1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Prysm: Laser displays are the future

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Jan 2010.

1. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

thank you prysm.. someone had to do it XD

2. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

The only reason I upgraded from my 19" iiyama CRT was that the max res was 1280x960.
    I DID look for a good, large, widescreen CRT, and found only one.
    I can't remember who made it, I just remember the res was amazing (2560xsomethinglikethat) and the price was waaaaaaaaaaay out of budget for a home PC user. Pro only.....

If I could get a cheapish 24" 1920x1080/1200 or 2560x1600 CRT, I would buy it no probs...

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No good for home monitors/TVs; I think that OLEDs will win the day when it comes to those. but great for home cinema (and commercial cinema) projectors and very large displays. Cloud deck as projection screen, anyone? W00t!

4. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

IMA FIRIN' MAH LAHZOR - Should be the sound when you turn the damn thing on! That would so much funny

Still though, I would wait and see if the tech is all that juicy or just a big buzz. If it's that epic, certainly I'll be looking forward to get one

5. LucusLoC

LucusLoC What's a Dremel?

while we are doing the oneupmanship, i have a 24 inch crt. so far it has collapsed 2 cheep ikea brand desks (the usually only last a few months under that kind of weight) and it now sits on a third with a pillar of textbook taking the brunt of the weight. it is awesome for gaming and video, but i find lcd better for text. it is dual screened with a 22 inch wide screen format lcd for reading on.

this new tech should be really neat, and i don't think the mirror issue will be all that much of a problem, since you can do that kind of think using memory materials. however, i share the concern with the depth of the screen, i think there is some limit to how thin projection based technologies can get. they did say it could theoretically fit in a hand-held device, but i would really like to see a diagram on how it actually works before i believe that. anyone have links to white-papers?

6. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

We should reject new screen tech and demand holographic displays!!!

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

one word

PEW!

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'll say this again: Mitsubishi already have a laser TV. It's been around for a year now.

And they don't use big moving mirrors, they use tiny micro mirrors on a DLP chip - a chip about the same size as the one in your PC.

And, as far as I'm aware, no sharks are involved either. Sorry to disappoint :(

9. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Yes, this story also reminded me of SED's.

10. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Think the same kind of mirrors you see in night club lasers : tiny piezoelectric devices, moving back and forth creating an image.
    The ones on the screen would just be faster...

11. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Rear mounted laser as in crt type, forget it. Now if they did it in a projector, and had the same great qualities of a crt, I will buy one.

12. livesabitch

livesabitch life is what you make it!

bloody great film! shame the monitor he made isnt real tho cause it would bwe thre best display ever!

13. Zayfod

Zayfod What's a Dremel?

"...For the audience the answer will be displayed on the Laser-Display-Screen, and for listeners at home it will be read by the Mystery Voice..."

14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

If you read closely it's not going to be anything like the size of a crt, it's just the way it works is similar to a crt. They're potentially going to be used for phones

Same thickness as the really thin OLEDs or LED LCDs I wouldn't have thought they'd be that thin, but they shouldn't be thicker than an LCD.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2010
  15. fodder

fodder Minimodder

Mmm, excellent idea, not sure how well it would scale for home use. I used to work with imaging devices with spinning mirrors and lasers, excellent until you knocked or moved them, or the compressor/air supply to the air bearing failed. Very messy.

16. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

Whatever happened to SED screens.....personaly thought that tech showed a lot of promise

17. Altron

Altron Minimodder

A mirror assembly takes some depth (although concerns about reliability IMO are unfounded... it's so small and light and fast, not a big ol'diesel motor spinning a freaking lighthouse mirror)

I'd be concerned about depth. From the sounds of this, it has more in common with a rear projection TV or CRT than with a LCD or plasma. Not sure if they can make it thin.

Also have my doubts about luminous efficacy of it. Lasers are a lot less efficient than LEDs, especially since we're talking about probably an ultraviolet laser.

There's some cool laser stuff in the pipeline (check out quantum cascade lasers).

Now, I'm curious though. Would this be an ultraviolet lighting up phosphor dots, or a tunable dye laser being adjusted? Hopefully the latter.

What about pixel pitch? There's a limit to how collimated you can get a laser, and if a laser hits adjacent pictures, it could cause interference. Will the monochromatic lasers work as well as polychromatic LED backlights?

Sounds interesting, though.

18. feathers

feathers Minimodder

This is not a new idea of course. Do I want a display that depends on scanning motors/mirrors? No. If it could bring large screen (i.e. wall sized) screens at low cost then yes, might be nice. Bouncing a "LASER" (notice the correct spelling because I'm not a pre-teen) using motors spinning at high speed will inevitably bring problems of life longevity.

Ask yourself this: What is the most unreliable component in a computer?

Answer = Hard disk.

Nah, not a new idea and it won't become mainstream. The very first TV ever was based on scanning mirrors. It didn't survive against the competition: solid state - no mechanical parts.

19. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

OK. I'll say this for a third time: NO BIG SPINNING MIRRORS. The technology (at least that in Mitsubishi's TV) uses a DLP chip that uses tiny micro mirrors. Nothing big, nothing spinning, no motors. The DLP chip is about the same size as a CPU.

DLP displays (both rear- and front-projection systems) have been around for years, the technology is proven and tested. In a projection system, the most unreliable component is the bulb - using lasers instead of a bulb should increase the lifespan of a projector significantly.

The only thing I'm dubious about is the depth of any Prysm-type display - as the screen size increases, surely the laser/mirror array has to be further away from the phosphor screen? SO the bigger the display, the deeper the display?

I'd also be concerned about the smallest size they're saying they'll get to - surely there's a minimum depth where the lasers and mirrors can work?

20. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip What's a Dremel?

no matter how great the technology of a screen is, there will still be crap to watch

Tags: Add Tags