Project: Military Artifact (my 1st mod)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mayo, 8 Sep 2004.

1. Mayo

Mayo What's a Dremel?

here i am with my first mod!
    Do not expect to see some of the wonderfull pics i have seen here but i hope you will like it :D
    First of all a couple of words about my intentions... after having done some compring on my pc and on some of my friends' ones, see photo of my actual pc:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i have decided to try to do a case by myself... and to put if on my desk and not under... :) The idea is about a military artifact ... coloured with desertic 6 colours mimetic scheme, same used by us forces during first gulf-war... but looking then more futuristic... as you can see in games as Halo or Doom3.

In any case i have not a lot of accessories to work with:
    [​IMG]
    so i will ask help to a friends to cut iron parts with laser: i will prepare the drawn and he will cut them. He has not alluminium so i can't use that materials... doesn't matter too much: i have not to move the case!
    Final weight of it 8-9 kg
    This is one of the first drawn we did 10 days ago...
    [​IMG]
    and the result of main structure is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Having some plexi at home i will also drawn sides on it before to ask to cut them on iron... to be "more" sure about the measurement i did...
    [​IMG]
    I am working on cd+hd+floppy bays...
    I know also that asking help to cut iron is easier, but i really can't do it at home... my wife could kill me... even if i have in any case a lot of work to do...
    Here a couple of more pics af my monday's work during lunch time:
    [​IMG]
    this is... emh do not know the english name.. sorry, but i will have 2 of them, one for the funs and the other for cpu hd gpu ecc. As you may be can notice here there is no more atx big molex attack for the motherboard...
    [​IMG]
    and here the bays... parts of them...
    Soon more photos...
    Emh, i hope you can understand my bad english mates...

Last edited: 16 Mar 2005
  2. crash32953295@msn.

crash32953295@msn. What's a Dremel?

Wow loving the concept of this mod and that new case looks kool, any more details you can give away on like hardware and stuff your using for it, or you got any concept art for the mod?

3. Mayo

Mayo What's a Dremel?

What do you mean with "you got any concept art for the mod" :confused:
    May be are you asking "form" where i got the idea?
    Well it's just an idea i got... may be there are tons of cases in mimetic colours... but i decided to do it since i play in an italian Clan at some war games as first of all Ghost Recon (with the italian =3dS= Clan) so... i wanted a PC loking modded and "similar" to the kind of games i paly with my friends here on-line... This is the origin of the idea... a "war modern case", a futuristic sort of a new kind of bomb or whatever else... :D

About hardware and stuff i am using: I have only, as in the pic, a Dremel, an elettric saw, the Aec thing "to make holes" (don't remember the english name :duh: ), a cutter and other normal stuff... spray paint, spray primer paint, spray matt and sharp transparent paint, paper adesive and so on... bicomponet glue for metal 1:35 soldiers, plastic glue... nothing special.. :waah: this is the reason i decided to cut iron (do not know if iron is the right word... have to check on the dictionary at home.. here i am at work!!) with the laser machine... :)

4. cpu121

cpu121 What's a Dremel?

What he means is do you have any drawings etc of what the final thing should roughly look like. Also when he said hardware, I think he was talking about what computer hardware you were going to put in it? :confused:

5. nicke

nicke What's a Dremel?

[​IMG] uhh that looks sweet :thumb:

6. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

I agree!! That's an awesome design right there. Can't wait to see the finished project

7. hilmana

hilmana What's a Dremel?

i dont really like the colours
    but obviously i cant really judg from now when the mod barly even started

8. apHytHiaTe

apHytHiaTe What's a Dremel?

This is gonna be sweet! I do like the colors, i think they'll go together well (or at least be interesting). Also, your other case looks pretty darned good!
    :clap::naughty::clap::naughty:

9. Mayo

Mayo What's a Dremel?

:duh: i did a mistake... it is not irn it is made all with steel !!! :hehe: and...

thanks for your comments!! I really appreciate them...

About the 6colours desertic scheme... I will try it (i think so.....) and if it do not look good enoght.. i will repaint with another mimetic scheme :)

Since I am not good in drawing it is really better i do not show you what the final thing could be or noone else will come to read this post! I have some pencil drawn but they looks very very similar to the one made with the cad programm... soon i will have the ones for the sides!!

Cpu21 thanks for help in translation!!

... about hardware... :waah: since I have not too much money to spend here and since i think i will spend $250 for the project I am going to put in this new case the hardware you see in first photo:
    AMD 3200+, Sapphire 9800pro (waiting the X800XT i ordered), 2x512 Corsair pro PC3200 2,2,2,5/11, SB Audigy2 SZ, MB Epox 8rda3+ rev.2.0, 2HD Maxtor udma133, DVD +/- R LG DL .... not hte maximum for a new pc... but I hope i will be able to fit new hardware in future...

now, waiting the ones i am upping online, here a new pic from the structure of the case with the intermedium plexi base where i am going to put the motherboard...
    [​IMG]

later more photos! :D

10. crash32953295@msn.

hehe am i bad :wallbash: sorry u didnt understand but all in all i love the structure your creating looks awsome :rock:

11. Mayo

Mayo What's a Dremel?

TY!!!

opss I forgot to tell you how big it is!!!! :wallbash:

So, front will be 40 cm., 35 for sides and 30 cm high ... the structure will give me the possibility to add "one floor" in future in the tall part or in the low part, simply re-building the 4 corner steel vertical things/pieces, so in 10/12 cm i will be able to add, for example, liquid cooling... but for this year i will still use my Slk800 for air cooling...

in 5 hours new photos (waiting lunch time to do them!!) :)

12. Mayo

Mayo What's a Dremel?

and now some new photos about cd/hd/floppy supports (red and white) and one of the 2 power supply (yellow and black) the one used for the fans and similar things, and old one of 150W. (main power supply will be coloured later, near the end of project). this one as no more the big atx attack for the mobo and will be switched on from its back...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I think they look quite nice... what do you think?

Pic about MB plexi support during preparation/work
    [​IMG]
    and this is a piece i will need for the back of my case...
    [​IMG]
    cu later...

13. crash32953295@msn.

like the look of the psu (power unit) but i dont like the yellow and red bit glary (contrasting) for my liking, but love that psu dude :rock:

14. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

nice idea! i can't wait to see how it turns out, im following this one. :dremel:

15. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Hey, welcome to another Italian modder!!!! :rock: :rock:

The project is very interesting... Waiting to see the final result..

<start italian mode>Di dove sei?</end italian mode>

16. Mayo

Mayo What's a Dremel?

It is my doubt too... may be red and white are too strong/different from black and yellow colours... but i wanted to do something different for power supply hardware and support things like the ones in red/white...

i also have another question.... starting from the colours you see (we could change them...) which colour could be okey for the inside af the case, i am speking about the parts laser cutted... the steel ones... no-colour (steel look), white... what else?? :confused: (remember outside will be mimetic/desert i think...)

@ Papeniglio: di Biella (BI) :rock:

17. crash32953295@msn.

you could have army green for the outside or sand color or even maybe give it some rust around some of the edges, could also be a nice effect to keep it silver with bit of ust, what are you planning on using for the outside?

18. Mayo

Mayo What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

this is a really bad image about the kind of mimetic i would like to use: american 1° gulf war desert mimetic (6 colours) or a darker green, light green, brown ecc forest mimetic (i have still to find a nice one) (but no new marpat mimetic: too dificult for me to drawn with aerograph...)

Since external probably will be mimetic (i will decide with some rust or no at the end)... internal body? :confused: ...keep in mind there will be light/neons inside the case... (for "futuristic aspect)

PS: i will try to find a better image!
    more pics:
    6 colours desert
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 colours desert
    [​IMG]

more in the link: can't take images from here... :sigh:
    http://www.armee-center.de/catalog/colors.php

19. KillaH

KillaH What's a Dremel?

20. Piddu

Piddu What's a Dremel?

benvenuto nel forum magari sei stato a ngi lan ?

for the others not italian

welcome to the forum, have u been at ngilan recently?