1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress ProtoHype - (paused)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 13 Aug 2009.

1. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks, nice to hear you like it.
    I'm studying designengineering at Chalmers university of technology.

2. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

The votes are well deserved! Is that Industrial Design Engineering?

3. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks...
    yeah kind of. "Industrial Design Engineering" is the 5 year master programme, mine is the 3year version of it, but basically the same.

4. JaSoN...

JaSoN... What's a Dremel?

It looks like you designed the case on CATIA, thats quiet impressive.

5. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

:eyebrow: Uuuuh, alu-work. Gotta sub to this one!

6. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks..yes you right, thats CATIA. We use it at school and thats where I got it from. I like it since it feels so logical. Atleast the solid modelling part, the surface modelling im learning right now and it feels a little bit trickier but I guess thats the case on all similar programs.

Now im off to pic upp some alu...

7. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

okay, guys
    Next update

This is the part Im about to fabricate next, it is the top (and bottom) of the case as you probably already figured out.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

This is how the finished parts hopefully will look. It's a quite advanced shape, atleast I think so. Since I don't have acess to a CNC, the rounded surfaces will be a pain in the ass to fabricate
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

This is the profile of the bars and the support for them. The bottom of the bars and the support might look a little bit unnecessarily complex. The reason for this is that there will be alumium mesh added between the rods and this will probably make it a little bit more easy to install. There is also the airflow in mind. The support will probably still see some modifications to ease the fabrication, if you know of any, please let me know since I'm still learning.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

This is how I intendt on creating the curve. Milling the parts in a stair patern and then even out the curved surface by hand with a file. This is the only solution I have to the problem at the moment, please let me know if you got a better one that will save me some elbow grease.
    I was thinking of fabricating my own cutter with the desired radius but I would need to fabricate 3 different ones and also a tool to create them.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Picked up some aluminium square rods last week. The thickness is 20mm and it was delivered in 6 X 1m lengts.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

The first thing to do was to cut them all down to 50cm lengts.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

At this point I'm starting to realise how much this case will weigh...a lot
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Since the rods are 20mm square, I need to mill them down 2mm since I want them to be 18 mm. I could have bought 18mm square rods from the beginning but since (half) of these rods will be on the top of the case and very vissible, I wan't them to be perfect. There is almost always some dents or large scratches from the metal supplier and therefore I prefer to have some excess material.
    Btw this is one of the mills at school that I finally have acess to, not my own. This one is much larger and there is a lot of nice tools. Like this facemill.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

I also discovered a second vice wich helped me speed up the facemilling process a lot, since there is a total of 24 sides that need to be treated.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

I ran out of time and had to stop after half of the pieces where done. This is what I got so far.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

See ya

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

On rounding the tops: Do you have access to a rotary table, tail stock, and A high-clearance mill?

9. bagman

bagman Minimodder

vashed va sngte :rock:

10. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

I got access to a rotary table (around 12"), and a high clearance mill but I'm not to shure about the tailstock though. I think I saw one at the workshop but I'm not shure of the condition, guess I'll have to check it out.

I think I get your point though... mounting all the rods on a support and "turning" them all at once, one small step at a time right? I't would be sweet but im a little bit worried about the rigidity when milling though since the size is quite large.

I'm not shure I understand that one but atleast I understand the smiley, Thanks

11. Brutal1ty

Brutal1ty What's a Dremel?

Really nice project you've got there : >
    The harddrive looks AMAZING! :clap:

12. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks a lot, I assume you meant the DVD-drive since I havn't touched the harddrive yet ;)

13. Botn3vik

Botn3vik Mod it!

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."

well... to me it looks as you have a pile of really nice stuff.. not junk at all... but you seem to have a good imagination.. did you use to have a pile of junk, and thats where you got your imagination? :D

14. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

I got that quote when I was doing my first "real" project, (Widescreen Projector) since most of the parts from that build was taken from something else like typewriters, shopshelves and computer parts. It's kind of been my way of building things ever since I was a kid, I take what I got, (also the reason for my MACgyver avatar ;)). However this build I agree with you is not made of junk and I got access to a nice toolshop which is needed because of the complexity of the case. But I still have that reuse thinking even though it doesn't show of in this project..

Thanks for noticing :thumb:

15. Shazbom

Shazbom What's a Dremel?

WHAT HAPPENED MATE? WHERE IS THE MODDING. BEEN WAITING FOR ALMOST 2 MONTHS NOW. lol

16. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Yay.. nice to hear your waiting. The modding is still going. However there hasn't been any ludicrous speed since there has been a lot of work at school. The current stage with the "toprods" have also proven to be a true pain because of some problems with the mill and therefore ended upp taken forever. So i'm currently working with other parts too speed up the process a little bit atleast :)

And since you ask ...here's a teaser for you.

[​IMG]

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

more to come soon.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2010
  17. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

That looks.... expensive...

18. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Been a while since the last update and the resone for that is quite a lot of work att shcool and of course the holidays. Also had some alignment problems with the mill im currently using at school and therefore the toprods have ended up taking longer to fabricate than estimated. For that reason I have also started the work on some other parts of the project to speed up the process a bit. This is the work currently done on the top rods

all 12 rods and 24 sides are facemilled and ready for the rough milling.

[​IMG]

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here is the first rod taking shape. Each step has a different depth to create the a rough shape of the desired radius.

[​IMG]

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

This is suposed to bee one of the underside of the rods. Managed to screw it upp a bit because the previously mentioned alignment problems with the vices. Think I managed to save it though.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

The work on the toprods are on hold untill I manage to solve the problems with the vices.
    Therefore I started working on the HD-blocks that are a lot less problematic to fabricate.

This is the plan for the HD blocks. Two solid Alu blocks that will cool up to three hard drives. The water will enter the top block and continue on to the second block through a single tube and then exit the second block through 6 separate tubes.

[​IMG]

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

Layout of the top block. The middle "plate" is supposed to be a plexi window to add to the geekyness. There will also be a thin sheat of rubber to (hopefully) make it leak proof.

[​IMG]

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

Sideview of the top block, here you can see the chanel structure

[​IMG]

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

Bottom block, with chanel structure.

[​IMG]

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

Time for fabrication.
    First of I need some thick pieces of alu. These are 160x20mm and cut with an angle grinder

[​IMG]

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

Using an endmill to trimm the edges and make it the right dimentions.

[​IMG]

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]

(CLICK TO ZOOM)

sorry for the non workable clicking images, but im of for a trips to london and don't have time to fix that. see ya

*edit: fixed and added some images and text.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2010
  19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Have fun. We'll be here waiting when you get back.:hehe:

20. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

thx, cheap.
    The trip was a blast.

*I've edited the update since I was in a reall hurry when posting it and therefore didn't have time to dubbelcheck. Realised that some images where wrong and some were missing so I added those.

Would like to hear your thoughts and ideas of the HD block design. Either good or bad.