1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress * r e f l e X i o n *

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Xion X2, 20 Oct 2009.

1. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

I enjoy watching a thread with pictures in this high quality! And that sidepanel looks GREAT. I can't wait to see you turn your sketchup-work into reality. I'll be following :)

2. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Hey I can see your camera and tripod... Wait! Is it the acrylic??

V.nice panel there :D

3. Xion X2

Xion X2 What's a Dremel?

Thanks, Spyrious. :)

Welcome to the project, jegerjon, and thanks for the kind words!

Thanks, woody!

Ok, here's another clue. ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Nov 2009
  4. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

The back is white cause he is using a softbox to light his photos...One of the reasons his photos look so good. That and he seems to have very good skill.

Case looks awesome too. Is that window like mirror? Will you be able to see the insides thru it? Or is it one of those mirror that when lit from the back you can see thru it?

5. Xion X2

Xion X2 What's a Dremel?

Thanks, sk8roy. And yes, you're correct. The perspex is mirror, and the white box that people keep seeing is the softbox showing in the reflection.

:D

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Ahh a softbox. Nice! Is it a piece of profesional photographry bought equipment or did you make it yourself if you don't mind me asking?

7. Xion X2

Xion X2 What's a Dremel?

I bought it. Actually have two of them, 1000W flourescents/ea. But the side panel shots were taken with only one lit.

8. sk8roy

sk8roy What's a Dremel?

Wow 1000watts..Those are some pretty bright lights. Are they variable output. I have 2 500w/s strobes with a couple softboxes myself.

9. Xion X2

Xion X2 What's a Dremel?

They're variable. Each has 5 bulbs that are controlled individually. :)

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The side panel turned out beautifully, they did some nice work.

11. Xion X2

Xion X2 What's a Dremel?

Thanks, man. I think so as well.

12. Xion X2

Xion X2 What's a Dremel?

In my line of work, it's important to map out a process or project so that you can track your progress toward reaching a certain goal. And so what I've done, given the ambition and scope of this project, is split things up into several different stages, and at the end of each of these stages I have what are called "milestones." These "milestones" refer back to what I like to think are major goals along the project life cycle that have been reached.

Milestone 1 was to complete the side panel design and to bring it to life. So now that this goal has been reached, before moving forward, I'd like to briefly reflect back on the original concept vs. the reality or end product. This I'm doing as much for me as anyone else so that I can track my own progress and how successfully or unsuccessfully the final product compares to what the original concept was.

So, Milestone 1:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I personally am happy with how the side panel turned out. I know that I will likely be painting it later, but for now I can sit it aside and move onto my next area of focus that I'm calling Milestone 2.

The Bay Assembly:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This will be my primary focus area for the next week or two. Bringing this part to life just as the side panel now is.

Thanks for checking in!

13. The boy 4rm oz

I really like your hard drive design, I can't wait to see it in action.

14. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

+1!

15. Xion X2

Xion X2 What's a Dremel?

Thanks, guys. :)

I've just finished the design and will go into production soon. I had to widen the perspex backing to keep the edges from showing through the windows, and I also added a U bracket to help support the weight of the drives against the side of the bay cover.

I've now termed this custom bay device that will contain both pumps, the four SSD drives and PSU as the "Zero Gravity Chamber." Here are some shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A view from the pump side.

[​IMG]

16. The boy 4rm oz

Looks fantastic, it really does. If it turns out anything like your side panel then it will be exactly as you designed it :thumb:.

17. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

omg, the sexyness! Subscribed!

I really like the concept of the suspended SSDs, though the prospect of having them connected worries me... SATA power and data cables together don't look all that slim, especially on a 2,5 inch drive, and they might seriously ruin the effect. have you concidered this?

18. Xion X2

Xion X2 What's a Dremel?

That's the idea. :thumb:

Yeah. There's no way to hide the wires with this concept, unfortunately, but I think with some finesse that I can still have a nice effect.

What I'll do is use p-clips to route the wires straight to the right of the window so that they're not dangling in plain view and look suspended in mid-air just like the drives. The power cables will both be sleeved black, as well as the sata cables. Since both the drives and the inside/outside of the chamber will be black, this will help them blend in with the surroundings so they won't be quite so obvious. :)

19. n0va

n0va Burnin'!

Awesome concept, and I'm sure the cables will not be too interrupting.

20. The boy 4rm oz

If you keep the SATA data and power cables completely horizontal it will look fine IMO, keep with the zero gravity effect. And yeah, keeping the cables black will help them blend in. Sounds like you have it all worked out :D.