1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 6 Jul 2004.

1. starfox

starfox What's a Dremel?

You usually don't submit an article for publication until you have permission to reproduce images, that's just common courtesy. Also, if you're writing an article about a mod, don't be slack and use someone else's photos, especially mine where it's a bit hard to see the solder points :)

2. Dgephri

Dgephri What's a Dremel?

starfox, ay idea if a NVidia 5950 supports CSync?

I have my PS1 running composite now, and its fine, but I wonder if all the soldering would be worth it just to find out my VC doesn't support Csync.

and a couple more questions:
    1.) could a Matrix orbital be used to trigger the 5V ON circuit? If so, how would you ground it since the Matrix needs the ground to come back into the circuit? 2 Grounds, one to the PS1 and one to the Matrix Orbital pin?

2.) have you tested it using just 7V like a fan adapter? could you cross the 12V and 5V from the PSU to get 7V and run it just .5V low?

Just some thoughts, I would really like to get rid of the AC adapter for a totally internal installation.

Nice work, and nice pics to help out.

3. dieselstation

dieselstation What's a Dremel?

great article!

i have a quick question.. would it be possible to use the DVI out on my Radeon 9800 Pro if i got a DVI to VGA adapter? then mod the vga adapter to the article?

4. starfox

starfox What's a Dremel?

Dgephri:
    I don't know if that nVidia card has composite sync. All the nVidia cards i've come across don't, but you never know.. Download Powerstrip and see if the checkbox for composite sync is greyed out, and check that you can set the pixel clock and other options to what is required for the mod (see the screenshot in the article). That'll give you a good idea whether the mod will work or not.

What's a Matrix Orbital? I don't know what that is, sorry can't answer that question for now.

I would not run the display off the 12V-5V differential voltage, as this is a floating voltage and not with reference to the ATX PSU's ground. When you connect up the VGA cable, you will be shorting the 5V line to ground through your video card, and in the worst case you might fry your video card, or might damage the display. Even if you could isolate the ground, there'll be a lot of noise from the backlit inverter which might make weird things happen.

dieselstation: Yes if your video card does composite sync, and can do the low horizontal refresh. Check that powerstrip can do those before trying anything.

5. PsycoGeek

PsycoGeek What's a Dremel?

OK, has anyone tried one of these on an ATI card like a 9800? Also, will these things take s-video input, or just composite?

I plan on using one for a PC display, and one for watching TV from my digital cable converter.

-edited- Geez... had to corect the spelling and grammar... don't want to look like a dufus or anything. BTW, I know what a dremel is and how to use it. :dremel:

Last edited: 9 Jul 2004
  6. Dgephri

Dgephri What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info so far Starfox, very helpful stuff.

Matrix Orbital (www.matrixorbital.com) a brand of LCD and VFD displays with 12V and 5V switching (General Purpose Output) that can be controlled with software (usually a utility called LCDC). With this device I can turn 12V lighting, fans, and other devices off and on as well as 5V LEDs and relays.

A number of mods here at Bit-Tech use them.

I just wondered how one might go about hooking it up so that I can use the Wake-On 5V after startup and bypass all the flickering BIOS stuff.

7. lolzantz

lolzantz What's a Dremel?

PSone Composite connections

Hey guys new to the forum. Loved the article from bee by the way it was excellent. If possible can someone post up a picture of their composite connections for the PSone lcd mod? I want to take the composite route down the road that way i dont f anything up. I have read all the guides but i just need to see how it is done. So how many soldering points are there for you to make a composite connection exactly for this lcd to work? I want to connect it to my 9800pro using the svideo output using the svideo to rca converter.

8. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Excellent article, I've been toying with the idea of useing one of these screens for ages but wasn't sure of the pinout or other inplications, excellent :thumb:

9. starfox

starfox What's a Dremel?

Dgephri: I can't find much information about interfacing with the Matrix Orbital GPOs (then again i'm not trying very hard), but if they're just 12V and 5V outputs, yes you could use those to switch on the display. You could just connect the 5V output to pin 10 of the PSOne display, and that should work (make sure the PSOne display's ground pins are grounded to the computer chassis).

If it was me i'd be a bit more careful and use an IC with an AND gate (74LS08 or something similar) and connect the 5V output from the Matrix Orbital to both input pins of the AND gate, the output pin of the AND gate to the PSOne display just in case something bad happened to the PSOne display (like the ground started floating), but that's probably not necessary.

PsycoGeek: Just composite video.

10. PsycoGeek

PsycoGeek What's a Dremel?

Rodger that starfox. Thanks for the reply. Now all I have to do is get my hands on a few.

Also, anyone look into those 2.6" screens? For the proce I've been contemplating purchasing two.

11. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

A Question

OK. Finally bought me one of these:
    [​IMG]

Quick question though

I want to use the multi AV in connector instead of opening and soldering in the case.
    I have an old and well busted psX that I can rip apart to get the female connector off and solder the vga cable to it instead.
    My Q is: what is the pinout (rather, pin-in :D) on the multi AV in?
    I would guess that pin 1 is on the RIGHT of the below pic.
    Also, are the pins numbered sequentially. Any help would be of assistance.

[​IMG]

Flymo

12. PsyVision

PsyVision What's a Dremel?

I have my PS One screen finally displaying a picture. The picture is stable and runs smoothly using vga running from a tyan tacheon radeon 9600 pro. However im having a few problems.

1. How can i change the resolutions in powerstrip. Whenever i add a new one it asks me to reboot, after doing so it doesnt show up. I found one that is 720x568 and another 640x480 (the arcade one) yet i cant get it to actually apply these and change them, its stuck on 640x480 at the moment.

2. The colours seem slightly off, again in powerstrip its stuck on 256 colors and although it displays others it wont let me apply them (it was on 32bit before but i changed it and now its stuck).

3. I think what might be the main problem with all of these. I have 750ohm (i think they are) resistors from the RGB pins to the corresponding grounds which is then linked (ie all three linked) to the ground on the PS One screen however windows still wont pick the monitor up. Im having to hot wire it at the moment. I think this could be the cause of problems 1 and 2.

[Edit: Ive worked out that my colours are inverse, i followed it as on Serio's page (connections wise) why could this be?

Last edited: 16 Jul 2004
  13. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

1) the display cannot work anything higher than 640x480, so no need to chagne resolution

14. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

actually, he is in the UK, so has the PAL version most likely, which runs at the higher res

Flymo

15. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

Ok.
    Found out using the continuity setting on my el-cheapo maplin voltmeter that the AV multi-in on the Screen passes through to the AV Multi-out on the back of the screen base unit.
    I cut the end off an av multi out > scart adapter and checked the pinout for the wiring and got the following:
    Code:

Pin	Name	Description	                  COLOUR

1	Gmd	Ground 	 	   
    2	Rt	Right Audio ---------------------- [B][COLOR=DarkOrange]ORANGE[/COLOR][/B]	 	   
    3	Gnd	Ground 	 	   
    4	Lt	Left Audio ------------------------[B][COLOR=Sienna]BROWN[/COLOR][/B]	 	   
    5	Y	S-Video Y	 	   
    6	Sync	PAL Video/Composite Sync*----------[B][COLOR=White]WHITE[/COLOR][/B]	 	   
    7	C	S-Video C	 	   
    8	V-Gnd	Video Ground-----------------------[B]BLACK[/B]	 	   
    9	B	Blue-------------------------------[B][COLOR=Navy]BLUE[/COLOR][/B]	 	   
    10	+5v	+5 Volt----------------------------[B][COLOR=Yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B]	 	   
    11	R	Red -------------------------------[B][COLOR=Red]RED[/COLOR][/B]	 	   
    12	G	Green------------------------------[B][COLOR=DarkGreen]GREEN[/COLOR][/B]

I am now pulling apart old monitor cables to see if I have one with the 5V linethat I can use for this mod WITHOUT having to solder inside the LCD case.

Flymo

Last edited: 17 Jul 2004
  16. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

Aaaaah scrotums :(
    2 dead monitors on the attic and neither has pin 9 on the vga connector.
    Ah well , off to PC World in the morning to see if any of the VGA extender cables they sell has the pin.

Flymo

17. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

*shrug*
    none of my monitor cables had pin9 either..so i didnt use it and it still working fine for me :)

18. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

Yeah, but arent the NTSC versions able to run without this being used?
    I think the PAL versions NEED this in order to initialise.
    I MAY be wrong though......

Flymo

19. Abadon

Abadon What's a Dremel?

one of the coolest mods (if not the coolest) i've ever seen, will be attempting this when i get the screen

but i got a question, does this only work with one video card (that is i use the main vga for my main monitor and use the secondary dvi connector (using dvi-vga converter)) for this or can i pick up another cheap ti4200 on a pci and use it at the same time

20. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

problems.........

For some reason, my system wont let me install a 2nd graphics card.......

I am using a radeon 9800 PRO flashed to 9800XT (no dual monitor support - just the option of DVI or VGA).

I have tried to install 2 different PCI cards (an ATI Mach 64 VT and an S3 Trio 64V+).

Each card will work fine if it is in the system on its own - Drivers work fine. The problem ocurrs when I try to add a 2nd card in the system - the 2nd card does not work AT ALL.
    I cant really use the mach 64 as it may be faulty because the DCC line only seems to output 3V Rather than the 5 that is needed (and that the Trio puts out)

If I install one of the PCI cards along with the radeon, the PCI card will fail to load (error message in device manager is - could not be started).
    The same thing If I install 2 pci cards and no radeon - the card in the lower pci slot fails to initialise giving the same error message.

Any help appreciated to try and get out of this.

BTW, system is in sig (apart from Raddy 9800 RPO @ XT)

Flymo

Tags: Add Tags