1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on ID

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Guest-23315, 16 Dec 2012.

1. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Police can stop and speak to anyone they like. It's only if they refuse to stop that we need to suspect something to be able to detain them. Some would argue that refusing to stop and talk would make you suspicious of them, as 'suspicion' requires no physical evidence and a very low burden of proof.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I hate that, too. I hate the stupidly common notion that because they have equal rights on the road (Arguably not, since they pay no road tax, insurance, or even have to register their bikes..) they can break as many laws as they like, be as discourteous as they like, and in some cases, be a complete tit. I'll never forget the video I saw of some self-important cyclist shouting numberplates of cars for his head camera so he could report them later, and slaping the window of a taxi because it was "too close". I've always wondered if, when a cyclist is too close (As they often go past my drivers side at lights), I'm entitled to punch them. Seems fair by that cyclists - And the number of comments agreeing with him - standards.

That's disappointing. I've seen ambulances that've had the valuable kit removed, but retained the reflective stickering and such like go to some auction places. Was kinda hoping I could find an old Focus estate in a similar condition for dog transport >.>

To be honest, I didn't know the A14 until Monday either :p

Yes, it was a marked car - One of the estate size, I forget the model.

That's what I'd be looking for - I bet they'd be cheap considering the age and the driving styles, but probably main dealer serviced and all work done that needed doing. Be great for a cheap dog transport.

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Seriously mate... I pay "road tax" its called tax and pays for all manner of things. I also pay VED for my car... Cyclists are more likely to be drivers than the general population. If a car is passing as close as to be touched then it is clear violation of the highway code. The difference between a car passing at 30mph and a bike passing a stationary queue of traffic closely is simple physics. There are some morons in every form of transport every one is just trying to get to their destination, no need to be unpleasant about it.

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I suggest the taxi driver needs to read the highway code again as if the cyclist can touch the car, that car IS too close (see the first picture on that page for an illustration)
    https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/overtaking-162-to-169

A large amount of car drivers take a dislike to cyclists because of the small minority that do break the law (mostly jumping red lights), but those same drivers aren't aware of how vulnerable you are being a cyclist. Cyclists don't have a a steel cage with numerous safety features around them like a car driver does, all they have is a plastic helmet and lights.

I don't see why a cyclist should pay road tax - by cycling we are freeing up space on the road network, cutting down on carbon, cutting down reliance on fossil fuels and the cyclist is likely more healthy because of the commute as a by product. All things the government are pushing the country to do.

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Really?

A pedestrian wishing to cross the road doesn't pay road tax or insurance either, so maybe they have less rights than drivers to use the highway like this?

Seriously, we need to focus more on the unqualified drivers and uninsured cars on the road before we start worrying about taxing the friggin' cyclists. Oh and deal with the insurance fraud.

If a lot more people got out of the cars and on their bikes the roads could be switched from 'car first' to 'cycle first' thus making them nicer to use and the population would be healthier to boot.

tuk likes this.
  6. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

You don't have to provide your ID but I can tell you from experience it's better just to hand it over because they do have the power to make your day pretty bad.

The guy in the video is an idiot and I hope he got taken down the cop shop and fined.
    He ran a light and instead of coping it on the chin he thought he'd use his camera to try and get off.