1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PSU Brand Silver Power Experience?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JustLeigh, 23 Aug 2010.

1. JustLeigh

JustLeigh What's a Dremel?

Hello all,

I built my first build a bit back and, being a novice, didn't really know a good PSU or indeed, appreciate the difference between a good one and a poor one.

I went for a Silver Power 850w in the end, purely motivated by price. I have been unable to find anything about Silver Power (reviews etc...) on the web, so ws wondering if anyone here has experience with them or an opinion on the quality of their PSU's?

Ever since I finished the build, when pressing the on button on the case, the PSU will kick in, LEDs come on and fans start up, then everything will cut out, then a few seconds later it all starts up again and POSTs. Is this normal? I assumed it was meant to be happening but I am not sure anymore and would appreciate some advice as I have now started to recieve BIOS CHCKSUM errors (Yes, have reset the BIOS and removed the batt. Batt and board are only 1.5 years old). I was wondering if power cutting out in the first stages of POST could some how corrupt the BIOS data?

What do people wiser than I think?

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Link

But the startup problem is 100% not right, I'd try another psu first.

3. Reddoguk

Reddoguk I Play WoW :(

Silver Power PSUs are budget based, but the reviews seem very good for a cheap brand.

Silver Power is actually Tagan.

Tagan was born in Germany 1999 which is full of German engineer’s spirits and discipline.
    That is why Tagan has achieved hundreds of the best product awards and gained the most of professional gamers’ favorite.

This time Tagan’s engineers design a new Power Supply after thousands of professional gamers’ requests and advices. The second brand of Tagan is called Silver Power.

Silver Power fits perfectly the professional users with cost concerns. It is without Tagan’s luxury materials and packages but with the latest PSU technology. The technologies have been implemented in Silver Power so far there is no any other PSU manufactures could catch up at moment.

As for your boot up problem, i'm not sure really what would be causing that.

It could be a bad earth or corrupted MBR. First thing i would do is reseat all ram sticks and GFX card, check all wires, you might have a poor connection somewhere.

Last edited: 23 Aug 2010
  4. mkb

mkb Minimodder

The boot cycle is not uncommon, I've had it on my last two cpu's. Hit the pwr, the fans rotate for a split second, stop for a moment and then it all starts up.

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

That's usually a sign of a bad OC or a need for a bios update in my book

6. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Maybe, but for me it happens all the time. I turn the PC off at the plug every night (it's in my bedroom, and I don't want the motherboard and power leds lit up keeping me awake), and when I start it up again, it spins fans, shuts off then starts up again. I'm not sure why it does it, but it definitely doesn't do that when I don't turn it off at the plug. (psu is HX1000)

I'd say that it's not a massive cause for concern, in itself.

No, your bios would not have been corrupted (at least not the actual bios, maybe your cmos data) - the bios is read only apart from when you're updating it - no part of it is altered during bootup.

7. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Seen this a few times aswell. Theres all sorts of bizarre little niggles that don't seem to have a cause. A comp i built for a mate with older parts only kicks in the fans when you power it up, nothing else what so ever. Then you press reset and it boots fine with no other issues at all and i've checked, double checked, triple checked and contact cleaned everything i possibly can and it still does it. Who knows :lol:

I'd say follow the good advice and just methodically check every single connection that you can. Also have a close look at the connectors for signs of corrosion. I doubt its the issue but hey, anythings posible.

Last edited: 23 Aug 2010
  8. JustLeigh

Thanks for your replies, guys, and the info about Silver Power. Glad to see I've not got a duff PSU brand!
    My comp has pretty much always done the quick burst of power then nothing then back on. It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen from soft power. The machine has been taken apart and rebuilt several times since its original creation so I'm pretty sure it's not a dodgy connection. It's not caused any problems though so I guess I'll just deal with it!
    Think I'll start a new thread for my BIOS chcksum error to see what people think.

Kind regards

Leigh

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

personally dont rate silverpower as not all thier PSUs are good and some are really really rubbish.

id say there better than Generic but worse than a quality PSU unless you happen to have one that gets a decent review.

guess its more hit and miss with them

as for you issue have you tried updating the bios i know my gigabyte had issues with cold starts after a power cut and would turn on then off again then straight back on.

10. JustLeigh

I'll check for a BIOS update, but I'm starting to think this may be a combination of a PSU problem and, funnily enough, a issue with my Antec 900 case.

The power button gets stuck down when depressed so does not click back up. I think this may be sending an 'on' signal when pressed, then sending an 'off' signal straight away as the button has not popped back up. This in turn is fritzing out the CMOS data when being read resulting in the error.

If I caress the power botton just enough to get the PC started but not enough for the button to get stuck, it starts fine with no power cut out and no error message.

What do you educated people think? Is the above a fair bit of deduction? I have not ruled out a PSU problem, but there is definately a corroboration between the power cut outs, the POST errors and the case power button. Am going to email Antec and see what they say.