1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Proposed first gaming build! Input appreciated! **BUILD UPDATED!**

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpyderBombz, 10 Feb 2013.

1. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

Paranoia can never hurt you when building a computer, it can however make you a bit poor-er ;)

Just looking at scan I like the looks of these:

linky

linky

And the asrock board looks nice as well. All 3 should be more alike than they are different as the underlying chipset (Z77) determines most of the important characteristics of the board, and all 3 are from reputable companies.

I've never used a Gigabyte or Asrock brand motherboard so I can't really testify as to their finer points, but I've always found asus boards to have a real 'premium' feet to them, notably in the accessories that come with the board (SATA cables and such) and they have a reputation for making great BIOS.

Anyone out there with Gigabyte or Asrock boards feel like giving their perspective on the aspects of the board that don't make it onto the feature list?

2. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

3. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

One thing ( if it hasnt already been mentioned) your better off with low profile ram, so it doesnt get in the way of the HSF.

4. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

Great minds... :)

5. yougotkicked

I'll second the motion to get low-profile RAM, though I can't find anything on scan I feel like specifically recommending. The sticks I use are available from overclockers, if you're interested. They overclock better than anything else on the market, fit comfortably under any heatsink, and are devoid of useless heat spreaders. Plus they end up costing less than the kit you had in your original post.

6. SpyderBombz

SpyderBombz What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 15 Feb 2013
  7. yougotkicked

It all looks good to me. I can't find fault with any of the component choices.

Think seriously about just routing a cable over to your computer, it's often possible to run a cable all the way through a house without it being noticeable, the only challenge is going up/down stairs.