1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Predatory Instinct- Complete, pending final photos 6/2/13

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by SuicideNeil, 27 Nov 2012.

1. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

D-Day:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Remember what I said about needing to assemble this in a certain ( unknown ) order, in order to make everything fit? Yeah, took a lot of head scratching, cursing & a couple attempts to tame Electronic Lord Cthulhu before I figured that I had to install the PSU before the PSU-wire cover plate. With that fitted & sleeved extensions ( turns out I didn't have any sleeved sata power cables, so just using the lead on the Seasonic PSU ) routed down through the notch, I started tearing into my current rig to pull out the HDD & ODD, along with the mobo speaker. Next up I checked over the socket on the new mobo to look for bent pins with a magnifying glass ( none found ), then installed the lovely new ram, CPU & mounted the venerable old Titan Fenrir ( which does an even better job in it's new home.. ) using the new retention bracket thingy. The only odd thing there was that I didn't ( couldn't ) need to use a back plate for the CPU cooler, it simply held in place from the rear with screws and washers- very solid and no mobo flex so I'm happy enough with that setup ( forgot to take pictures of those steps unfortunately ).

Next up I had to wrestle the mobo into the case, whilst trying not to get hooked up on the various front & top panel connections sticking up through the sort-of bottom plate ( like trying to fit an ATX mobo into an mini-ITX chassis... ). I got that done and started connecting up the various leads, only to find I needed one more usb 2.0 header than the mobo had available, but I do have a usb 3.0 header to put to use so more on that later. As luck would have it, or not, I didn't need to use any of the cable routing P-clips since the leads seem to have organized themselves almost perfectly thanks to the very short runs they make from A to B; I'll be selling the P-clips and loads more stuff from the old rig i the next few days so keep an eye out in the Sales section.

Anyway, with everything connected & double checked, I plugged in all the external leads, turned on the PSU & hit the power button; she lives! I entered the UEFI Bios and had a quick poke to set up the boot options & what-not, then exited to see if she would start up normally. Alas, my fears were borne out as she kept blue screening as soon as the windows logo / animation began. So, fresh install of Windows 7 Pro x64 and several hours of updates & downloading programs and I'm back up and running with my shiny new machine.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've tested out the 670FTW graphics card by playing several sessions of Hawken with all settings turned up to Ultimate & set for 1920x1080, max temps are around ~75°C with the fan not going over 40% ( barely a quite hum ), not too shabby really. Frame rates are kinda hard to track as it's a live-view chart in the EVGA Precision-X software, though generally looks to be anything from ~40fps upto 110fps+ depending on how much action there is on screen. I'm not a bench marker really so I'm more than happy with the image quality & frame rates I'm getting, well worth the cost. Windows performance index reports scores from 7.5 to 7.8 for everything apart from the HDD ( 5.9 ), so that's great too :D

She isn't done quite yet though- still waiting on something special for the interior lighting ( which will be visible, despite the lack of case windows ), a few cables, and the side panel + front panel need to be repainted ( again, groan ) as they have magically picked up some nasty dirty marks from no-where whilst being carefully stored :eyebrow:

Once those 3 things are sorted I will take some final pics and post up a complete parts list break down for those interested.

2. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Penultimate update:

Project is now complete, pending final photos. The last thing to do was install the lighting after respraying the 2 panels yet again. I ordered a couple 'Angel eyes' LED rings from ebay designed to mount to car head lights to act as daytime running lights ( like Audi models often have these days ). Of course, it just turns out that they run from 12v DC and come in a range of sizes from ~60mm upto 180mm+ I believe, so I grabbed a couple 120mm items ( 2 only cost a few pence more than 1, go figure ). I also grabbed a single channel fan controller to adjust the brightness, then went to town with Mr Soldering iron...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I think it turned out rather well really :)