?

ty bro :)

20. HeZ

HeZ What's a Dremel?

Have painted the black boarders now, same tactic as with the white colors. It did bleed throug abit but the rubbing compound will take care of most that + it will smoothen out the boarders so the dont look so sharp... :) More pics in a few days!

[​IMG]

Edit: Due to some storage problems i dont have the schematic for the 3310 lcd left exept for in my head. But just google for 3310 lcd schematic and you´ll find lots of diffrent ones to choose from! :)