1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [Project Slenderbox] [Quiet and small but powerful HomePC] Updated 07-08-13

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by iSw3de, 21 Dec 2012.

1. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

where are you living? Alaska? when water can freeze at yer ambient that's NOT considered normal room temp :hehe: :lol: jk, jk..
    as i said, 31 idle, low settings on jc2, gets almost to 48. with the standard evga factory overclock. and this is with the fan on full blast and a 120 mm fan(on molex - full blast) shoving even more air down its throat, down a funnel so theres nowhere else for it to go. i haven't seen it, i OWN it. i "see" the same every frigging day. first chance i get ima watercool this beast. and the other 560 ill soon be getting. i would get something else but im not gonna buy two cards that aren't on sale compare to one that was, which i own, and another on-sale one. i gotta play it cheap cause my budget is rather emaciated ATM. course i also have an amd fx CPU to contend with.

over-done rant now over. it just irritates me for somereason..

edit: 52-53 when it starts to heat up in-game

Last edited: 24 Dec 2012
  2. iSw3de

iSw3de What's a Dremel?

Update 25-12 Christmas day :D

Hope you all had a nice Christmas eve!

A bunch of things just arrived!

The CPU, which i will hopefully be able to clock to somewhere about 4.7GHz :D

[​IMG]

The 2500k would be better for clocking, but since it costs more and this is newer architecture i think this was a good choice. Aswell it will only be in a HomePC, so a clock isn't necessary!

[​IMG]

My helping-hand-tool arrived, a great tool that helps me to hold everything steady while soldering! Only cost's about 6$ aswell!

[​IMG]

What do you think about this SSD? :rock:

[​IMG]

This photos where just taken in my home made studio with daylight, but for christmas gift i was given a whole bunch of softbox and lights, i want to try them now!

[​IMG]

Cya guys! Rock on!

3. elAwesome

elAwesome What's a Dremel?

Great SSD, I have two of them :)

But 4.7Ghz in a small HTPC? Next to a heating system (a.k.a. GTX 470)? And for what do you need 4.7Ghz in a HTPC??
    Well, have fun ;)

4. iSw3de

iSw3de What's a Dremel?

I want to have something fun to do after I'm done ;)
    I wont probably run it at 4.7 later, but i just want to see how high I can push it :)

5. iSw3de

iSw3de What's a Dremel?

Happy Mega Soon New Year Update 30/12

Hello bit-tech readers! Soon it's 2013, so prepair for the last update this year!

Another nice thing that you requested is now done! The following pictures will be uploaded with the right resolution!

Im very pleased with how the sleeve pictures turned out!

However, it looks like Santa was a bit late this year, since i now see two more gifts under the tree?!? :confused:

[​IMG]

I take the kitchen knife and I'm in a hurry when I'm opening the first package!

[​IMG]

Wait a second?! Isn't this the harddrive from the wishlist i gave to Seagate? :jawdrop:

[​IMG]

No, this aint the 2TB Barracuda disk, this is even bigger, and even faster?! :O
    Seagate must have thought Iv'e been a nice kid this year :rock:

[​IMG]

A huge thank you to my friends over at

[​IMG]

that are sponsoring me with this great harddrive!

[​IMG]

Hopefully there will be some benchmarks later on!

Last edited: 1 Jan 2013
    siliconfanatic likes this.
  6. iSw3de

iSw3de What's a Dremel?

The second gift was from my grandma, thank you :clap:

Im so thankful for those tools and things in this package, she really nailed it!

Of course I'ts MDPC-X Quality, no compromise!
    (Nils over at MDPC was so kind to write "Slendermod Edition" on the atx tool :D)

[​IMG]

This is one picture that i think came out great, what do you think?

[​IMG]

Here are some sneakpeaks of Shade19 that will be used in Slenderbox!
    This color is great, darker then gray, lighter then black!

[​IMG]

Here it is in a combo with some black sleeve

[​IMG]

Here are the criptool, it's just great and does it's job like a charm!
    I just tested it with some left over cables. :)

[​IMG]

I did put some carbon fiber vinyl on the rearside of the fans, what do you think? good or bad?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was everything for this one guys, see you in 2013, and watch out so you don't burn your modding hands! :rock:

// Lucas aka iSw3de

7. Bitwacker

Bitwacker C# forever

So clean, so small. Cannot wait to see the final product... Cheers!

8. iSw3de

iSw3de What's a Dremel?

Small text update!

Yesterday i received the fittings from Bitspower, I will unbox them today and hopefully I will be able to get some shots with them. They look stunning!

I was to order the PSU today, but since we have some problems at home my father wasen't able to do that. Hopefully tomorrow!

Peace :rock:

Lucas

9. iSw3de

iSw3de What's a Dremel?

Update 16 January 2013

Hello!

Sorry for no updates for a while, I'm in the last grade before Upper Secondary School, so i have loads of homework....

Well, here is a fast recap of the week, I've been talking to Corsair and BeQuiet, both much positive to this project, more about them later :thumb:

This evening I was getting some chromepipes from my friends dad who actually work with this, and a bender and cutter of course!

Last week I got a very interesting package, I think you can guess what it is by viewing this picture!

[​IMG]

Yes you are right!
    It's some Bitspower fittings :rock:

[​IMG]

I just did a fast check to see if they fitted as i wanted to, if you look at this picture I kinda nailed it :)
    http://imageshack.us/a/img138/4444/slenderbox.jpg

[​IMG]

Here are a closeup of the silvershining fitting!
    Well, what can i say? Except that they look stunning?

[​IMG]

Thank you sooooo much Bitspower for this sponsoring, you are the only ones that can provide this high quality pipe fittings!

That was everything for now!

Over and out!

:clap:

10. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

What method of vinyl'ing the fans did you use? Only one that occures to the night owl mind seems ineffeicent and franklly hideously waistful. Likeing the combo of white and carbon fiber!

11. iSw3de

iSw3de What's a Dremel?

Im not really sure of what you meant, but you can try to tell me with abit easier english so i can understand :)

Well, Iv'e been stuck in the project for a while since Iv'e got no budget for a PSU or Internal Memory at the moment. But last week i had some great talk with Corsair and BeQuiet who didn't gotta let this project stand down for long solved the problem for me and for my followers!

[​IMG]

Hopefully I got the stuff this week, and we will be up and running with the system soon!

12. iSw3de

iSw3de What's a Dremel?

Update 22/01-13

Hello Bit-tech! :rock:

Time for another update from me :)

Lets the update begin!

Well, this is the package, which should include my new PSU and RAM :rock:

[​IMG]

Well, it didn't, when i looked closer it was only this beauty, they must have sent it separated :)
    I wen't sad for a second because i wanted to power everything up and try it out today (Well, i managed that anyways as you can read later on :) )

[​IMG]

This isn't any 80+ Bronze or anything like that, this is the real thing :nod:
    I must say that Corsair put a lot into the outside of their products to, i love this "Premium" feel over it :thumb:

[​IMG]

So inside the box there was.....
    Another box?! :confused:

[​IMG]

Inside that box there was something more, and again they prove that you get what you pay for :eeek:

[​IMG]

The heart of my computer, that will pump all power through it's veins to give my soon overclocked CPU and GPU much power to chew on :gasp:
    100% modular too, nothing here to talk about

[​IMG]

Also nice black cables, i liked them alot cuse of that since i like that more then loads of weird colors :duh:

[​IMG]

Sata prefectly made, or almost, i will re make all cables tho so they fit everything perfect with length etc.

[​IMG]

Loads of cables :eeek:

[​IMG]

This was what actually made me buy the 760 instead of the 760i.
    As this will be a homePC, it would be nice with some silence!
    [​IMG]

While turning my room upside down for something ( I don't remember what xD )
    I found some old RAM to start it up with :D

Said and done, i think it only took 20 minutes from unboxing until it was rigged :)

[​IMG]

I was receiving some problems with the GPU, don't know what that can be, but it takes way long time at the Windows logo until it loggs on when the GPU is connected....

[​IMG]

Then i downloaded all drivers and tried a round of Prime, and only 60C with the stock cooler :)
    Hopefully i got something nice here that I will be able to clock until it burns :rofl:

That was all for now!

Have a great day!

Lucas

13. iSw3de

iSw3de What's a Dremel?

Hello Bit Techers, this is actually the first "modding" that im doing in this project :lol:
    I was so excited to try those connections, so i bent a pipe in 90 degrees and testmounted it

Well, i tried to put together some of the pipes with the blocks, i just did it once since i don't want to destroy the o-rings, which i actually did in one of them (luckely it was only one of the twos) :duh:

[​IMG]

At the GPU, I think this way will be the greatest since it wont block the eyesight if i decide to put a window in it :)

[​IMG]

Over at the CPU, I must say that when you pull it in completely it can't be draged out without much pressure

For anyone who wonders, this is what keeps it tight, the double o-rings in the fitting!

[​IMG]

Also a wonder, my waterblock seems to have been opened before, and i see some dust in it, should i just let some water flow through and then destilled water? :confused:

Best Regards Lucas

Last edited: 7 Aug 2013
  14. iSw3de

iSw3de What's a Dremel?

No one interested? :eyebrow:
    Well, maybe you just want some crafted stuff?! :rock:

Here are the full Up-date of the parts!

The bottom cover
    All small holes you see (everyone of them except the ones at the PSU) will be M3 tapped :)

[​IMG]

Some cable holders to make the cables go straight and nicely :)
    Also extremely spooky lightning at two of them

[​IMG]

How it will look

[​IMG]

Radiator mount :)

[​IMG]

The GPU backplate

[​IMG]

How it looks with some hardware!

[​IMG]

The GPU backplate on top of the GPU :)

[​IMG]

I failed at this point. As you can see, the hole should be moved about 20mm to the left :facepalm: I think I'll just let it be by glueing a screwhead on it :blush:

[​IMG]

And lastly

A video of the process!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYEmRl0Nfpo

Enjoy!

ps. sorry for this late update, I thought i posted just some weeks ago.

Last edited: 7 Aug 2013
  15. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

The old saying "measure twice cut once" comes to mind with this. Though it still looks sweet and shouldn't be to hard to cover over. Keep up the good work.

16. iSw3de

iSw3de What's a Dremel?

Latest update were in February, I think its time for another one!

Finally my parts arrived and I'm so happy, now I can continue on my build!

Here is the beauty that will hold my SSD, HDD och Aquero5LT :D

[​IMG]

It's 2mm aluminum, weights 340g and measures 170x145x60mm

[​IMG]

SSD mounted, :)

[​IMG]

HDD mounted

[​IMG]

I love the feeling when I've measured everything right down to that 10th of a millimeter :nod:

Here is the fanmounts, it's tapped with M3 threads, and I will use some fractal design 50mm cute fans.

[​IMG]

This is the cover that will line up with the harddrive case.

[​IMG]

That was everything for today :rock:

17. iSw3de

iSw3de What's a Dremel?

Finals :D

The top, had to climb our staircase and take a picture from above :rock:
    [​IMG]

The GPU and CPU bends of tube, the easiest bend was the one from GPU -> CPU, everything else was a mess of bending :grr:

[​IMG]

BeQuiet fans never failed me before, these were kinda noicy when at max, but I will put them at lower RPM later! :)

[​IMG]

Must say those Dominator RAM really matches the tube :3

[​IMG]

Only place to check out the white coolant, sadly, I wanted to see it more but that ain't possible with the tubing :hehe:

[​IMG]

High quality fittings, my wallet hurts but it was well worth it!

[​IMG]

From behind, with the mini-fans for the HDD to the right =)

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the kind words!