Scratch Build – In Progress Project: SFX (water-cooled Z68 ITX SFF)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Combatus, 11 Apr 2012.

1. Timmynator

Timmynator What's a Dremel?

I'll be following this.

Small builds are just fascinating.

2. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

A new update! Finally finished the bending - double bend was not easy but I seem to have pulled it off quite well :worried: Just need to add the curves and cut it down to size once I've done a test fit with the hardware.

[​IMG]

Decided to use a donor case for the switched and motherboard tray. Thankfully this old Akasa Enigma was laying around gathering dust, and the switches were in perfect chromy condition. I'll be having me some of those lights too!

[​IMG]

The rest is test-fitting the cooling gear and hardware after cutting out the I/O and PSU slots - some tidying up to do there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want plenty of slack on the rad so it's easy to remove in case I need to get at the hardware, so it's attached to the two side routes of tubing that will make up the windowed sections in the sides as per the last render

[​IMG]

The thing that's giving me the most grief is the graphics card. As it's not a reference PCB, there's no full cover block for it and the GPU block is pointing the tubing a little too close to the sides. I'll be making the roof this week so we'll see if it fits!

You can see more here and I'll be posting this and more in the log soon. Sadly my attempt at bending a large aluminium sheet to shape to fit the roof hasn't gone according to plan so I'm going to be using clear acrylic with either spray paint or brushed metal film. This should, though, allow me to make the windows much more easily. Watch this space!

3. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Things are comming along realy well, interesting article/log for shure.
    To bad to hear about your aluminium bending problems. I'm not shure what problems you encountered but I made a similar shape like your lid back in the days. I got the rounded corners by bending around a broomstick, don't know if it will help you now but here's how I did it.

Keep it up.

4. Combatus

I think the trouble I had was that the curve is very long but the sheet is very wide and getting the precise angle was just impossible without gaps. I'll see if I can post some images, but the sheet is pretty ruined now so I've decided to go with acrylic instead :duh:

5. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

This is awesome, Antony! Looking forward to seeing where you go with it.

Subbed!

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I don't remember it being that gigantic in the render.:D

7. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

I'd asvise using smaller diameter tubing mate , is it 1/2" ID your using there ? i used 1/2" id in my cosmos S and i regret it :(

8. Combatus

I had to raise the height a little to accommodate some internal layout changes :( but it's still only around 35cm wide, just under 20cm tall and less than 30cm deep - smaller than a SilverStone SG04. Don't forget the PSU is SFX - a full size one would take up half the case! If I'd used a single 120mm rad instead of the 180mm here and got rid of the side tubing features it would be a lot smaller, but less sexy...

It is 1/2in - unfortunately all my fittings are 1/2in that I've transplanted from another build and I didn't want to spend even more downsizing to 3/8. Would have cost upwards of £50 at least. It has been a tight squeeze in places admittedly but it's worked!

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Looking good, for aluminium you could still have it, just use 0.5mm or even 0.3mm it will bend really easy & it is really nice & cheap, could be used as an extra layer over your choice of material that gives some strength while having the intended look. :rock:

10. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Its looking good so far :thumb:, with 1mm aluminium I find that clamping the sheet to a table for tight angles or clamping it to a tube of the correct size and hitting the sheet with a rubber mallet works pretty well, so long as you make sure you only do many gentle hits and not just a few big hits.

11. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Nice job on bending the acrylic. That's something I truly hate doing myself. I'm anxious to see how you manage all the tubing once actually in the case.

12. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Nice build Antony! What block are you using for those VRMs? Wait, Or is it chipset?

I would never even try to bend big piece of acrylic like that, but you did it with no problem, nice job man!

For those grill holes - I would drill big holes and then work it out with small thin files. Unless you have a hand saw, like fret saw, with those hairline bits.
    I worked with some small holes in my last build, it takes a lot fo time but you have a total control over those files and you can slowly finish all edges perfectly. Result is very rewarding, if you know what I mean:)

Last edited: 25 Apr 2012
  13. Combatus

Thanks for the advice guys. I shall certainly give all those things a go and see if I can resurrect the alu sheet, but I think I've borked it unfortunately and don't want to waste another £20 on another:D

Ha ha! Yep I have indeed - I'll be posting photos of the custom waterblock soon - just haven't had time to yet. I used a sheet of 0.9mm copper, cut to size to fit over the VRMs and chipset, with thermal pads and a modified EK VRM block on the top using Phobya thermal adhesive. Haven't tested it yet, and not sure how effective it will be, but the case is so small that I knew I had to watercool them as the passive stock heatsink got extremely hot!!!

PS have you seen Asus' P8Z77-I Deluxe Mike? :eeek::eeek::eeek::eeek: WANT!

14. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Sweet - first I thought it was for VRMs only, then I noticed chipset position, but now you're saying you covered both?! :eeek: Is that thernal adhesive going to be enough to hold this block? You must show more macro shots of that beauty!

Yes, I saw Asus Z77... Looks like a mITX dream comes true:D

15. Combatus

All shall be revealed :D

In the mean time, I've created a SketchUp video of SFX next to a TJ07 and Lian Li 351 to get an idea of scale. Not the smallest, but it's pretty small!

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice & small, will fit in excellent on an entertainment unit. :)

17. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

nice build dude :) Keep up the work !

18. Combatus

Just added more detail to the latest front page update to SFX - check it out here I'll be updating the log with even more info soon! :D

19. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I'm well impressed you've got all that lot in. I honestly looked at it and thought, nope that lot ain't going in.
    Looking good so far, I like the design.

20. Combatus

Ha ha! Well it's actually a bit bigger than I'd like, but at least it means it's easy to work with and won't cook itself. Will be housing a 4.7GHz 2500K and overclocked GTX 560 ti afterall!