1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Metaversa: LCD goodness (small update 17/07/05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nexxo, 11 Apr 2003.

1. Penguin4x4

Penguin4x4 What's a Dremel?

Phew! Had me worried there, :hehe: :hehe:

2. Madyeti

Madyeti Supermodder & sig shrinking victim

Yay for the Leatherman Wave! Mine is sitting next to my computer right now. I luv it!!!!1

Great job so far! I love watching the progress on this!

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Maybe we should start the Leatherman Wave Appreciation Society... :D Used it again today: fixing curtain rods that had fallen down (wife: "Do you have a screwdriver?" me: "This is me, remember?").

I dunno, perhaps you could install one as pencil holder. :D Originally I was going to use a fuel filler cap from one of those modern Japanese motorcycles, but in the end, I just HAD to have that Aquatube... I just found a way to adapt and use it. But you could, for instance, use it as an indicator window, say, and put a LED or LCD (or Nixie Tube!) thermometer readout inside the tube, behind its glass lid, and mount it horizontally in the front of the case... Example below (something I knocked up from photos, in MS Paint):

[​IMG]

(If you want to see some interesting LED temp gauges, visit Dakota Digital)

OK, back to work now, and better have something to show you on my next post! :)

Last edited: 27 Apr 2003
  4. mashie

mashie The one and only

I must say your case looks very nice so far. Will be interesting to see how you will keep up the good quality when adding all tubes :)

Good luck

5. Nexxo

D'oh!

And then I come accross this:

[​IMG]

A Floppy and 6 multimedia card reader in one... Will this change my plans a bit? We'll see... :D

You can get one in the US :here:, and in the UK :here: --albeit in beige...

6. anion

anion What's a Dremel?

bump !

where is nexxo ? me waiting for updates.....ehehehehe:D

7. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

That one just made my day :D

What connectors does it use ?

One to the floppy thingy and then what connection is it ? for the 6 card readers ?

8. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I think it is USB all the way...

USB 1.1 though :grr:

9. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I looked at a rear pic, and it's a standard floppy connection and a USB type-B for the card reader. All the device actually is is a slimline floppy drive and a 6in1 card reader mounted on top of each other with a single bezel. Not saying it's not immensely cool, just thought it was worth a mention :)

10. PillPu$her

PillPu$her What's a Dremel?

Wow, nice work! Where did you find two of Paul Vodrazka's custom water blocks?

11. Nexxo

I ordered them straight from him. I think he's stopped making them now, and I have not been able to contact him lately (pity; he wanted to develop a GPU and NB block, but I guess he's been rather busy).

Meanwhile, updates have been slow, but that is because I had to order some more stuff and work out more details. I want to do something more creative with the bays... But I have finished the pump/rad assembly mounting.

the tubing has arrived, as has the GPU block (I went with Danger Den in the end). I am currently hassling/begging a company for a compact flowswitch with 3/8" thread connections and very low pressure drop, but although it only costs £8,--, they only accept orders of about 50 or more :( . Still, I hope to be able to negotiate something. Thanks to Dutchcedar I have a 5mm Red/Blue dual LED; the idea is that it lights blue on power on, but changes to red if the pump/flow fails.

I have got the 5" LCD colour screen, courtesy of Scopedog (he had one for sale cheap). I have ordered from Slater Plastics a piece of 2mm thick acrylic to protect the screen, with the same irridescent anti-glare covering they use on camera lenses. Should look very trick.

Scopedog is also selling me 1 Gig of RAM cheap, and a pair of old Athlon 1800MPs (gotta love that guy :D). The MPs will be for testing and setup, mainly, as I aim to insert 2800MPs in the end.

So the project is slowly coming along.

Anyone out there wouldn't be able to tell me the exact size of a Radeon 9800Pro 256mb, would they?

12. Nexxo

I know, I know. "Where have you been?!" It's been a while...

I have fitted the Zalman NB sink, started fitting the tubing, and ordered an Antec TrueControl PSU. More power, baby! :D

Flow switch should be on its way also. Pics soon. Honest....

13. beta124

beta124 What's a Dremel?

Just a thought - me and my friend were prepping his case for watercooling today and the first thing we did was change out his power connectors/cables to a single 12V/G/G/5V rail. It took us a bit of time with soldering and attaching wires, and we used a blue and white/clear speaker wire. Once completed it looked really good. Soon I will have that case posted on my site and an image or two showing you how it looks. Good luck finishing up the case m8.

14. Dredog

Dredog What's a Dremel?

Don't know if this was already mentioned, but do those rubber grommets really make a difference. I think you will be pretty hard pressed to notice any difference if they are used while mounting your fans or not.

Anyhoo, looks great and keep up the good work!!!:rock:

Last edited: 30 May 2003
  15. Nexxo

Probably not much, but the Thermaltake smart fans I use are not the most balanced in the world, and will vibrate a bit. Every little bit helps, I suppose...

By the way, here's a pic of the flow switch:

[​IMG]

16. Altron

Altron Minimodder

How much was the pump?

17. Nexxo

£130,-- ($179,-- for US people) :eeek:

There's a thread that discusses it in more detail :here:...

18. Nexxo

OK, update pics here: :D

Mounting rails done... Note the rubber feet which will support the rad. Necessary because when filled with water, this will weigh 860 grammes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tube connection... (have to adjust the pump a bit... good thing I designed the mount it in a way that allows adjustment over 6 axes!) Those are marine grade stainless steel clips, designed for hostile environments. Quake players amongst you know what I mean... :p.

[​IMG]

Fit the Zalman NB sink...

[​IMG]

And test fitted the flow switch (registers flow/no flow)...

[​IMG]

...on the res:

[​IMG]

And for PSU: feel the bower, baby! :D

[​IMG]

For those of you who are thinking od a Truecontrol: the bezel comes as standard in metallic colour.

[​IMG]

But I am going to install these controls somewhere/someway else. Where/how, you'll have to see... :naughty:

Still coming: a 2mm acrylic plate to cover/protect the LCD screen, with a nice antireflective coating (like the one you find on camera lenses). Takes 3 weeks... :(

Meanwhile, now I've got all the stuff for the coolant loop, I'm going to mount that. I have some interesting touches in mind; you'll see. Also, all the PSU wires need braid sleeving...

Stuff to do, stuff to do... :dremel:

Last edited: 27 Jan 2004
  19. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Someone has too much money to spend on case mods... you're not married, right?

20. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Once again, another excellent set of pics mate. Can't wait to see it all come together at the end.