Protecting printed CD-R surface

Discussion in 'General' started by Sputnik, 20 Jan 2007.

1. Sputnik

Sputnik What's a Dremel?

I really couldn't decide where to put this.

I purchased a Canon iP5200 recently and it is very nice! Tried the CD-R printing function and it is supurb. The only problem is that the ink is not water resistant and even if your fingertip is damp, it will ruin the printed image. Is there anything I can spray onto the surface to protect it?

I tried some Acrylic Protective Layer on a test CD that I printed. It works, put a drop of water on the surface and no problem to the image. Is this alright, to spray stuff onto a CD? I don't want to destroy any CD/DVD ROM drives.

Sputnik :lol:

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'd think an uneven coating would throw the disc slightly off-balance in the drive, which could cause problems. But, I'd figure that at worst, you'd break the CD, not the drive.

In honesty, I think your best bet is just being careful when handling the disc. You really should only be touching the edges anyways. Sure, it's not especially helpful advice... but proper disc handling should ensure good longevity of both the disc and the printed image.

3. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

You could always see if you can find the CD protectors that stick on. Basically they are a 120mm circle clear sticker. As for spraying it with the acrylic stuff, shouldn't cause too much of a problem unless it is very uneven or quite thick.

4. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Problem is if your going to put a clear sticker on it, why not just print on the sticker? CD-R printing is good, but a CD-R pen is so much easier!

Just be careful is the best advice.
    Regards
    GiGo

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Try to get hold of some of that spray the use on pencil drawings to protect it.

i would guess any art shop or book store will have it. Just spray a thin coat and it should be OK.

A CD isn't THAT perfectly made, so a thin coat of lacquer won't make any difference.

6. Sputnik

Sputnik What's a Dremel?

Yes... that's all good. But when you are converting a VHS to DVD, you can't very well write, "Jimmy's 9th Birthday" on the CD for the customer :lol:.

I'd have to agree. I have never come across a single CD that hasn't made my computer vibrate slightly or not made a noise. The stuff I tried is for electronic circuits and components to protect them against corrosion/humidity. The layer I sprayed on a test CD was incredibley fine and was rather effective. The only problem was that I should've sprayed from different angles as tiny pits weren't covered and caused some slight degradation.

Thanks all,

7. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

You could always get some of the printable CD labels. You can still print fancy graphics (rather than just writing "Jimmy's 9th Birthday"), and it's in the form of a sticker, so you don't have to fuss with spraying anything on the CD.

I would be concerned that some over spray would find its way onto the CD surface, causing some kind of abnormality.

-monkey

8. Sputnik

Sputnik What's a Dremel?

That is indeed a concern of mine. I thought perhaps of 'sandwhiching' the CD between two layers of something, such as thin plastic. The bottom layer covers the recorded surface and the top layer covers the little area of transparent plastic closest to the center. These two layers are screwed together. Probably will just use cardboard...

9. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

cling film (?) is your friend here. (you know, that sticky, thin plastic you wrap food in)

10. Sputnik

Sputnik What's a Dremel?

Somehow I don't think so. Ha ha. I think I'll use the spray. I'm just thinking of ways to safely spray the CD/DVD without the spray getting to the recorded surface.

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

sorry. Probably a bad formulation from my side. I meant that you put cling film on the recorded side of the disk to mask it form overspray and spray-dust.

You remove the cling film when you are done spraying, ofcourse. ;)