1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiet PC problems.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by AlienwareAndy, 9 Oct 2013.

1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

At no point have I mentioned what this has cost me. Even when I was basically told after spending £280 on a board and CPU just to get things up and running that I would only be getting £80 for the board.

This has gone on for a month. I've called them more than enough times now tbh and spoken to several people, each time patiently explaining what's happened.

If it were me? ffs I'd just have paid the £280 and been polite about it. Even if it meant swallowing the £280. Not being pedantic and bartering over it.

The very fact that I've had the "People pretending to be some one else and promising a call back" treatment from this company says it all. Even the owner couldn't give a crap, because if he did then he'd have tried to appease me instead of just fobbing me off.

As an Aspie I really hate to give up on things but it's clear what has happened here. I've been fobbed off and messed around to breaking point. Usual practice for a Mickey Mouse company I've had it plenty of times before. They piss you around endlessly and then when you lose your temper they see it as a way out.

And they've won. I'm down £350 and they haven't had to pay out a penny. They also haven't had to go through the stress I have.

Last edited: 9 Oct 2013
  2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You can either look at it the way you are now, send emails that make you come across as an A-hole and get nowhere, come out with a loss and feel bitter about it.

Or you can look at it as a communication problem that is resolvable, take the approach I outlined above, and possibly get a reasonably satisfactory resolution.

It's your call.

3. AlienwareAndy

Well that means I'm screwed. Which is what I already figured out. How I gave it the patience I did for as long as I did is a mystery, especially when they were screwing me around.

I have problems speaking to people any way. I also have problems with context and god knows what else, and, absolutely despise liars and people who mess me around. When I'm told they will call I expect them to call. When I'm told they will pay for the motherboard I expect them to pay for it, etc. When I ask them a simple question four times and get ignored I'm bound to lose my temper.

I can no longer obsess over things the way I used to, it would kill me. Time for a couple more KO pills and an early night I think.

4. Nexxo

"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like...like old leather. And finally it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

--Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek TNG: The Wounded

I wonder if you are a bit, well, comfortable with the idea that you have an uncontrollable temper, that you cannot understand people and communicate with them. That is not to deny that you may have problems in that area, but they can become a wooden leg.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'm sorry if I've missed something, but why would Quiet PC tell you to go out and buy a replacement CPU and motherboard before they'd identified the components that were at fault? And why would you buy said replacements given that you weren't sure whether it was the CPU, the motherboard or both that were knackered? It just seems that unless both components were fried, you'd end up out of pocket because you'd be left with either a spare CPU or mobo (or even both, should no fault be found with your original stuff).

Of course, if you're saying that you've bought the replacement stuff from Amazon, used it for almost a month and are planning on returning it for a full refund, then I think that you're being a bit sly. You've been quite happy to screw Amazon and use them as a source of free stuff for a month (as they'll have a restocking cost incurred), but are up in arms that Quiet PC aren't playing ball with you.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, or if I've got the wrong end of the stick. I hope you get things sorted out, and as Nexxo says I think your best option is to try and get back in touch with the owner, Glen, by phone, and ask him to outline exactly what he's going to do to resolve your problems.

6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Sadly this has been my experience of a lot (not all, but a lot) of UK-based companies too. Contrast my support experiences with Noctua, who have twice now sent me a warranty replacement CPU fan from Germany based solely on my word in emails that the existing one had started making a noise. No returns, no need for proof of purchase. And when you consider how much their fans retail for, that's a hell of a commitment to customer satisfaction.

Germans, man.

7. AlienwareAndy

I knew I was going to lose out. I'd accepted that simply because I don't like being without my PC. However I at least thought they would replace what was damaged so I could keep it as a spare or sell it.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

The Swiss are pretty cool too. <3 Logitech :rock:

9. Nexxo

To be fair, Noctua (and Logitech) is a big company giving away its own hardware (which costs possibly a third to them of what it costs to us), while QuietPC is a small merchant. They handled this situation badly (most people are piss-poor communicators), but they cannot be so generous with their hardware. They work on tiny profit margins.

10. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

That's true, but QuietPC will have liability insurance which (save for an excess, the value of which I couldn't tell you) should cover them in this sort of instance. It's just some paperwork and hassle.

11. AlienwareAndy

I'll just stick to Amazon from now on even if it means paying more.

Board and CPU just arrived back.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not wanting to argue but i would disagree, from what i have read and seen in the YouTube clips they have done a lot more than most etailers. If anything i would say its a break down in communication, and not being succinct in what the problem with the MoBo is.

13. AlienwareAndy

I asked them to perform the same set of tests four times. Each time they just ignorantly replied saying it was fine and within spec.

But here's the thing. When I originally spoke to them they said that they'd never used a FX CPU before (obviously an Intel lot) and the differences in how to set them up and how they work is pretty different. So you would think they would listen to me and take onboard what I said. This was why they wanted me to send the CPU with the board as they didn't have one.

So I now have back a set of parts which are pretty screwed and nothing has been sorted.

14. Nexxo

That's what I was saying: this is a communication problem.

That's why you need to talk to them by phone. You managed to speak to the owner of the shop. Did you go over the tests you wanted done with him?

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yes you asked them to perform tests four times, and each time they seemed to think everything was fine. But even i had to read a lot before i realised what problem you where having with the MoBo, as you first mention about testing the overclock then say about running Prime at stock clocks.

Personally i wouldn't have said anything about overclocking, and just asked them to test that the CPU is running at the correct clock speed when running Prime, as every time i have tried this the CPU reports it's running at 2.8ghz and not the 3.5ghz that it should be.

16. AlienwareAndy

They've sent the board back. How can I get them to test it, spending all day explaining it, if they've sent the board back?

This isn't a communication problem at all. If there was a communication problem they would have said "I don't understand what you are asking us here, please explain it".

Instead they just continued insisting that it was working fine and within spec and have sent it back. What else am I supposed to do when met with such ignorance? send it back to them again?

It's really simple what has happened here. They got their dangerous cable back and basically did what they thought was testing the board, quickly declaring it working as then they don't have to pay for it. Then they sent it back.

So sorry dude. Whilst I understand that you seem to think that no situation is insurmountable and that everything and every one can be fixed with a few quotes? it doesn't always work out like that.

You tell me what I was supposed to do, other than continually phone them, email them and constantly ask them to test it properly. I gave it a month. Thankfully legal action is still available to me if I decide on it (you get three years on something like that).

17. Nexxo

It's too late now. What you could have done, is:

• Talk to them on the phone only. Don't give me the "they wouldn't return my call" argument; you were able to talk to the owner of the shop, on the phone. Opportunity right there.
    • Every time they emailed you, you could have simply answered: "We need to talk about this by phone". Nothing more, nothing less.
    • Limit yourself to talking about the problem at hand, not about how you feel, not about how much hassle it has been. Nothing can be done about the past.

That only happens when people are aware that there is a communication problem. They thought they understood you; they obviously did not.

You seem to think that no situation can be changed and no problem fixed. Acknowledging that things are fixable does not mean it is not hard, and does not mean that you're a failure if you couldn't. It just means acknowleding that if at first you don't succeed, you need to reflect, learn and try another way.

But as I said, that's your call.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2013
  18. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Genuine question:
    Why do Quiet PC (used them once, no drama, no bias) need to support your motherboard and CPU overclock?

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Because they offer a 2 year warranty , although as i said before i think the situation became very confused when there was mention of a overclocked CPU.

20. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I just had a quick read through this thread and I'm a bit confused, why did you keep asking them to run it at the overclock? You make it sound like you would be happy if they ran it at stock clocks and it was fine (didn't throttle etc) yet you kept asking them to run in the overclocked state?

They don't have to support an overclock, so surely all you should have asked was at default clocks with turbo enabled?

Sorry if I've missed something.