1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Pyramid

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Gup, 3 Sep 2007.

1. widmod

widmod Minimodder

the mechanics are looking good now
    i love this mothership project:rock:

2. ZeroHerO

ZeroHerO What's a Dremel?

Really nice project, looking forward to future updates.
    ZeroHerO

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The new mechanism is a huge improvement.

4. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

bad luck

Tnx @ All.....
    I have a slight setback :sigh:..........Have had a motorcycle accident (a few broken ribs) and wont be able to work on it for a few weeks (ribs hurt like hell). Wondering if i can make it for my own set deadline of x-mas.

5. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Take your time, heal up better & stronger than before :thumb:

6. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

ouch........I know how it hurts....I've been in a couple off motorcycle accidents with broken ribs too in the past.
    Take it easy and take care of your breathing ......... I end up with a bad Pneumonia after my first accident because of wrong breathing (short breathing because of the pain)..............

Alan

7. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

Yow,

They warned me for the breathing and risk getting pneumonia if i don t breath properly, so i am still on painkillers to do a proper breathing and excersises in breathing.

8. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

and it's true ............. and the painkillers and even more the breathing excersises are great to prevent the problem .........

just take it easy for a while ...........:thumb:

Alan

9. tbmarcom

tbmarcom What's a Dremel?

may the force be with you.

my young padawan

obi wan pete

10. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

Hello,

It's about time i did an update. Recovery of the broken ribs went well. Still some pain left but they told me that is normal.
    Downside of it all is that my bike is Total Loss. Lucky i had it premium insured so part of the money i got back.
    Back to the modding.!.
    Christmas has been good to me ....:clap:........Santa gave me a new dremel!!.jeez how he knew that i needed one....:confused::confused::dremel:

I did some minor tweaks on the mechanics to get it smooth running, also the attach part is finished for the plexi part of the pyramid. I used some alu-strips which has cogs so they will grip. This way i can slight the plexi part at a fixed position and dont have to use some bolts to attach the plexi to the alu-frame.
    Also did some work on the interior. As i needed more USB connection then the 2 provided on board, i ripped the extension cable USB-slot from my old pc and made a coverplate for it. Also the coverplate has the powersupply lines for a part of the system. The coverplate was finished with some self adhesive plastic foil.
    Furthermore been thinking about better cable-management as the space for it is very small.
    Additionally been thinking about light. The idea is to have lights comming from underneath the pyramid. I found some special "warm light" leds. As their size is 5 mm they fit perfectly in the holes of the bottomplate.

See pics for details.
    Thats it for now!

Attach for the plexi.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

USB-extension
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cable management
    [​IMG]

Warm Light LED's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

Update on exterior design

A short update on the design. We decided to replace the foam with wood. As wood is much better to handle and doesn't deform like the foam. As my father is a carpenter he has the machines to make the sawing a bit better then done by hand. After a days work we finally had all sawed. It already looks pretty good to me. The wood will be covered with multilayer styreen plates (thin ones) used in modelling, see pics for design idea's. I had to order some special tools (nibbler and a cutter) as they are not readily available in EU. Dispatch of the order was pretty fast from US, only shipping will take atleast 4 weeks.........:jawdrop::jawdrop:

Also i have a pic of the idea of lights inside the pyramid. Let me know what you think.....:D

Here they are :

Exterior wood :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New design idea's for extern :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Light idea's for interior :
    [​IMG]

12. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Now, that's much better! Hehe, I even like it as it is now.. kind of neat with that wood and the plexi beneath! =) But I'm still very much looking forward to seeing you detailing it, it's gonna look great! 8)¨

I like the lighting idea, but I think the hieroglyphs should be smaller. The pyramid is supposed look like it's really big, right? Large hieroglyphs might make the pyramid look smaller, unless you have some other details that set the scale.. like really small stairs and/or some tiny Jaffa warrior characters standing arround.
    Also, if you are going to have them running vertically (which you should, imho), then then the hieroglyphs them selves should be turned 90° cw so they are the right side up.. but I'm sure you have already thought about all this, that this is just a test, and I'm waisting bandwidth as usual. <=)

Looking great! Keep up the great work!

13. luis_pedro_Sato

luis_pedro_Sato Minimodder

Looks very promising

14. widmod

widmod Minimodder

that going to be a great Hatak :jawdrop:
    [Goa'uld voice] very nice indeed [/Goa'uld voice]

15. TapperSwe

TapperSwe What's a Dremel?

Very nice build,the wood looks so much beter and the mechanic door/side is a very cool idea :thumb:

16. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Wow just wow great job so far mate :)

17. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

Tnx All.....!!...for comments..:D

@taperswe : nice project u have going..:D

True ....still experimenting with the glyphs.......all depends on the distance you look at it. Also i noticed that single line glyphs gives a much better contrast then using "3D" style (like in PS).

hehe ....i didn't noticed it..:D......you are right vertically is the way to go...

18. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

exterior update

Update on the design :

As i mentioned before we had some nice ideas about the light. To achive this i had to carve out the wood.
    Unfortunally the pieces broke several times as the used wood isn't that hard. I ended up in using a character saw, babel fish translation..:).
    ALso the pieces on the moving plate are finally attached. To get them attached without to much space i glued them on the perspex plate. Using screws is a nogo as its almost impossible to get them placed with a 0.1 mm accuracy.
    Finally some pics of the planned "Skin". This is just a test "skin", but you can get an idea what is meant with the light idea.
    As bonus i added a small vid of the mechanics in action with the attached wooden pieces.....enjoy!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SkinDesign :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Small vid :

Moving!!

Any comments welcome!!!.....:D:D

19. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Sweet movie!! I don't have anything that needs to move, but when I do I'm coming to you!
    John

20. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

that is some really fluid motion of the side panel from what i can see from the video. awesome!!