1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Quite simple. Which board.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 7 Feb 2012.

1. feathers

feathers Minimodder

That's a great price! Bargain! The pro version has nothing extra worth paying for.

Well I didn't push it or use OCCT for more than a couple of secs on auto at 5ghz but at lower speeds (4.4 or 4.8ghz) the auto voltage was only slightly higher than I could set manually.

It was perfectly stable on auto at 5 and the voltage went up to 1.52.

I ran it at 4.4ghz for a few weeks at first, then to 4.6, then 4.8 then created a manual overclock at 5.5 using offset voltage so the voltage doesn't stay high.

At 5ghz my CPU pretty much needs 1.51 to 1.52 even on manual.

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am leaning towards the Sabertooth at the moment for no other reason than it looks good. Not a particular intelligent reason I admit.

3. wodgah

wodgah What's a Dremel?

Suprised you say that about the FT02 i have this case matched with the sabertooth board and a noctua NH-D14 and it runs extremely quietly and cool with a steady overclock on my 2600k of 4.5 and i think looks very tidy myself. It is among the best air cooled cases around i think.

As for the board the sabertooth is £140 most places and can be had for lower if you shop around and for that price bracket i dont think you can get better.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

A bit puzzled by your post, I did not say that the case was noisy I just felt that there are to many design flaws particularly on a case that cost me over 200 quid.

Why on earth, if you are going to rotate the mobo so that the I/O is at the top do you not then hinge the lid?

there is certainly little room behind the motherboard tray to hide cables particularly if the cables have the old chunkier molex.

Why is it necessary to remove the top and both sides to get to your hard-drives.?

Nice looking case, superbly built, just poorly designed.

Yep it looks like the Sabertooth £148 on Ebuyer,will have a look around to see if I can get it cheaper.

5. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I have similar issues with the RV02, some of which are addressed in the RV03. Dust filters that I have to remove the top and side to reach? Why aren't the slotted into the underside of the case?:sigh:

6. wodgah

wodgah What's a Dremel?

Yes apologies i wrote an original post but then wiped it accidently :p then rewrote and somehow ended up on a bit of a tangent!

Originally i intended to say that i found the space behind to be ok for my needs but i see your points about the HDDs.

I do agree that it is an expensive case but at the time of its release there werent many other casing doing what it does with filters/airflow/cable tidying etc, i would guess the 800D would be the obvious comparison and that was pretty bad for air cooling and people seemed to love it for watercooling.

Anyways, apologies for sidetracking, i have a very positive experience with the sabertooth my one slight complaint would be i would prefer the heatsinks to be totally black :p

7. shankly1985

shankly1985 What's a Dremel?

Whats the difference between pro version and your version?
    Asus p8z68-vGen3
    Asus p8z68-vPro Gen3

???
    Edit
    It ok looked on there site, not really that much between them.

Last edited: 7 Feb 2012
  8. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Indeed. The difference was so insignificant. Nothing related to overclocking or big features. As far as I remember it was down to extra sata ports or something?

I think many people go for the Pro because they think it will be better overclocking or offer more features.

9. shankly1985

shankly1985 What's a Dremel?

Yer extra sata ports only x2 something about DTS thats what stud out other little things.
    I still getting the pro/gen3 version only because I now have the money for it, if I knew they was another version when saving I would have went with that.

10. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Is the sound different then? Haven't even used the onboard sound with mine. Auzentech X-Meridian 2G plugged in.

Pro or not it's a great mobo.

11. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I get to put PRO in my sig.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it...

12. feathers

feathers Minimodder

What does the pro stand for?

13. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Penis Resting Optional

14. boltonuk007

boltonuk007 What's a Dremel?

Price Rise Obviously

15. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Pedantically ridiculed (due to) overspending

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

17. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I currently have a MSI P67A-GD53 motherboard, and the only reason I am going to swap it out in March is because of PCI-E 3.0 and Ivy Bridge.

Currently running my 2700K at 5.0ghz and it will run it higher but the voltage required is insane at the moment for my cooling setup.

The board is stable and look's good as well.

I did have a Asus P8P67 Pro before and that was a good board as well.

I use to always buy expensive board's, but now I don't see the point as they don't really offer much more for people who are only gaming or using it for general use.

18. wodgah

wodgah What's a Dremel?

Fair enough on the board choice im sure itll do everything you need!

19. boltonuk007

boltonuk007 What's a Dremel?