1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project : Lupine **CPU Mad Reader Mod Dec. 05**

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tech-Daddy, 3 Jun 2005.

1. 2800@2.5ghz

2800@2.5ghz What's a Dremel?

cool power connector, just be careful you don't bent it back and forth too much as the paint may flake.
    other than that this mod is comming along nicely, that heatsink is MASSIVE bet the performance is good and the spiral stuff really sets off the wiring.

good work d00d

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Agree with above.
    Very nice work and very nice interior you got there. Keep this coming. I'll be waitin' right here. :D

3. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

Looks really good, but I would replace the northbridge cooling with a zalman, this little fan looks really noisy, and I heard it really is.

4. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

The one that they (asus) replaces with (I have an A8N-Deluxe that had the same HSF on the chipset, and it was so bad..) is a little bit larger, a slower rpm, and as such runs quieter than this one.

I'm thinking that I'll contact Asus and see if this HSF also has the noise issue, and if so, I'd like to replace the whole item prior to installation.
    :thumb:

Thanks for the warning and feedback guys!
    :clap:

edit: PS- Thanks guys! Well... I wonk this morning and went out to see how the acrylic had fared during drying last night, and was not happy at all....

Apparently my heating of the acrylic changed the physical properties a bit, and my special silver paint caused a really whacked out pattern of out-gassing. It honestly looked sick (like a bad rash or something) on the side that I was expecting to be glossy smooth...

So, Plan B. Keep the acrylic shape that I busted a hump on, but now make it an opaque, deep purple (if I can find that color) *orrrrr* I can shot the outside with the Metalcast primer then overlay is with the Purple MetalCast. *ding*... I like that last idea!

"Oh well..." what 'cha gonna do?
    ;)

Last edited: 24 Jul 2005
  5. kLLr

kLLr What's a Dremel?

Wow that is 1 hell of an etch. Very nice work on that, infact, very nice work on all of the case. Loving the color :rock:

Keep doing what you do best :thumb: :clap:

6. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Still looking beautiful, tech...

7. Tech-Daddy

Too tired tonight to post up all of the pics... so I'll give you a teaser pic of the end result achieved!!!

I'm about 90% done with the power supply:
    [​IMG]

More tomorrow!

Last edited: 30 Aug 2008
  8. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Teeeechhhh! Get more pics up here! That is an awful teaser, because I don't think you sent that away to get chromed!

9. Tech-Daddy

Hehehee... I'll get the pics cropped and compressed tonight.
    And "no.." I did not send it away for chroming!

I used a reflective sign quality vinyl, and cut it to fit! I have a bit more that I may do to it to get the surface "just" where I want it.

The neat thing about this stuff, is since this is vinyl applied to metal, I can yank it off and reapply it if I'm not happy with the end result!

I have an appearance gripe with how the rear looks, and I'll likely pull it off and redeux it later, when I have more time. Right now, I'm in the final push for 2 competitions that I plan on entering.
    :)

10. Tech-Daddy

Told ya I'd be back... ;)

I have to move on, so the power supply will just have to do for now. I have a plan on making this chrome effect much better in the future, but deadlines are deadlines!

For lack of a better word, vinyl chrome! ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The powersupply pulled apart before getting attacked:
    [​IMG]

The top with the vinyl treatment:
    [​IMG]

Showing off the reflectivity with 2 fan grills that I hit with the purple Metalcast:
    [​IMG]

Close up of the vents on the supply. Those hex holes are going to be the death of me! ;)
    [​IMG]

I did these side holes (that will not be visable from the window) just to see if I could find a mechanism to make the hex mesh chromed, and I found a way... but it is VERY time intensive. It involved poking an X with an exacto knife in each hex center through the vinyl. Then, using a hex wrench that was sized to perfectly pass through the mesh hole... I put it on top and pushed it through the X spot. The vinyl then went through the hole with the wrench, and left a little tail of material that was to be trimmed off later. My main concern where the large vented area was, is the close proximity of current bearing devices (read: electrical components) and I just did not want to risk accidentally having the vinyl touching something and shorting out... this is a silver vinyl after all, I'm sure there is some sort of metal in it.... so I have a plan on the large meshed area, but I need more time to complete that task, so that is one of the fixes that will have to eait for later....
    [​IMG]

Fan grills in place, PS *effectively* completed. I say effectively, because I know what I need to do to fix the errors that I made on applying this material, but I'll have to reapply the vinyl at a later date to resolve those things.

Now, I need to go and install the supply and start working on the remaining cable management, and LED placement. Drop in the board, and get this thing installed!
    [​IMG]

11. Sva4g3&*

Sva4g3&* What's a Dremel?

Ooooh! That is real nice, where did you grab that vinyl chrome from? I like this and cant wait to see it complete.

-Rob

12. Tech-Daddy

In my instance, it was a FastSigns... but you could likely get it from any sign shop!

13. Tech-Daddy

Test fit, not final by any stretch, but the exercise lets me see how everything is working now. Found 2 issues that I need to affect changes to, in order to complete the case later.

But these will give you an idea of where I am going, and how the collection of parts works together!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have some work to do back here, and not a whole lotta space to work with. Have an idea though. and will try that tomorrow while the last paint will be drying.
    [​IMG]

14. theCrusifix

theCrusifix What's a Dremel?

what paint did you use?? name and brand if possible...that looks GREAT i want that look on a few parts i'm working on now, but with different colors

15. Tech-Daddy

The same effect can be had by 2 different vendors: Duplicolor "MetalCast" and Krylon "X-Metals" styles of paint. That is what I have used here.
    Glad you like it!
    ;)

16. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

17. (PTK)

(PTK) What's a Dremel?

Let me just say that that color scheme is bananas. I love purple and black for computers and that looks fantastic. Keep up the good work. I wish I was your wife. (That's wierd, nevermind.)

18. 2800@2.5ghz

2800@2.5ghz What's a Dremel?

HOLY ********, thats one sweet interior.....only thing that could make it better is some nice watercooling.....mmmmmmm....water wetter

19. ginx

ginx What's a Dremel?

What was your method of painting using the MetalCast? I've tried that paint before and couldn't paint for sh!t with it.

20. Tech-Daddy

Hehehe... water cooling ain't happening just yet! ;)

As for the painting method, I practiced on some scrap alu pieces that I bought from the local hardware store.

about 10 inches above the surface, and smooth and steady strokes, on a hyper clean surface.

That is about all I can offer in the way of advice, hope that helps! :)